Will Smith Signs with Panthers

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Ms.Nobody, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    What boys?

2. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

This is a real disappointing loss, one of those guys we put a lot of work & development into over the years, a local talent too.

3. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

We have to remember that we have a mountain of extremely talented backs already on the books, if Kev was no chance of getting a game it's no surprise guys like Smith are leaving. That's not Bennett's fault and I don't even see it as a fault, our backline is one of the best in the NRL and we have plenty of depth there as it is, unfortunately we can't keep everyone.

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I always saw him as a future backup #14 for us. Like I will be surprised if he is able to grab a permanent spot in first-grade as a centre or five-eighth.

5. Rednblue

Rednblue Rod Whitaker

What depth do we have for next year?

6. Junior11

Tahu, Quinn, the 3 Mata'utia brothers, Likiliki, Mantellato. There's 7 backup backs already. And even if a few of these players leave, we have young guys like Allison, Shippard, Elias, Tuha are all showing how good they are and can go up to reserve grade. Plus we have versatile backrowers who have experience in the centres also. Other teams would kill for that much quality depth, even after losing Kev and Smith. We're more than set in the backs imo.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  7. knights22

knights22 Adam Woolnough

Disappointed he's gone, really enjoyed watching him play last year, haven't watched any nsw cup games this year though.

8. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

They're all off contract.

9. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Yeh was going to say, they're all off contract and how many want to play second fiddle?

10. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

11. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Tahu will leave, Likiliki is a back rower now, who knows with the Mata'utia boys.
    Can see Quinn and Mantellato staying as they might not get offers elsewhere.

12. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    So if he wants to play 5/8 he is moving to a club to play behind soward? Who's their half?

13. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We really should let him go. He is lucky to hold a spot in NSW cup, and if worst came to worst, we could call up Brad Murray to fill his spot.

14. Junior11

They haven't signed elsewhere yet so they're still there atm, that's all I can judge it on. It was said the other day that Tahu is likely to stay, Likiliki has only played centre since he's come back that I know of, if he's played backrow it's only because he can't get a start in the backline, the rest are all staying too for at least next year you'd imagine. The point I was making anyway was that we have sufficient depth in the backline, there's other positions that need filling first.

15. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/lea...704-2peyb.html

Nephew impresses

Bryce Cartwright, the nephew of Gold Coast coach John Cartwright, has been rated the best player in the under-20s competition, according to SportsData's Contributor Value Rating system. Cartwright, who frustrated Panthers officials hope to give a run in the NRL this season if changes are made to the second-tier salary cap, starred for Windsor Wolves on Wednesday night by scoring a try and setting up two others in their 28-26 NSW Cup defeat of North Sydney. Panthers fullback Dallin Watene Zelezniak is third in the CVR for Holden Cup players, with Newcastle hooker Adam Clydesdale second.

Found that on LU. Good on Clydsdale being in second spot on their ratings system.

Been going on about the Panthers juniors and just how good some of them are in this thread. There's 2 of them in the top 3 with them only being 18 and 17 respectively. There are another good 3-4 players atleast that are not far behind these 2 either. Panthers will win a comp within the next 5 years imo.

16. Junior11

Just because you're good in the NYC doesn't mean you're going to be good in the NRL. Look at Canberra, they had one of the most biggest, most decorated and promising squad of juniors a few years ago that won the premiership and were tipped to give the Raiders a premiership by now, and still they've done nothing. And while Penrith continue to import players, their juniors won't stick around. Just look at us, you can't keep them all.

17. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Cartwright is a gun but has always had Daddy's help. Converting it into the NRL and playing well is key.

18. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Problem with the raiders and always has been is there is nothing to do down there and the young ones get bored ****less and stuff up over and over again. That has been their problem, not the talent of the players as a lot of them who won that NYC title have gone on to play first grade.

As I have said many a time already Junior. Majority of these signing over the last 2 years for the Panthers are stop gap solutions until these kids are ready. Look at Mosoe for example. Got him this year and are already releasing him early and he is off to England next year.

And at the moment yes the Panthers have kept all the ones in question until 2015 at least except for George Jennings who at the moment is off contract at the end of next year. These kids are the real deal. As a group of about 7-8 these kids are head and shoulders above everyone else in their age group.

For the life of me I just don't understand why Will Smith would go to this club. Sharks would of been the obvious one to me.

- - - Updated - - -

It's very interesting you say that and yet you are not wanting another experienced hooker for next year as Clydsdale will be up for long minutes in what will practically be his first full year in FG if Gidley goes down with injury... You will wanna hope he isn't one of those gun 20's players that can't make the step up... Just food for thought there.

19. Junior11

Clydsdale was good enough to make his debut already and looked the goods in his game time. There's confidence there. The same can't be said about these so called Panther superstars. I'm not saying they won't be talented first graders but to say they'll take the Panthers to a premiership in 5 years without them even playing a minute of first grade and not even knowing if they will all stay at the club for the next 5 years, maybe a little bit of a premature prediction. Just like the Raiders were.

Anyway, I only care about our juniors and rookies!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  20. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Bad evil Penrith juniors **** ... awesome knights juniors r awesome!