Round 9: Knights v Raiders @ Canberra Stadium

It hurts me to say this, gidley needs to go away... besides hooker there is no other spot for him... and he can't go back to fullback... what a 200th game to remember!

Poor guy. His jersey had the writing on it saying 200th game ... imagine getting that one framed! He probably wants to burn it!!!

I know he cops a lot for what he does on the field, but the way he was in the press conference at least shows he really cares about the side and how they perform. If every player had his attitude we'd be going a lot better.

I totally disagree with everyone, you're all so emo. It's bull**** we don't fit Wayne's playing style, it was the errors that prevented us from playing well.

What was happening when we were playing error free? We were up 14-0. I remember arguing this last year when we were playing some crappy error football & everyone lost their **** saying how we didn't suit Bennett, then the errors cleared right up & we were playing well. We start playing some good footy when we are error free.

I'm not saying we're the perfect team when we are, because I know we're not, we still have the problem of not getting up for games, but the errors killed us yesterday, not the inability to follow Bennett's gameplan. When Wayne's happy we've won, if his gameplan was so outdated & old, because we lost while following it yesterday, wouldn't he be happy that we followed the gameplan atleast? No, because we couldn't execute the gameplan in the first place with all the errors.

The solution is to find the cause of why the hands became so slippery yesterday. Maybe it was the momentum loss when Gids took the penalty goal.

I can slowly see the storm and there set plays are being pick apart by teams now, i mean they lost to penrith and it was coming trust me they look very off this year (but as always were leading the comp, they just manage to win as they have a winning culture)..

Picking apart Melbourne? Please, every team has form slumps & now the Storm are legal they do too. Last year in their slump we all thought they were gone because we'd never seen it before but they'll be back, destroying teams with their set plays.

Last edited:
The thought of not having gidley in the side is a joke. I would rather hi at fullback then Boyd at the moment.

I have feeling we will see sims start in place of McKinnon this week.

We followed the supercoach's game plan against the dragons and the sharks and lost games we should have won.

I'll give you the Dragons one, we did but Jamie Soward's kicking game was just too good for us on the day. The Sharks game we did not, we looked unenthusiastic & lethargic, we played much better against the Dragons. To me the Sharks game was a case of not getting up for the day.

OK. So the magic game plan is "win", and if we don't win we're not following it?

Yesterday we were garbage.
Against the Sharks we completed 85% and four or five forwards ran for 100m.
We played well, but too safe. And that's on the coach.

Look everyone's saying that because of yesterday's game, Bennett's gameplan is outdated & old, therefore saying we followed that gameplan yesterday & lost. Well i can tell you we did for the first 20 minutes & were up 14-0 looking good.

Then all the errors came, which were not apart of the gameplan obviously & we couldn't keep the ball in hand from there on in so we never had the chance to get back in the game.

If you think error football is Bennett's gameplan then so be it.

But are we capable of playing that mistake free football, that's my question Josh. I don't think we have it in us to grind out wins. Not for more than two weeks in a row, anyway.

That gameplan worked at the Dragons, but we just don't have the mental fortitude as a club and make a meal of it probably half the time.

I agree we didn't play to the gameplan against Cronulla though, we gave away some shocking penalties which opened the door for Cronulla when it should have been slammed shut.

But are we capable of playing that mistake free football, that's my question Josh. I don't think we have it in us to grind out wins. Not for more than two weeks in a row, anyway.

That gameplan worked at the Dragons, but we just don't have the mental fortitude as a club and make a meal of it probably half the time.

I agree we didn't play to the gameplan against Cronulla though, we gave away some shocking penalties which opened the door for Cronulla when it should have been slammed shut.

I'm not sure about it either, last week i posted how i would be surprised if we ever became a consistent team. All i know is we are capable of playing to Bennett's gameplan, alot of people are making it out as if we can't & never will, which is wrong because we have.

We look like we're playing to the "game plan" when the other team self explodes.

Tigers - 67% completions
Cowboys - 67% completions
Canberra - 68% completions
Gold Coast - 69% completions

but if they manage to hold onto the ball we get beaten. Manly, Dragons, Raiders, Sharks all completed 80%+. Panthers completed 78% and we almost lost to that bunch of scrubs.

So if the other team plays well and we do as well, we lose in a tight game because we're too boring (Sharks/Dragons).
And if the other team plays well and we don't show up we get smashed (Manly/Raiders) or almost lose to scrubs (Penrith).

I don't think relying on the opposition to suck is such a great game plan.

Weren't we number 1 for completion rate up until the panthers game? Don't think the ability to play error free is a problem, more that with every injury, we lose more confidence. We now have our 2 big buys of the offseason out, our actual captain in buderus (because let's be honest, Gidley can't actually lead a side) and our only playmaker and direction in Mullen.

