THE GRAND FINAL VS ROOSTERS ❤️💙❤️💙❤️

Stats mean nothing when Young, Sharpe, Ponga, Marzhew, Best, Manuleleua, McEwen, Gagai or Hunt can score from anywhere and at any time.
My stats post was mostly to demonstrate that it took a pretty special performance from a number of their players to beat us. And I feel when you’re making significantly more tackles - it takes a bit out of the attack as well. I’d also be here raving about how inspiring it was if Ponga ran almost 400m.
I thought Mark, Tedesco, Whyte or DCE could’ve all grabbed the CC. Even Leniu put in a pretty mean effort to bend us back and force errors.

We had them worried. They did their homework though. They took a field goal we worried them so much.

They picked the most unlikely spot we can score from - the corner. So they targeted the corners. They kick and either come down with the ball and threaten to score or we have to work it out of our own 10m. Then they jam us with the line speed to limit our metres and we end up with a clearing kick that they kick pressure (and got a hand to once).

They get the ball back on their 30, Tedesco and Mark get it up field to get their forwards back onside, and then their forwards hit it up and get DCE into a position to kick for the corner again. Repeat. Boring. But it worked.

We never really got too many opportunities to spread the ball or chance our arm.

I think the Roosters gameplan was pretty much as good as it could have been to counter our strengths, with their squad virtually full strength and they executed it to perfection…and even then it was only 1 point better.

That tells me how good this Knights team is, and how good they can be with all hands on deck.
Anyway, promise my next post will be focussed on us.
 
IMG_5145.jpeg
 
I’m hoping this is my first and last post like this. Congrats to the Roosters - but we made them work for that.

This is what it took to beat us.

Tedesco - 380 run metres*, 83 post contact, 12 tackle breaks *new record for run metres in any NRL game topping Guthersons 369m set in 2020.
Nawaqanitawase - 237 metres, 90 post contact, 5 tackle breaks, 2 tries.
Whyte - 17 runs, 189 metres, 78 post contact, 4 tackle breaks,
Nat Butcher - 22 runs for 167 metres.
Leniu - 7 runs, 94 metres and 42 post contact.

13 of our players made 20+ tackles.
9 of theirs did.

Knights 90+ run metres - 7 (Crokes with 88 makes the cut cause I’m feeling like a Bondi accountant).
Roosters 90+ run metres - 11 players

They put a lot of effort into that game - they were relentless with their running. They played their perfect gameplan. We were gallant in defence. We had to dig deep to defend them and for the most part, we did.
The difference in the end…they got lucky:

- Mark soccering it one foot, to the other, and in behind to dive on. Not many can do that - I don’t think kicking it twice was in his plan either
- Billy Smith somehow getting that ball down despite the desperate efforts to stop him.
- a GRUBBER bouncing up to hit the corner of the crossbar and post, and Mark going over in the corner.
- even that one they gave him where Mark somehow catches it and puts it down while seemingly in the air was incredible athleticism.

Talk about kissed on the you know what.

I’ve said it before, DCE just had so much time to place his kicks. He’s too good to be given that much time. Just relentlessly targeting the Marzhew - Mark matchup.

Anyway, I guess my point was that it took a lot to beat us. They threw everything at us, let’s not pretend they walked that. It perhaps looked dominant due to our fatigue - but not nice did our team give that up.
We held the gloves up and kept fighting - in the end it’s those flukey moments and luck that separated us.
I can absolutely see the players using this to ensure they don’t lose another one.
Spot on in identifying what it took to beat us.

Spencer is almost as bad a matchup for our middles as Mark was for Greg. I was really hoping Watson got cleared so Leniu didn't see the field.

