Round 23: Newcastle Knights vs Wests Tigers

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Aug 18, 2019.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Aug 24, 2019.
  1. Knights 13+

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Knights 1-12

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tigers 1-12

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Tigers 13+

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

just the 2

2. listo

listo Grant Stuart

Cheers mate

3. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I commend you mate! You’ve got a journey and a half on your hands. I hope the team can at least show up and put on a good performance for you and the family and well as us other long time suffering fans.

4. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Don't under estimate the Tits. They put in a good effort against the Storm.

5. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    We will get best in a **** sand which. You watch all the weak ****s try now, that will annoy me even more seeing them put in.

6. Ethan

Ethan Matthew Johns

Say what you like mate but im just sick and tired of the whinging little cry babies who expected too much too soon and now we will have another rebuild in players and management and it will be another couple of years before it all comes together if we don't get rid of this coach before it happens .

7. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Ben Kennedy

Nah. Dont agree the club is under another rebuild. O'Brien will be brought here knowing the squad he has and knowing what is expected of him.

I'd be very disappointed if Wests have got him here with a promise he gets a few years free pass before results are expected.

And I doubt O'Brien is looking at our roster and thinking a rebuild is necessary. We have the team to finish close to top 4 if they play to potential. That's not a rebuild situation.

EASBay17, Lefty and Simon Templar like this.
  8. danknights

danknights Matthew Gidley

I only expected them to creep into the 8. To be where they are now and the efforts they have dished up the last 6 weeks have been that of a spoon quality side. They have to cattle to be up there but none seem interested.

9. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We’re not rebuilding again. We have rebuilt. This roster doesn’t need to be built up again, it’s a roster that should be challenging the top teams. O’Brien will be coming here knowing full well that this team should be finals contenders.

10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

4 years isn't long enough? Mate you may be happy to wait it out longer for us to make the finals but there comes a point when it's taking too long. With our big losing streaks this year, do you really think that's because they just need more time? We were terrible, wooden spoon quality. They don't play that bad because they more time to gel.

And on the second point, do you really think Wests would sack Brown if they were expecting the new coach to rebuild again for a few years? He is clearly being brought for instant success & finals.

Lefty likes this.
  11. danknights

danknights Matthew Gidley

Look at the dogs form. Dean pay realised his structures put in place weren't working so he changed a few things up and now look at how gritty they have become. I seen not 1 spec of that from brown. All I seen was players moving possies each week for the same loss results. The weeks we win we were mostly settled or the guys really stepped it up intensity wise.

12. Ethan

Ethan Matthew Johns

Ese,ese, Levi, Buhrer, Ramien , Griffin, Hunt, Woolford maybe Skd , Moga, Guerra and Gavet 1/3 of our top 30 and that's before he picks players He doesn't think are good enough … Not trying to pick on them but imo we could buy better back rowers than Barnett and Sione and I don't believe for 1 second that Obrien will have to stick with the players already here if he doesn't want too . No coach would agree to that .

13. Ethan

Ethan Matthew Johns

Hahaha instant success and finals yeah right last time I heard that was the Tinkler Bennett era and they left us the biggest basket case in the history of the game and we haven't got over it yet , careful what you wish for ...
    I have been saying all along not to expect too much this season as it takes a long time for a new team to gel . Wasn't it 7 debutants this season , Next season may be more than that .

14. AlbertWillScore97

AlbertWillScore97 Graham Settree

They've been in the 'rebuilding phase' for ages, The titans and maybe the warriors are the only other sides that are so consistently terrible as the knights over several seasons. Every other club is able to make the finals every other year or so. The whining (from myself included) can be a little melodramatic at times, mostly during and just after games but it comes from frustration and a loss of confidence and patience in what the club claims they are trying to achieve. It's a catch 22 situation, the longer the club is ok with mediocrity, the harder it will be to lure and keep talent within the club which creates a cycle. The results over the last decade or so speak for themselves, even the last 3 times the knights have made the finals theyve needed to win their last match of the regular season just to scrap into the 8.

