Toohey's News

The stuff about D Saf is pretty alarming. Basically saying he’s really battling just to get through 30-40 minutes - when, at his best, we’ve seen him come back on for a second stint after already having played 30 and absolutely turn the momentum of a game. Says he can’t actually put his finger on why, on where his motor has gone. The easiest explanation is that the game has gotten too fast for him, but I’m not sure it totally explains how drastic the drop off has been since even last year.

I feel like we’ve been reading this same article for a a couple of years now. Probably wrong, but feels it. If he could play half as good as he is at talking about how he needs to be better he should get a 6 or 7 out of 10.
Yep I reckon DSaff has been rubbish for a couple of years . If we could just put Crossland's heart into DSaffs body we might be a premiership contender🤔

The stuff about D Saf is pretty alarming. Basically saying he’s really battling just to get through 30-40 minutes - when, at his best, we’ve seen him come back on for a second stint after already having played 30 and absolutely turn the momentum of a game. Says he can’t actually put his finger on why, on where his motor has gone. The easiest explanation is that the game has gotten too fast for him, but I’m not sure it totally explains how drastic the drop off has been since even last year.

Did we hear anything about him coming back to pre-season overweight or out of condition?

Most NRL players keep up their training over the off season.

But I wouldn't be surprised if D.Saf kicked the feet up, got stuck in to some KFC and came back well underdone.

Anyway, all roads lead back to OB letting him get away with this rubbish for soo long!

Besides the pre season training and trials we are now coming into Rd 8, surely he should be fit by now and if having problems he should be seeking help/assistance from trainers and Coach.
Or is it “I Can’t Be Bothered”

Besides the pre season training and trials we are now coming into Rd 8, surely he should be fit by now and if having problems he should be seeking help/assistance from trainers and Coach.
Or is it “I Can’t Be Bothered”
As the senior prop in the club he should be someone setting the standards for prep & commitment for the young forwards coming up . We certainly aren't getting that . Bit of that is on Obi as well . Should be showing the young fellas where dedication & hard work will get you .

Maybe not a good idea to post rumours like this with no evidence, the site is responsible if anyone wants to sue and it would shut the place down.

Last edited:
If he’s just unfit why not drop him and tell him you’re not playing first grade again until you’re in shape.

The fact that Toohey has now called him out in two articles in just a few weeks and they started him last week, seems to suggest they think he is capable of performing better.

So what do they do when he does nothing this weekend as well?

At the end of the day they’ve brought this one themselves. They had an opportunity to nip this in the bud and set some standards in 22 when he was having a sook about Barnett going. They weren’t doing anything that year so dropping him wasn’t what was going to cost them matches. Instead they’ve just let him plod along doing bare minimum and now here we are.

The idea of him not being able to compete as hard as he would like is an interesting one. Leaving any talk of poor technique etc out, if he is feeling winded / out of breath real easy, maybe he has long covid?
Not sure if he ever got covid, but I see heaps of people with chronic fatigue type issues these days. Even young fit people.

The idea of him not being able to compete as hard as he would like is an interesting one. Leaving any talk of poor technique etc out, if he is feeling winded / out of breath real easy, maybe he has long covid?
Not sure if he ever got covid, but I see heaps of people with chronic fatigue type issues these days. Even young fit people.
I was talking about this possibility with my daughter tonight. I'm pretty sure his name came up when talking about covid disrupting preseason 23. I wondered then if some might suffer on going issues

I remember an article a few years back saying he really struggled to come back after getting covid. It coincided with his form being massively poor too. Wonder if there is something to it?

It does sound like Dan might have some medical issue, and after effects of covid would be one thing a doctor would look at - but there are dozens of things from low iron levels to gluten intolerance to early stages of diabetes to low vitamin D levels etc etc etc that could cause fatigue. Most of those things are easily diagnosed and treated.
I assume all the players have regular physicals to check for all those things, but maybe Dan needs to get tested for some less likely causes.

Back