The performances of our undermanned pack have relied on guys making those 1% efforts consistently - just getting enough into a tackle to prevent a linebreak/half-break that lets the other side build unstoppable momentum. Roosters had the privilege of having Spencer replace the freak that is Naufahu Whyte, who had already set a dominant platform so that Spencer was able to run downhill - it's practically impossible for a fatigued middle defence to handle Spencer in that situation, every carry is so dominant that you're left with a retreating A+B defender and rarely 2 markers - 1% efforts can hold you up in a grind that is somewhat evenly-matched but aren't capable of preventing the momentum of a genuine impact middle.

In the modern game these guys are rare because they usually don't have the gas tank to be useful in every game situation but in the right circumstances they can either completely turn the momentum of a match or provide a killing blow to a side barely holding on - Spencer is, IMO, by far the best in the current game - Nelson Asofa-Solomona had a similar capability albeit in a different style - both could be double-edged swords for their team.

Whyte was unstoppable, Foketi killed us with late offloads, Collins always performs in big games - their pack was superb.

Obviously they don't win without Mark, it is a crime against sport that he is wasting his talent in Japanese Rugby next year. Billy Smith was exceptional and troubled Gags bigtime.

Teddy deserved his Clive - we lost due to sheer weight of possession/field position and their inability to give up unforced errors. 38 runs for 388m exemplified this, the ****** was exactly where I didn't want to see him at all times (everywhere).

I'll now follow all that regrettable Roosters glazing with comments that I don't want to sound like sour grapes - beating us by one point is (obviously) a credit to us but surely has to be viewed as the worst performance by a winning halves pairing of all time. Their only attacking threat was kicking to a generational talent on the wing who has a 5-inch height advantage (and probably a 10+ inch reach/vertical jump advantage) on his opposite number.

- Tackles in the opposition 20: 51 vs 6
- Possession: 58% vs 42%
- Run metres: 2101 vs 1447

Yet it ends up 3 tries all, 3 linebreaks to 2, and a one point win (including a penalty goal). Obviously this critique is no sweat off their back, they won and the team deserved it, but if I see any media glazing DCE/Walker for that win I will be ropeable. If you replaced either of DCE and Walker with Hugo Savala they still win that game - different story for their pack and back 5.
 
I think I was so exhausted from waiting for the game to start to then being in shock we led at the break after being steam rolled that when the game needed I was just happy. Happy to see the team and club in the GF happy to see how excited the Hunter Valley was throughout the week.

I woke up his morning and drove to work and I wasn't heartbroken with the loss. I was actually still humble to think this is just the beginning. This team will only improve from here. Holbrook and staff will only improve what they can do with this squad. The junior talent will only improve the team in the years to come.

On the game. and in short. To repel them on our line as much as we did was truly incredible to watch, it was a shame we couldn't muster much in that second half, but credit to the capless Roosters, their forwards were unbelievable. Fact they relied on Marky Mark to come up with some decent plays to win and a bounce of the ball. It's the type of loss that the club and town can be proud of and focus on fixing next year with some big names to come back.

Next year will be thrilling to watch as I expect us to be top 5 at a minimum
 
Two knock ons in the first half by croker doing routine hit ups. No comparison to someone like Yeo or Murray. Marzew probably came up second best in 10+ contested bombs. Might not be a popular opinion but guys like mark, sualli, Folau, Coates etc do a lot better than the really short guys. Both have their strengths but really need to develop our squad to be competitive at that level in my opinion.

IMO next time we play roosters they continuing to kick to Greg and he will have lost a lot of confidence from that game. Defence eyes will also light up when they see croker run the ball.
So we should get rid of Greg because Xavier Coates exists, Folau is retired, and there’s two athletic freaks playing another sport?

Yes some players are taller than Greg and will be able to out leap him. Greg can also trample a lot of them into the ground
 
You can’t go down to the winger store and replace Greg with another yardage monster who’s 6’4” unfortunately. The good massively outweighs the bad. If we have all our middles next year and can match other teams better in that area, Greg will get us rolling. Footy is a game where everyone’s performances are linked to those of their teammates.
 
