Darius Boyd

About 40 years ago I ran onto Number 1 Sports Ground at the end of a Rep Game. My idol was Chang Langlands. I asked for his autograph and he pushed me aside and headed for the sheds. I then asked Ron Coote who asked me my name and signed my autograph book obligingly. Sportsmen have been having bad days for a very long time and will continue to do so.
 
That's why they say you should never meet your heroes, you'll only be disappointed.

Though the first time I met Gids I was in love lolol he was so nice and instigated a conversation with me and shook my hand *faint*
 
Or like me, was deep in concentration, walking up and down trying to guess which isle they put the paper towels in this week

THIS is the most annoying thing to shop for. No one seems to have a clue where to put paper towel!!! From next to the toilet paper to opposite the cereal, its elusive.

As for Mullen, love love love him and he is easily the nicest any Knights player has ever been to me and he is so respectful and kind every single time I've met him in every situation. He's my fav all around, If he keeps up the repeat sets this year he could be my favourite ever :D
 
Nicest players I've met were O'Davis, Simpson, Albert and Matt Gidley. That was after a game against Auckland in 2001 when I was 20 ... I was definitely super duper starstruck!!! Daniel Abraham seemed even more nervous than I was. :lol:

O'Davis was the best, really friendly guy.
 
Craig Smith was probably the friendliest player I've met. I got to go into the dressing sheds after a match and talked to him for ages. Great guy.

Surprisingly Johns was really nice too and of course Buderus and Kurt. Mullen was shy, but also kind.
 
Last edited:
Gidley, Simpson and Houston were great, Joey was arrogant - rude, bit shattered after that, he had been my idol for so long and I had defended him day in day out with his critics lol oh and the memorabilia I have, they don't know that but an act of kindness can go a long way
 
Mullen is pretty nice to us knights fans but I get the feeling he would be a bit rude to oppositon fans. I don't even know why I think that and probably isn't true but I've met some players from other clubs before and some are nice. Josh Dugan believe it or not is one of the nicest blokes I've met.

Obviously my favourite knights player was Adam macdougall. It took me so long to meet him for the 1st time but after that I ran into him all the time at games. I Even had a lengthy discussion with him at the footy show grand final episode last year.
 
Newcastle's a pretty small place, not only you always bump in long-lost friends, work-mates, school friends, randoms you keep seeing, it also applies with footy players.

I've seen Wes Naiqama randomly at least 3 times when he was here. Robbie O Davis twice in the SAME spot at the Merewether Stairs/baths where everyone works out, Wally Lewis became really interested in my personal life which was odd and countless others. Not too fussed about them, at best, it'll make my day. They're just normal dudes who manage to be good at footy. Big deal.

In effect, I couldn't give a **** if Boyd is a twat to the media or elsewhere, just perform on the footy field! (Though I do understand other fair points about being 'role models' and all that. *Cough Dugan *Cough)
 
Had the privilege of meeting Peter Wynn, Graeme Wynn and Laurie Daley at game 2 of the State Of origin in 2011 they were all great and took the time to sign every jersey and have photos taken shake hands etc..really pleasant
 
My mate who plays for redcliffe did a pre season with Brisbane last season and said that Corey Parker is a complete jerk. They all met after training one day in a conference room with all these plastic chairs sat out, and my mate sat in one with the rest of the team, Parker come up to him and told him to get out of his chair.(just a regular plastic chair same as the rest in the room) he was really rude about it. He also said Wallace was a great guy.

- - - Updated - - -

He said there were a few incidents like that with Parker.
 
Catch 22, Tallis's comments about your not talking to the media your talking to the fans are very true in my book.
 
My mate who plays for redcliffe did a pre season with Brisbane last season and said that Corey Parker is a complete jerk. They all met after training one day in a conference room with all these plastic chairs sat out, and my mate sat in one with the rest of the team, Parker come up to him and told him to get out of his chair.(just a regular plastic chair same as the rest in the room) he was really rude about it. He also said Wallace was a great guy.

- - - Updated - - -

He said there were a few incidents like that with Parker.

Are you the guy who has a mate who works for a rent a car that had Willie Mason as a rude client?

Now I'm up for hating Corey Parker for no good reason but I'll need some evidence first!
 
I agree to a certain extent. When he does run it for the Knights he looks good. I'm just glad he's thrown away the slow play the ball recently.
 
I knew a thread would come up about Boyd after tonight. Do people seriously not watch him play for the Knights, he runs back hard from kick returns everytime... Usually makes very good metres as well
 
Back
Top