Toohey's News

11/4
Leo Thompson is the top signing priority. He is signed for next year but the club wants to have him extended by November so other clubs can't make him offers.

Brailey got players player award for Saints game.

Parr identified goal kicking as a problem when he arrived here and hired Halligan. The big improvers under Halligan are Ponga, Will Pryce, Tom Cant and Dane Gagai. On a wild and wet night Ponga and Pryce kicked 10/11 between them this week.

Joey gave up his coaching spot due to health issues meaning he didn't want to drive up by himself. He is welcome back if things change.

Toohey gives himself credit for calling out Dan Saifiti under a sub-heading "The giant awakens". He says Saifiti has said he felt "challenged".

Dylan Lucas has taken his opportunity and O'Brien will find it hard to leave him out of the 17 when Frizz returns.

11/4
Leo Thompson is the top signing priority. He is signed for next year but the club wants to have him extended by November so other clubs can't make him offers.

Brailey got players player award for Saints game.

Parr identified goal kicking as a problem when he arrived here and hired Halligan. The big improvers under Halligan are Ponga, Will Pryce, Tom Cant and Dane Gagai. On a wild and wet night Ponga and Pryce kicked 10/11 between them this week.

Joey gave up his coaching spot due to health issues meaning he didn't want to drive up by himself. He is welcome back if things change.

Toohey gives himself credit for calling out Dan Saifiti under a sub-heading "The giant awakens". He says Saifiti has said he felt "challenged".

Dylan Lucas has taken his opportunity and O'Brien will find it hard to leave him out of the 17 when Frizz returns.
Other part to the Leo story which stood out is Barry basically confirming his brother Tyrone will be signed on a development deal before June 30. Surprised it'd be a development deal, but smart business to see if he enjoys transition to league and if all goes well all the chances to bump contract next season. Leaves us the remaining $$ to still sign a potential solid backline player to top 30 still.

Other part to the Leo story which stood out is Barry basically confirming his brother Tyrone will be signed on a development deal before June 30. Surprised it'd be a development deal, but smart business to see if he enjoys transition to league and if all goes well all the chances to bump contract next season. Leaves us the remaining $$ to still sign a potential solid backline player to top 30 still.
I thought the Tyrone thing was old news, but I suppose it hasn't really been confirmed in print till now.
Tyrone will be getting paid for the year for his work with Union and will be free to join us as soon as the Union season ends, so our development deal will just be topping up his income for the year. He should be fully match fit when he arrives and I expect he'll have been working on whatever Leo has told him he needs to work on for League, so I think he might be ready for short minutes off the bench in firstgrade within weeks of arriving.

Are the All Blacks and provincial comp as popular as ever James?
No, they’re all hugely down in popularity. The provincial competition is downgrading to local parks, because nobody shows up to games. Super Rugby has just been treated as a trial for the All Blacks with players forced to rest and all this, which has taken a lot of the gloss off. And generally the rules are making the game very bad to watch.

The All Blacks still sell out their big games, but a lot of the passion is gone. The Warriors are a much bigger drawcard these days.

I wonder if Rugby Union is struggling in the UK as well? I don’t follow Union so I really don’t have any idea.

I thought the Tyrone thing was old news, but I suppose it hasn't really been confirmed in print till now.
Tyrone will be getting paid for the year for his work with Union and will be free to join us as soon as the Union season ends, so our development deal will just be topping up his income for the year. He should be fully match fit when he arrives and I expect he'll have been working on whatever Leo has told him he needs to work on for League, so I think he might be ready for short minutes off the bench in firstgrade within weeks of arriving.
i cant see him playing first grade this year, union match fit and league match fit are 2 very different things. he will need to spend some time getting fit and leaning up a touch.
cant see us sitting out hethringron eithet to experiment with a convert project, he will have to impress in cup and bide his time.

No, they’re all hugely down in popularity. The provincial competition is downgrading to local parks, because nobody shows up to games. Super Rugby has just been treated as a trial for the All Blacks with players forced to rest and all this, which has taken a lot of the gloss off. And generally the rules are making the game very bad to watch.

The All Blacks still sell out their big games, but a lot of the passion is gone. The Warriors are a much bigger drawcard these days.
Yeah that's very shocking if true. NZ I always thought was Union heartland. Wonder how it's doing in Europe. The NRL needs to take advantage and I think we've got the guys in charge to do it.

i cant see him playing first grade this year, union match fit and league match fit are 2 very different things. he will need to spend some time getting fit and leaning up a touch.
cant see us sitting out hethringron eithet to experiment with a convert project, he will have to impress in cup and bide his time.
There will be more injuries and suspensions. We're doing okay now but it doesn't take much. Past the guys that we've already used in first-grade this year we have a couple a rookies in Paul Bryan, Myles Martin. I don't think Tyrone is gonna be far off.

Wow that’s crazy with Union in NZ. The warriors are getting sellout crowds most games aren’t they? If that the case I’m sure the NRL will be seriously considering a second team in Christchurch the next expansion.

Imagine how much stronger NRL would be if a number of NZ unions boys convert to league!

Yeah that's very shocking if true. NZ I always thought was Union heartland. Wonder how it's doing in Europe. The NRL needs to take advantage and I think we've got the guys in charge to do it.
The NRL doesn't need to much tbh, Rugby has been slowly killing itself for decades.

Its poorly run, doesn't have central management, is very political and simply isn't as entertaining as League, which is a huge problem that Rugby in Europe and SA has done nothing to address.

Being a rugby player my whole adult life (300+ games) and life member, it is really sad to see what the game has become. I agree with you it has become unwatchable due to the laws of the game. It's way to stop/start. Super Rugby will be dead within 10 years.

Wow that’s crazy with Union in NZ. The warriors are getting sellout crowds most games aren’t they? If that the case I’m sure the NRL will be seriously considering a second team in Christchurch the next expansion.

Imagine how much stronger NRL would be if a number of NZ unions boys convert to league!
I’d definitely be looking seriously at a second team over here if I was the NRL.

Just saw this article which summarises a few of the current problems for union over here. It’s also looking increasingly likely the best players will start to head overseas for more money and still be able to be selected for the All Blacks, which will really be a death knell for the domestic competitions here: https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/04/09/analysis-whats-going-on-with-rugby-in-new-zealand/

Being a rugby player my whole adult life (300+ games) and life member, it is really sad to see what the game has become. I agree with you it has become unwatchable due to the laws of the game. It's way to stop/start. Super Rugby will be dead within 10 years.
Wow I stopped watching it 10 years ago due to the stop start and no stop penalties, it must be SUPER bad now.

Tyrone has a good headstart.
He spent some time training with us earlier this year and he has a guy he knows really well who he just has to train and play like, because they have identical builds and skillsets.
Most guys moving from Union to League would need to work out where they will play and what style would suit them. Tyrone just needs to be just like the guy in the next bedroom.

Agree totally, that is just common sense.

Back