The only way Greg gets dropped is if he comes back next year unfit ( which I doubt) or he loses his confidence big time ( can’t see that happening under Holbrook to be honest)
 
Obviously I am so proud of the club and honestly as a 30 year old fan that finals was the most enjoyable period of following this club in my life.

Cant help but feel they wake up today though and think they’ve let that slip. We knew the roosters attacking kicks were going to be a problem but last night was painful watching us try to defuse them. Dropping the ball after our first two tries was just criminal and gave us no chance of building momentum. It was a Herculean effort but I think with a bit more footy smarts we would’ve won the game last night.
 
Didn’t sleep a wink last night. Still crushed.

First thing I see when I turn on the TV this morning is the Roosters celebrating.

I was initially OK after the game but as the hours have gone on… I’ve felt worse. Anyone else like this?
It certainly made my hangover feel worse this morning
 
I’d just like to congratulate our team for such an awesome season. So many major injuries and suspensions, yet we fell short by 1 point. Our guys showed so much courage and resilience last night and throughout the year

Unfortunately we fell just short to a Roosters side that played an almost perfect game. They dominated field position, attack our weaknesses, gave away very few penalties and made hardly any errors

As much as it hurts us all right now, Roosters do deserve credit for their win

In saying that, if Marty Mark doesn’t play and do his usual freakish stuff, that no one can plan for, in my opinion we would have won

Bring on next year and let’s go one better

GO THE KNIGHTS
 
Obviously I am so proud of the club and honestly as a 30 year old fan that finals was the most enjoyable period of following this club in my life.

Cant help but feel they wake up today though and think they’ve let that slip. We knew the roosters attacking kicks were going to be a problem but last night was painful watching us try to defuse them. Dropping the ball after our first two tries was just criminal and gave us no chance of building momentum. It was a Herculean effort but I think with a bit more footy smarts we would’ve won the game last night.
I feel they are extremely proud as Holbrook said, they are enjoying and have the time of their life playing. Let's not forget Dolphins got massacred last week and Roosters didn't play as well last week. If we were luckier on the injury/suspension front or the Roosters unluckier/fairer it likely would be a different result. We did absolutely fantastic. The first year that the runner up will be more remembered than the winner.
 
Spot on in identifying what it took to beat us.

Spencer is almost as bad a matchup for our middles as Mark was for Greg. I was really hoping Watson got cleared so Leniu didn't see the field.

The performances of our undermanned pack have relied on guys making those 1% efforts consistently - just getting enough into a tackle to prevent a linebreak/half-break that lets the other side build unstoppable momentum. Roosters had the privilege of having Spencer replace the freak that is Naufahu Whyte, who had already set a dominant platform so that Spencer was able to run downhill - it's practically impossible for a fatigued middle defence to handle Spencer in that situation, every carry is so dominant that you're left with a retreating A+B defender and rarely 2 markers - 1% efforts can hold you up in a grind that is somewhat evenly-matched but aren't capable of preventing the momentum of a genuine impact middle.

In the modern game these guys are rare because they usually don't have the gas tank to be useful in every game situation but in the right circumstances they can either completely turn the momentum of a match or provide a killing blow to a side barely holding on - Spencer is, IMO, by far the best in the current game - Nelson Asofa-Solomona had a similar capability albeit in a different style - both could be double-edged swords for their team.

Whyte was unstoppable, Foketi killed us with late offloads, Collins always performs in big games - their pack was superb.

Obviously they don't win without Mark, it is a crime against sport that he is wasting his talent in Japanese Rugby next year. Billy Smith was exceptional and troubled Gags bigtime.

Teddy deserved his Clive - we lost due to sheer weight of possession/field position and their inability to give up unforced errors. 38 runs for 388m exemplified this, the ****** was exactly where I didn't want to see him at all times (everywhere).

I'll now follow all that regrettable Roosters glazing with comments that I don't want to sound like sour grapes - beating us by one point is (obviously) a credit to us but surely has to be viewed as the worst performance by a winning halves pairing of all time. Their only attacking threat was kicking to a generational talent on the wing who has a 5-inch height advantage (and probably a 10+ inch reach/vertical jump advantage) on his opposite number.

