Toohey's News

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by slotmachine, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Lefty

Lefty Trent Estatheo

Retired
    No Tooheys news this morning (online), I wonder why?

2. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Annoying and why I subscribe.

Lefty likes this.
  3. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

i asked on twitter and he said he was having a day off so no Tooheys news today!

4. Lefty

Lefty Trent Estatheo

Retired
    Thanks for letting us know Josh.

5. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Herman Ese’Ese could still be a casualty for the clubs cap squeeze but it depends on other player movements
    - Involves Relying on Levi finding another deal and Guerra finishing his career overseas in 2020
    - Moga included but seems less likely
    - Next to no room to keep SKD and Hunt but again depends on how much room they can find
    - Would have gotten Su’a if it wasn’t for the above
    - The good news is Ramiens upgrade is accounted for in the clubs cap space

- Kalyn Ponga was never going to be risked for the Roosters game but club officials are more then happy with his recovery after undertaking a big session

- Dylan Phythian to make his return in the Newcastle Como, hope he gets his life back together

- Hammo won’t be calling games for abc anymore which is disappointing

6. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

How did we go from having a good nest egg to chase TPJ for next year to now needing to let 3-4 go??? Makes no sense to me.

7. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Big upgrades it sounds like. Plus Brailey which is still a wtf signing for me.

8. 88Knight4life

Who's big upgrades?
    Dan Saifiti
    Ramian
    Fitzgibbon
    Maybe 5-600k combind a year.

Who else?

With these lot not on the roster next year.
    Buhrer 180k
    Ross 350k
    Griffin 200k
    Stone 100k

That covers upgrades alone.

9. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

I don’t think the TPJ talks seemed serious, once he realised he wasn’t getting overs from other clubs he re-signed. May be last year before we signed Klemmer etc it May have been as he was touring the facilities from memory.

A lot of our signings were made in 2018 on three year deals who come off contract after 2020. As well as a couple of other guys like Lino who took two year deals.

Also you have to account for Ponga in a few years who’s salary will probably double at the least so the club don’t want to go too overboard.

I imagine some of the younger guys talked about here forward wise take up spots as well. So 2020 is a squeeze as understandably expected but after that they should be ok

10. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Sean Rudder

I can’t understand how we can be in trouble with the cap, signing and upgrades. Surely when planning that was all taken into consideration with the aim to making signings and releases to improve the squad over X amount of seasons with the aim to winning GF. Pulling a side apart to make room for new players who may or not be better is not the way to go.
    Signing Brailey while we still have Levi and possibly Griff for a start is stupid. Letting Ese’ese go when we have others (Gavet, King, Saulo) also seems stupid. Same can be said for overpaid Moga compared to underpaid but better performed Hunt.
    As said above we have a few players already not contracted beyond this year freeing up cap.

Lefty likes this.
  11. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Yeah everyone seems to be perplexed at the Brailey signing but then again so was everyone with Griffin and he was actually doing pretty well until he got injured.

At the end of this year we have Buhrer, Griffin, Hunt, Brodie Jones, SKD, Ross, Stone and Woolford and Randall from the developement squad
    - Ross has already been medically retired and I imagine he does not count toward the cap next year
    - Stone has also been released

- Other then wanting to keep Hunt which seems unlikely
    - I can't see the club keeping Buhrer, Griffin, SKD around
    - Maybe Jones and Woolford on 2nd tier deals or something for the NSW Cup, likewise with Randall

At the end of 2020 we have Barnett, Ese'Ese, Fermor, Gavet, Guerra, King, Levi, Lino, Moga, Ramien, Saifiti's, Sasagi(?), Saulo, Watson
    - Depending on whether Guerra secures another deal
    - Depending on if the club hold onto Ese'Ese
    - Depending on if Levi secures another deal elsewhere
    - Less likely Moga

- Daniel Saifiti, Ramien will be highest priority with Jacob Saifiti, Saulo, Fermor, Barnett not too far behind
    - Can't see Gavet, Guerra, Lino, Levi, Moga getting deals past their current ones at this current moment
    - No idea what the clubs plans for King are

The teams cap position is pretty flexible depending on who from the above they decide to keep. Fitzgibbon and Ponga are off contract after 2021 but the other players there are pretty expendable.

12. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It all comes down to us being flush with props.
    Eseese is one who has offers for what we are paying him.
    We have Jake Saifiti and Saulo who are both firstgraders in reserve grade.
    Momoisea is not far behind those two and improving rapidly.
    The only reason Brodie Jones hasn't moved to the middle is because we need him in the second row. He looks more like a prop every week.
    Zac Hosking plays 70 or 80 minutes at lock and can do 50 tackles and run 120 metres.
    Matt Croker has played several games of reserve grade and already looks as good as most of the others. I thought he was the best forward on the field for NSW under 20s last week, and that was against guys who are very close to firstgrade standard.
    Brandon Russell was in the Qld squad but missed the final team.
    Not all those guys will play firstgrade next year, but 3 or 4 of them will, and all of them will put pressure on King and Gavet for sure.

Meanwhile, we are short of halves, outside backs, fullbacks etc.

13. knightime

knightime Tim Maddison

As disappointing as losing Herman will be, he's a good pickup for another club who will be willing to pay his full salary. I can't see another club picking up King, Griffin, Moga, Gavet or Guerra on their full salaries. As Billy says, we have plenty of depth at prop currently.

So, I'd rather lose Herman and apply those funds towards upgrades for Ramien, DSaf, Ponga etc, before other clubs can (legally) negotiate with them. Then, we'll have King, Griffin etc have their contracts expire at end of 2020 and I suspect we'll lose a few there, although won't be disappointed about that simply because we can upgrade some of our juniors and look for upgrades in other areas.

14. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

What's your projection of our forward pack after next season in 2021?

Klemmer at one prop, Brailey at Hooker, D Saifiti the other prop
    Fitzgibbon as one starting backrower, Glasby as the other backrower, Barnett at starting Lock? (or swap Barnett and Glasby whatever one prefers)

Jacob Saifiti, and Saulo I imagine are regular first graders by then, Watson or Mann as a utility if they keep Watson (maybe Mann as a centre?), And then maybe a mix of one of those guys you mentioned or Sione as the last bench option, I don't know.

15. 88Knight4life

Ese'ese full salary is what his worth and probably worth more if given more game time.

I think the biggest issue is,
    The club got Glasby and Gavet not knowing what would happen with Klemmer, if we got Klem firsts? Id be surprised if both those guys got contracts here.
    I'd offer Gavet to other clubs yeasterday before letting Ese go.

16. knightime

knightime Tim Maddison

Definitely. Hands down on keeping Herman over Gavet. I just don't see any clubs willing to take Gavet though. Too penalty-prone and inconsistent. Herman is an easy sell, unfortunately for us.

Wobbles, Battler and slotmachine like this.
  17. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Gavet's salary wouldn't be close to Ese's though would it? The reason for letting Ese go would be to free up decent money.

Battler and slotmachine like this.
  18. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

This is the weird part for me. I’m all for upgrading what we’ve got but why are we bending over backwards to sign a hooker that’s not as good as the one we already have?

Hughburt6 likes this.
  19. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Who knows.
    18 months ago I'd never heard of Jirah Momoisea, and now he is in the firstgrade squad and if we had 4 injuries in our middles, he'd be in firstgrade.

R_A likes this.
  20. 88Knight4life

I wonder if the club being open to let Ese go is due to Hermans personal issues with his dad passing?
    Maybe Ese is willing to leave if either the Bulldogs or Warriors can sign him? But happy to stay in Newcastle if neither of those two clubs can afford him atm.
    Just food for thought.