Toohey's News

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by slotmachine, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Hughburt6

Hughburt6 Rod Shoesmith

I’m from the country and I live in Sydney cbd now. You Really have no point there

88Knight4life likes this.
  2. danknights

danknights Ben Kennedy

If someone was willing to give me a mill a year for 10 years there would be no complaints from me.

3. Lefty

Lefty Trent Estatheo

Retired
    Some people just don't like living in a big city.

I'm a Newcastle boy who has settled in Sydney but some of my relatives in Newcastle would not be prepared to move here.

4. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Scott Conley

Asset Manager
    I think Kaylyn is a strong young man with his own personal drive and dreams. We don’t know what these dreams are but I’m sure he won’t just leave because Dad says more money son let’s go. He’ll have his own design and will outgrow Dads preferences. Being tight with family is one thing but being your own man is another and young Ponga seems like a pretty strong man.

I’d still be throwing an upgrade from next year plus 3 new years if we can. He will attract better players to the club too.

Tasgirl and 88Knight4life like this.
  5. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

This is exactly what i want, upgrade him to 900k a yr from next yr onwards and with the tpa deals his got going im sure that would bring it up to 1.1-1.2m a yr.
    Add 3 SOO and a test or two and his getting 1.1mil plus tpa deals.

The only thing i can see him want to leave for is a All Blacks jumper.

6. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Go back to what I was saying at the time of him signing for the Knights. His old man is very much trying to live through Kalyn. I

All his bollocks about Ponga wanting to leave a year early etc was not true. He was pushing that because it would of been a massive pay rise for his son. Kalyn left on good terms with the Cowboys. His old man though.... not so good after the crap he was causing behind the scenes.
    These were said by the poster who had a son at the club and still has very good/reliable info coming from the club.

7. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Scott Conley

Asset Manager
    I’m sure his old man is alright and just looking out for his son to get the best deal. He clearly knew Kaylyn’s market value and has been proven right. My point is more that I think Kaylyn will go on his own path and seems smart enough (and in demand enough) to make his own calls as an adult. Silly Cowgirls should’ve stumped up :giggle:

8. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

More likely KP's dad saw the Cowboys were holding KP back and he was blocked at the time by Coote. Newcastle had an NRL starting fullback position waiting.

From my recollection there wasn't any sign from the cows that KP was going to take the fullback spot in the following year either.

9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Cmon guys it worked out great for both parties. We got the best young player in the game and the Cowboys got Lachlan Coote.

Wobbles, Lefty and Tasgirl like this.
  10. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Holding him back yet had no hesitations throwing him on debut in a finals match against our arch rivals the Broncos...

Signed him up to a 3 year deal when he was 15 with his last year a guaranteed position in the top 25(as it was at the time) for his final year.

They rewarded guys that had been there and done it previously while still upgrading his contract and still offered him a bloody good contract offer for a two game rookie at the time.

There’s no way they were going to offer way over the odds when there were several rep players on big money already and a couple expecting upgrades like Hess.

Newcastle offered way over the odds for a guy of that experience and his desired fullback spot. Was a no brainer for him to look at it and take it. That I have no qualms about. His old man though thought he would try and cut ties a year early so that there was several hundred thousands more in Kalyns pocket a year earlier then expected.

11. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

How’s re-signing Hess going for you?

Lefty likes this.
  12. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

You've been MIA a bit lately.. glad to see u posting more bedtime stories mate

Lefty likes this.
  13. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Turning Hess from an impact bench player that busts tackles into an 80 minute second rower was an interesting one by Greeney

14. Battler

Battler Ashley Gordon

Where's Coote? Is he injured or something?

15. knightime

knightime Tim Maddison

Are Knights one to talk though? We let players like Latrell, Tapine and Hudson Young go. Last 2 maybe not as high profile as Ponga, but there'll always be another team willing to snag another team's juniors. I'd include TPJ in that lot but not convinced he was a missed opportunity for us.

cowboyman likes this.
  16. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Apparently Latrell had a sh*t attitude. You can’t cop that especially from a 15 year old kid. He’s killing it at the moment but he seems like a bit of time bomb.

Canberra’s offer for Tapine was too good for him to refuse (not unlike Ponga to be fair) and whilst he’s been great for them when he gets on the park he’s spent just as much time injured.

I’m happy with the forwards we’ve kept ahead of Young tbh.

17. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Young was one of about 5 guys we had in that agegroup who all seemed like great athletes who could play either second row or centre - Brodie Jones was the best of them, but we also had Musgrove, Heath Gibbs, Sam McIntyre and Young - all over 185 cm tall, around 100kg and all natural athletes. We kept Jones and Musgrove, Gibbs and McIntyre both went to Wests with Gibbs coming back after half a season and McIntyre pretty close to making firstgrade at Wests now, and Young, who seemed the least likely, going to Canberra. It's just bad luck that the two we kept, Jones and Musgrove, seem to be almost constantly injured. I always thought the one who might be a bit of a surprize success was Heath Gibbs, who seems to have a bit of the mongrel in him that made his uncle Ron (Rambo) Gibbs one of the toughest going around in an era when there were some outright psychos playing (Ron Gibbs was such a psycho they changed the rules of the game to stop him trying to cripple halfbacks by diving at their knees with his head when they were kicking). Heath was always the guy who put his body on the line when that team was in trouble.
    We also had two almost identical props in that group - Pasami Saulo and Will Finau - I always thought Finau would be the better of the two, but he seems to have just stopped playing at 18 or so.

Of course, the other forward to come through with that lot was a smallish guy who looked like an accountant named Kurtis Dark who toiled away harder than anyone else in the side. He played lock with that junior squad, but I see this year he is in the Qld cup and is playing halfback, hooker, second row or anywhere else they need a player. He looks the least likely and least athletic of the lot of them, but I wouldn't back against him finding his way to the NRL. He just never stops trying. Last year we didn't have a goal kicker for under 20s, so he turned himself into a 90% goal kicker and we probably wouldn't have won the minor premiership if he hadn't kicked us to 2 or 3 victories during the year.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  18. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Battler Lachlan Coote is at St Helens.

19. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Would Tapine be in our starting now though? I’d struggle to think so. Not disappointed we let someone else pay 500k+ for him

Lefty likes this.
  20. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Not as a middle forward.

It might have been true at one point but it's been a long time since you could say the knights had all their superstar juniors poached. Cordner and Tapine are really the only two running around at the moment. And we stole Tapine from NZ anyway.