- Tackles in the opposition 20: 51 vs 6
- Possession: 58% vs 42%
- Run metres: 2101 vs 1447

Yet it ends up 3 tries all, 3 linebreaks to 2, and a one point win (including a penalty goal). Obviously this critique is no sweat off their back, they won and the team deserved it, but if I see any media glazing DCE/Walker for that win I will be ropeable. If you replaced either of DCE and Walker with Hugo Savala they still win that game - different story for their pack and back 5.
If the situation was reversed and we waltzed into the finals the easy way, unscathed, and at full strength and they were without Whyte, Collins, Walker and Robson, I think we win by more than one point
 
Not sure how many will agree on here as the hurt from a 1pt loss is still raw but for me this year was almost the best year (outside of 97) that we’ve had.

I’ve been so critical of the lower placed teams trying to improve themselves to be a better version of the Panthers and Storm in recent years. Brisbane played that ad lib style last year and in 23 and the Dolphins were similar this year but it was so refreshing to have a coach come in, look at what stock we have, cross train a few to cover various positions and actually formulate a game plan around it. And it was bloody good football to watch too.

I do think some credit has to be given to the O’Brien era - I think our structural defence improved a lot through those years even if our attack was at best hit and miss. Not sure I give AOB the credit for that myself - some of you closer to the club will know better - but watching the Titans this year I reckon McDermott is the guy behind some of that. They look at the start of a similar defensive overhaul.

But just the way Holbrook connected us back to the community, POS has recruited well, junior pathways seem back - the things that made us Knights. All the reasons why even though he took us to a prelim I never liked what we were through the Bennett/Tinkler years and we paid for it for a decade. I’m originally far north coast NSW growing up so the Novocastrians here will know far better than me about connecting with the town but it looks to be back and not just because we are winning.

Before Brian Smith left I thought he had us playing a similar style of footy and we were on the up then but Brian never seemed a connector quite like Justin and it also appeared we were edging away from our juniors a bit.

Unfortunately it was the Chooks again to beat us - my most angry and disappointed finals moment was watching us blow a 16-2 half time lead in the prelim in 2000 against them. Hurt most because I wanted a shot at beating the Broncs that year. That to me was always our best side so far, albeit I think the loss it’s what drove a lot of them to glory in ‘01.

So hopefully we repeat on that. But like ‘97 when a fractured game almost needed the people’s side to show them the way forward and stop squabbling I think this year we sent out hope to all sides that anything is possible and more importantly to coaches to stop hitting copy paste on winning formulas and actually do some proper coaching. The game will be far better for it if the Knights provided that lightning bolt moment this year.

So maybe not a win this year but I will always remember this year for a year we came from nowhere, won a fanbase back and more importantly when I return to NZ tomorrow a team that has won a bit of respect back. Sometimes it can be the years you produce the unexpected that are more rewarding than the years you win (like 97 following 95 or 01 following on from 00). Well … almost. Winning is still good!
 
I also feel worse now that it's had time to simmer. 1 point is agonising. I hope to God it's not another 25 years.
Gotta be in it to win it as they say, and I'd damn sure rather be in a GF over copping another spoon.

I'm not someone that takes pride in losing so I won't say I'm proud, but I can't really complain either.
When I weigh it all up, man, what an incredible season. And despite the loss, it feels strange to say that I actually think our window is wider now than it was before the game... bizarrely. Like Rocky, we now know we can do it, we just need to do it.

I'm anxious to get to round 1 next year to see how they respond. Does it light a fire and we do what Penrith and Brisbane did after their losses... or does it kill us? Time will tell I guess. I do trust Holbrook though, he has showed he can keep a team hungry with St. Helens. The key at this point is obviously fitness.

My expectation now is top 4 and in the mix for the next 5 years.
 
Back
Top