Round 23: Newcastle Knights vs Wests Tigers

What is your prediction for this game ??

• Knights 13+

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Knights 1-12

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers 1-12

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just remember stuff like DCE backing out of his titans contract and manly saying they would take care of Des hasler after he won them the premiership in 2011, only for him to resign shortly after. Contracts arent worth the paper they're printed on and Ponga deserves his chance to play finals football if this joke of a club isnt prepared to make any effort.

DCE backflipping on the Titans was a classless move but it happened, I agree.

Des had disputes with Manly over pay who seemed too cheap to pay him sooner despite the fact he got them into the Finals every year and were heading towards another GF. I think he wanted his future to be sorted out but Manly were happy to wait.

But as I mentioned our system of signing players over a year or more ahead is garbage and needs to be changed but the NRL dont seem to have any interest in that *shrug*

That would be preferable, I'm all for Ponga doing an O Davis and scoring two tries in a grand final winning performance but my point is, he has too much potential and talent to **** his career away at a club that doesnt care, he's too young to carry the weight of a team, even when Joey started he had so many amazing, experienced players around him it gave him so much time to develop his game and build confidence so that, later in his career when he did carry the weight of the club on his shoulders he was more than ready for it.

I have not seen a player more valuable to a team then Joey was I believe. He just made players and team mates better. You put him on a bottom four team they are a top four team. Nothing could bring him down, not even 2005. He didn't have a glaring weakness in his game in comparison to other players.

And I don't think any player in the modern era is comparable to him in that regard.

Even mentally, the pressure of losing got to Alfie in 1999 and it was so bad that he was forced to retire.

You heard it here first! Kaylin is getting way too big for his boots! Reading too much of his own press and always blaming others! Good luck to Adam when he gets here, but for me Kalyn can go get effed, unless he hardens up and forgets all the hype, he will be the next Ewan Mc Grady! Too much bullschit not enough substance, as for Mitch, he ain't liking it either!! Hopefully O'Brien can reign this punk in!!! If not he can go, his influence cannot be ignored in this situation! Bring on the haters! Watch this space......BTW Pearce can't stand Pong!

I have not seen a player more valuable to a team then Joey was I believe. He just made players and team mates better. You put him on a bottom four team they are a top four team. Nothing could bring him down, not even 2005. He didn't have a glaring weakness in his game in comparison to other players.

And I don't think any player in the modern era is comparable to him in that regard.

Even mentally, the pressure of losing got to Alfie in 1999 and it was so bad that he was forced to retire.

I'm just worried about Ponga having so much pressure and responsibility dumped onto him at a young age. I feel the same thing happened to Kurt Gidley, Kurt was oozing with potential and talent but I feel when Joey retired in 07 the club just dumped everything on him, even though he was a few seasons short of experience of taking on such a burden and I think it defined his career. On his best day he could almost single handedly win a game but he also has a long list of brain explosions and seemingly stupid plays that cost his team matches and I would argue it was the result of all the pressure and expectation that was dumped on him the moment Joey retired. I feel the same could happen to Ponga if he chooses to stay.

Think you have given a inner look at what MIGHT be a problem, never do see them together, something ain’t right in the camp, semi chance and play like that, has the coach allowed the big boys to run things. Is Klemmer so dominant that the others sit back and let him do it. Think DanS would be a better player if Klem wasn’t playing, are the others in awe of the stars and are they, the stars over dictating play.
Is it a case of dragging a lot of players from different areas/teams and not gelling as a unit, on paper we look good on results we look ordinary

That would be preferable, I'm all for Ponga doing an O Davis and scoring two tries in a grand final winning performance but my point is, he has too much potential and talent to **** his career away at a club that doesnt care, he's too young to carry the weight of a team, even when Joey started he had so many amazing, experienced players around him it gave him so much time to develop his game and build confidence so that, later in his career when he did carry the weight of the club on his shoulders he was more than ready for it.
He is the weight! Sorry, not sorry.....