Lefty likes this.
  15. Ethan

Ethan Matthew Johns

See that's the thing I don't believe the club is ok with mediocrity and im pretty sure the coaches Smith Bennett and Brown weren't ok with mediocrity.
    The problem I think is that ours is a club that has had to struggle to stay alive and that struggle has filtered down through the whole club over the years.
    Now we have owners that know how to make money we brought in a coach that rebuilt the club and team and now they have a new up and coming coach to take over and take us to the next level .
    That's not a club that is ok with mediocrity its a club trying hard to move forward to success .

Owey and member 2299 like this.
  16. Owey

Owey Richard Clarke

Ethan, well said. We haven't had financial stability for years (ever). We are really still getting used to the fact that we do. What Nathan Brown has done to set this club up is enormous. He did it knowing that it would have a detrimental affect on his reputation but he did it knowing it was the best way to set the club up for future success. We are now a well run club off the field for probably the first time. Our junior pathways look better than they have in years. The last step is to get a coach in to set the standards at the very top that set us up for sustained success. I'm not sure Brown was that coach. I'm not sure Adam O'Brien is that coach, but his credentials, the systems he has been in, the way people like Cronk and Glasby talk about him, it looks like he is. We have a lot of things in place to be competing at the standard of a Melbourne or Roosters in the coming years. Sometimes you have to accept that your club cant compete with the big clubs financially, that you may have to hope for the odd succesful year. Not at the Knights anymore. Accepting mediocrity is over.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lefty likes this.
  17. Ethan

Ethan Matthew Johns

Personally I would have given Brown another year but only if it wasn't a volatile situation with him and the team .
    Its all history now though so hopefully O'brien can build on what Brown built. Maybe we can call it doing a Bennett come in and win the comp and largly because of what Brown built lol.
    Everyone seems to think that O'Brien has all the skills as a coach, so hopefully he can get this team playing good consistant football.
    It worries me a bit that we could lose up too 10 of our top 30 players but it excites me to see who else we get or what young guys step up.
    The other thing that worries me is the criticism of Ponga and the Media bubble he lives in im just hoping it doesn't scare him away .
    We all knew when Wests bought the Knights that they are cut throat business men that will do anything to succeed so we shouldn't be suprised at anything they do .

18. Owey

Owey Richard Clarke

I'd only just started to doubt Brown in the last month or so. Part of me wanted him to get a chance with Brailey coming to work with a spine he'd put together. And I must say I completely support him in the Ramien case even though Ramien was one of my faves. My doubts are around a couple of things. Teams with high standards don't have losing streaks like we have had a couple of times this year. Our second half performances have been abominable in the last couple of months. And his selections seem to smack of favouritism over performance of late. I've mentioned elsewhere Ponga giving it to Mann for a missed tackle in the first Wests match. That was where I first noticed cracks in the playing group. I think the time is so ripe now for a coach to take this club to a new level. I fully appreciate what Brown has done. I was disgusted with the playing group kicking him in the guts with that performance last week. But I'm sure we have arrived at the right result.

19. Owey

Owey Richard Clarke

Actually, Andrew Webster on the Big Sports Breakfast this morning gave the first balanced assessment from a Sydney journo about the happenings of the last week. He said Gardner could have handled things better, he said the Ponga thick shake comment was a side show and he said the club has probably landed on the right result.

slotmachine and mozza like this.
  20. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Tony Herman

Project Manager
    Owey, I agree with most of what you have covered, although Brownies weird selections and his unorthodox use of the bench got my attention much earlier than "the last month or so".

There is always a reason for losing streaks no matter what team or sport you follow, the trick as a coach is to be astute enough to identify what the cause is and either eliminate it or isolate it, then Re consolidate the group and refocus.

It will be interesting to see what Wolfie does differently this week and whether it actually has a positive effect on the team's efforts.