Darius Boyd

Seeing the attitude he has in Origin on field compared to his on off field when in our colours shows how much pride he has in our colours.....
 
Yeah, that was my point.

Fans will always think like that though, you have to engage them positively to get them backing the team, or specific players.

Paul Harragon is a great example, could have become mayor of Newcastle, he was such a great guy with supporters.

Boyd comes across in interviews as thinking he's better than anyone else and they're not worthy of his time. It doesn't surprise me fans read the same thing into his slow play the balls, for example. That's the image he portrays to us.

Agree, I love the chief to!! Footy show not the same without him
 
Media commitment I agree that he is very poor, but a lot of criticism on this site is about his playing ability. I just think its unwarranted. You don't have to like the guy to appreciate what he brings to the side. I just think he gets judged poorly in playing ability by some cause they don't like his personality.
Personality aside, put simply he just doesn't provide enough bang for his buck for the club.
 
Media commitment I agree that he is very poor, but a lot of criticism on this site is about his playing ability. I just think its unwarranted. You don't have to like the guy to appreciate what he brings to the side. I just think he gets judged poorly in playing ability by some cause they don't like his personality.

I don't have too many issues with his playing ability apart from the fact I think he is more of a centre then a fullback. But he does what he is asked and fits into Bennett's system although I can't say the same thing if Rick was coaching us. I do also think there is some limitation to his game. As someone mentioned he is in that 2nd tier group of good but not great players. Probably overrated but he thinks he is in that elite group of Stewart, Slater etc.

Although I find he lacks the attention to detail greatly. Everytime we are on the backfoot and teams are kicking for another set of 6 it's usually McManus or even Mullen I see that is cleaning up the play and willing to get dirty to grab/dive for a contested ball and ground it or bat it dead. The only time I see Boyd bat it dead is the uncontested ones that are sort of midair and no one is around, but it's not worth getting it and bringing it back.

Even on goal line defence or in a break of play when an opposition team has momentum and they go for grubbers/chips I've seen Mullen literally dozens of times clean up the kicks or a loose ball yet. He's the first to be in your face for the opposition and arrogant when we're winning but the first to go missing when the going gets tough IMO.
 
I don't agree with the he's first to go missing bit. In all our defeats he like the others has made a blew or looked out of sorts at times but even against Manly where were thumped he had 16 hit ups for more m's than anyone else.
 
Their is no secret behind McManus form this year, a lot has to do with Boyd, as was the same for Morris at dragons.
 
That is very true to some extent, Darius has nothing to do with his form under the high ball both when attacking and deffending and on that note, Darius also has no impact on mcmanus' outstanding defence
 
That is very true to some extent, Darius has nothing to do with his form under the high ball both when attacking and deffending and on that note, Darius also has no impact on mcmanus' outstanding defence

So tru, didn't mean to take anything away from McManus definitely one of our best and most influential with snowden and Mullen IMO
 
Watching a replay on fox and when darius scores the try vs panthers aku dosnt even look happy or run in to congratulate him, like he was annoyed he didn't get it. I dunno wonder if some of these blokes like each other
 
Watching a replay on fox and when darius scores the try vs panthers aku dosnt even look happy or run in to congratulate him, like he was annoyed he didn't get it. I dunno wonder if some of these blokes like each other
Aku seems to be a bit of a hero. Wants the glory and isn't happy for other guys to steal the limelight.
Funny, because if I had to let a player go from our backline at the moment it'd be him.
 
Aku seems to be a bit of a hero. Wants the glory and isn't happy for other guys to steal the limelight.
Funny, because if I had to let a player go from our backline at the moment it'd be him.

Yeah true, just look at teams like souths everyone is so pumped for each other after something good happens, darius literally scored 5m from aku and he dosnt seem to even care or run over. Dead set where is his head at lately, he used to be a fan favourite cheering the crowd smiling etc, really havnt seen that for a while.
 
Interview with Wayne Bennett where he said Boyd injured leg against the Warriors and has been playing with it since. Will probably need the whole off season to be right.
 
Back
Top