The Cricket Thread

Exactly, Clarke got over 300 and won the test for the Aussies.

He is a team player, I don't understand why some of you are complaining why he didn't go for it.

By complaining you mean, discussing his decision to declare?

Well, you know ... it's a DISCUSSION FORUM? :crazy:

It's not that he's a team player, it's that he could have easily got it and had plenty of time to win the test

And if he had gone for it where do you stop. What if he had made the 400 and Hussey was still there apporaching 300. Do you let him go for it. And if you do what do you do if by the time he makes 300 Clarke is approaching 500. It could have gone on and on and on. How do you make the call whats far and whats not, i can make 400 but you cant make 300, i can make 500 but you cant have 300. And what if they had battered for the rest of day 3 before declaring what was not to say that India wouldn't bat as good as Australia had fresh on day 4, or that it would have rained for part of day 4 allowing the Indians to draw the game.

It's all well and good with the benefit of hindsight to say he should have, but at the time he made the correct decision, and it is still the correct dicison. The wickets Australia took on day 3, the opening batter's weary from a sunny day of fielding may have both made centuries fresh on day 4.

By complaining you mean, discussing his decision to declare?

Well, you know ... it's a DISCUSSION FORUM? :crazy:
He would of been criticized whatever choice he would of made. His form of recent hasn't been good at all, hopefully now this massive score will give him confidence heading into the next test. He has a alot of time to be seen as a legend and think he definately has the potential to be included with the likes of Bradman, Lara etc.

Either way People would have complained imo. There complaining Now because they think he declaired (spelling) to win the fans over but if he went on to make the 380 (which there is nothing to say that he would have) and The test match would ended in a draw then he would have also had fans complaining. IMO i would have loved to see him get the 380 or atleast bat the rest of the day and have 2 days to bowl India out.

I haven't seen anyone complaining. I think he's been heavily praised for the early declaration. That's what I find interesting, the mindset of the Australian public on this one. Is it all down to holding Bradman in such reverence?

I reckon any other cricketing nation in the world would have batted on, in that situation.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

And given the sides usual ruthless attitude of not just wanting to win, but to win by as much as possible and humiliate the opposition, I expected it from Australia, too!

Didnt mean so much on here. But there has been people complaining saying it was all to win the crowd over

I think it's just appraised because it was seen as a team move. After day 2 he went into an interview and even then he was speaking about the win and kept dodging questions about his own total (the most we got was 'yeah I think i'm batting pretty well').

In my mind I think he declared at the right time (forgetting individual totals). The Indians could have very realistically batted out two days considering the pitch looked very ripe and their roster. Laxman, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dhoni and Dravid all have the capability of batting very long hours so we needed to make sure there was plenty of time to bowl them out and if they somehow happened upon our total, we were given enough time to chase (very unlikely we'd ever have to chase anything)

India were never going to go close to batting two days. I wouldn't back any team in world cricket to bat out days four and five, away, and on a pitch that isn't a total road, these days.

This is amazing:

[video=youtube;9Wq5MHIRWqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9Wq5MHIRWqQ[/video]

The NZ domestic 20-20 league has been very entertaining I must say.

You'd be pretty damn gutted to get out caught like that!!! :lol:

What a century by Warner though, outstanding!

If Australia can whitewash the series, surely they must consider taking India from no 2 in the test rankings?

I don't know how India are still up there tbh! They can't win on a pitch which slightly favours the bowlers.. they got swept by England and hopefully Australia (both of which have bowler friendly pitches with the exception of a few)

I don't know how India are still up there tbh! They can't win on a pitch which slightly favours the bowlers.. they got swept by England and hopefully Australia (both of which have bowler friendly pitches with the exception of a few)

It's not the bowler friendly pitches per se, it's the type of pitch. Clarke scored 300 in Sydney and Warner blasted 100...the pitches themselves are really balanced IMO, bit of something for everyone.

I don't watch the subcontinent matches but I imagine their pitches would be dustier, drier and probably more flat. I'm no expert, but the Indians look like they struggle with anything with the tiniest hint of green.

I don't think the pitches have anything to do with it, all these batsmen have flourished on all types of pitches.

It's just the fact that their batsmen are getting on and can no longer crank out the types of runs that they used to.

And their bowling attack is poor.

I don't think the pitches have anything to do with it, all these batsmen have flourished on all types of pitches.

It's just the fact that their batsmen are getting on and can no longer crank out the types of runs that they used to.

And their bowling attack is poor.
This is true, since Cowan was out in Sydney, India has taken 1/770.

Back