I'm just worried about Ponga having so much pressure and responsibility dumped onto him at a young age. I feel the same thing happened to Kurt Gidley, Kurt was oozing with potential and talent but I feel when Joey retired in 07 the club just dumped everything on him, even though he was a few seasons short of experience of taking on such a burden and I think it defined his career. On his best day he could almost single handedly win a game but he also has a long list of brain explosions and seemingly stupid plays that cost his team matches and I would argue it was the result of all the pressure and expectation that was dumped on him the moment Joey retired. I feel the same could happen to Ponga if he chooses to stay.
Sad to say but it was Kurt's lack of ability not his desire! You can't coach effort and Kurt had it in spades! Kalyn needs someone who can pull his head out of his own arse! Sorry, never thought I would say this but it is true!!

We can only hope O'Brien has a more fair approach to relationships than Brown! Not to blame Brown but the we are a train wreck looking for a driver! We already have the passengers! Get on board!

Nothing to do with footy but I'm watching a series on Netflix called Mindhunter. The serial killer in this episode murdered at least 9 people in the early 70's(USA) was William Pierce who preferred to be called Junior.

Sad to say but it was Kurt's lack of ability not his desire! You can't coach effort and Kurt had it in spades! Kalyn needs someone who can pull his head out of his own arse! Sorry, never thought I would say this but it is true!!

That's my point though, if you rewatch the best games of Kurt's career you'll see he has all the talent and potential in the world, but when youre expected to do too much every game it leads to implosive, self destructive decisions. I feel if Joey hadn't had such a horrible run with injuries in the 2nd half of his career, he could've spent another couple of seasons mentoring both Gidley and Mullen and the club as a whole would've had a much brighter future than what we're currently stuck with.

That's my point though, if you rewatch the best games of Kurt's career you'll see he has all the talent and potential in the world, but when youre expected to do too much every game it leads to implosive, self destructive decisions. I feel if Joey hadn't had such a horrible run with injuries in the 2nd half of his career, he could've spent another couple of seasons mentoring both Gidley and Mullen and the club as a whole would've had a much brighter future than what we're currently stuck with.

Your kidding yourself with that. Thats not why we are stuck with this ****. I don't know what is going on with the club but as Joey said, something isn't right.

It must p!ss the old boys off no end that this is what is dished up year in year out. They put their necks out there to attract these players like Ponga and Klem and the club makes them look like fools.

I'm honestly at a loss how they can turn in a performance like that with the season on the line. Thank god Pearce went nuts mid season or we would be collecting another spoon!

That was pathetic. I don't care who our coach is. Plenty of people rubbish Brown, but it wouldn't matter who is in charge when our team serves up that garbage. They had every motivation to play for: a potential semi final berth and a positive send off for Brown, yet they serve up that. Bring on O'Brien and a full cleanout.

Your kidding yourself with that. Thats not why we are stuck with this ****.

No it isn't, I didnt actually say it was, it was one of many things I said in an ongoing conversation where I made the points that:

1. Its very bad to lump too much pressure on one or two players in a side, especially when they are too young and dont have the experience or maturity to handle it as it can be detrimental to their long term careers.

2. Had Joey had more luck with injuries in the later stages of his career he would have been able to mentor the upcoming talent much more effectively and left the club in a better position & in turn those players would've been in a better position to mentor younger players in the later stages of their career, the whole passing the torch over multiple generations sort of thing.

I wasnt suggesting that today's cancer of a performance was purely becuase of either of these things was more about discussing the history and 'what ifs' of the club as a whole, as 'what if' scenarios are far more enjoyable to discuss than reality right now lol

I’ve never seen a more half arsed effort than what they dished out tonight.

I’m not just talking the Knights I’m taking any professional sporting team. That was beyond pathetic and it’s the final straw for me as a season ticket holder. Will continue to follow the club but will not spend another cent of my hard earned on them.

I can cop them losing but I won’t cop them not trying.

Fair enough mate. I ditched mine after 2016 when it was obvious the coach treated the season like some sort of trial and wasn't trying to win games.
Sports is meant to be entertaining, not a chore that leaves you tired and angry.

Sports is meant to be entertaining, not a chore that leaves you tired and angry.
Yeah to think how much we were looking forward to this season at the start of the year and while there have been some promising signs at times to go out like that with the finals in reach it just sours the entire thing.

Not looking forward to more disappointment next season either.

Back