You can also say we aren't buying into Bennetts play style still, but Mullens game has improved immensely under Bennett, his kicking game is consistent now, his defense is still as strong as ever, if not improved, and he's making the right calls with his passing. You can put it down to having Roberts as the half now, but let's be honest, Roberts makes 1 or 2 good plays a game, and isn't seen for the rest, his kicking game is sub-par, and his decision making can be very off.

and how the hell is Uate getting all the blame for this loss? He wasn't the guy who let in 7 tries on the left side of the field. The couple of kicks, the first 1 he could of let go and tackled Lee, the other 2 were on the try line and he had to make plays for them, trying to outjump 2 of the biggest guys in the league in Lee and Wighton.

I'm fairly certain I'm only one out of a few of us that still want Gidley at our club. I haven't (in my time) seen a player that been so passionate towards a club more than Gidley, win, lose or draw. His recent form over the past few weeks has been better than some have pointed out and other times he seems lost just as much as the whole 17 are in some games.

He doesn't need to leave for Super League or retire.

There is nothing wrong with the coach's plan, master or otherwise. Control the football control the game. We showed that for the first twenty minutes and then fell apart. Poor Kurt has his critics. Personally think he is just being forced to play out of position which reflects in his game day form and confidence. And the next five sure ain't gonna get any easier. Come 30 June will we be still in the top ten, let alone the top eight or four?

I have no problem with Gidleys playing ability, I think he should be in the team, I just don't think he should be captain.

Shouldn't be too difficult following Bennett's plan it never changes no matter who the opposition is. What is emo ?

I totally disagree with everyone, you're all so emo. It's bull**** we don't fit Wayne's playing style, it was the errors that prevented us from playing well.

What was happening when we were playing error free? We were up 14-0. I remember arguing this last year when we were playing some crappy error football & everyone lost their **** saying how we didn't suit Bennett, then the errors cleared right up & we were playing well. We start playing some good footy when we are error free.

I'm not saying we're the perfect team when we are, because I know we're not, we still have the problem of not getting up for games, but the errors killed us yesterday, not the inability to follow Bennett's gameplan. When Wayne's happy we've won, if his gameplan was so outdated & old, because we lost while following it yesterday, wouldn't he be happy that we followed the gameplan atleast? No, because we couldn't execute the gameplan in the first place with all the errors.

The solution is to find the cause of why the hands became so slippery yesterday. Maybe it was the momentum loss when Gids took the penalty goal.

Picking apart Melbourne? Please, every team has form slumps & now the Storm are legal they do too. Last year in their slump we all thought they were gone because we'd never seen it before but they'll be back, destroying teams with their set plays.
Our completions before we 'break down' are really impressive. In attack we have a quality percentage, when we were 14-0 up it was something like 11/11. I guess it's just maintaining composure, not one person, not even Bennett could put their finger on it.

Ok I just looked it up "emo" is short for emotional. Josh said "you're all so emo". The Club I have followed since it's entry into the competition just meekly surrendered 44 unanswered points to a team no one rates as semi final contenders. I make no apologies. If that don't stir the emotions nothing will.

We look like we're playing to the "game plan" when the other team self explodes.

Tigers - 67% completions
Cowboys - 67% completions
Canberra - 68% completions
Gold Coast - 69% completions

but if they manage to hold onto the ball we get beaten. Manly, Dragons, Raiders, Sharks all completed 80%+. Panthers completed 78% and we almost lost to that bunch of scrubs.

So if the other team plays well and we do as well, we lose in a tight game because we're too boring (Sharks/Dragons).
And if the other team plays well and we don't show up we get smashed (Manly/Raiders) or almost lose to scrubs (Penrith).

I don't think relying on the opposition to suck is such a great game plan.

Exactly, everyone here saying we are playing better... why because we are 5th? no our wins have come against opposition teams that played ****! And the titans win, we would of never won that game if they didn't cop a broken finger, broken jaw, knee injury in the first 10 minutes. We have no been playing well besides maybe the first win against the raiders when we were down. other that that we have not really been exciting we are boring plain and simple, we are not the dragons like james said this safety first football with lack off offloads and no real attack in my opinion can not be a consistent thing at this club...

Do souths or manly or the roosters play conservative no offload footy? or even melbourne?? no they attack when they have to!! We have the potential to put 60+ on teams but with the style wayne brings its not going to happen...

Last edited:
One thing i do wish we did more of is offloading. However it has to be from the right people, Mason has given some real shockers for the last few weeks, going into the opposition or plain knocking on.

After looking up what "emo" meant the other word that I have seen that I have know idea what it means is "meh". I see as a verb it can mean boring or as an adjective to describe Wayne's game plan.

Back