ROUND 16: Knights v Broncos @ Suncorp Stadium

I don't disagree he needs work, like a lot of the young guys, but where better to learn than first grade? The season is gone in terms of making the finals. Lets get the young guys out there and give them the opportunities to improve.

I don't think what went on tonight would help him much at all, though. He's gotta have a chance to feel good about his game as well.
 
I think our inexperience was what got us in the end.

Some positives from tonight's game :

Vai Vai was impressive and really worked hard in the middle, stood up when our forwards went down.

Tapine was superb, ran strongly and found Gagai on the right edge a number of times. Solid in defence also.

Gagai was great as always, tried hard all game to make something happen.

Mamo was solid, a few early errors and a shaky first half, but he made up for it in the second I thought. Worked hard all game.

Positive signs for our future, and I personally think Carlos looks better every first grade game he plays.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
 
Half decent effort tonight, could've easily been a 71-6 repeat of 2007 if they hadnt shown any fight, however, instead of running defensive drills at training it seems as though the lads spend the time googling places to go for mad monday instead.
 
Stone needs to make some tough decisions when our injured players come back. Pretty much all of Roberts, Houston, Fa'alogo, Clydsdale & even Smith have been outplayed by their replacements. Even Newton was decent & deserves a spot over someone like Houston.
 
No it's not stupid. Defence can be taught, I'm even sure they have defensive coaches. There is various factors that contribute to that and confidence is one of them. You think playing on a side of the field he isn't comfortable with helps his confidence? And like you said, going with your man or not, he is exactly in between because he is hesitating.maybe a lack of confidence
yes defense can be taught, you said yourself he seems like he has a lack of confidence and is hesitating, that's not stone's fault at all, it's completely down to Sione to mature.
 
We had to run out of steam with two of our best forwards injured and so many young guys asked to play long minutes.
I think we would have put up a good fight if Scott and Rochow had stayed out there.

Scott is our new MacDougall. The slightest injury in a club game and he is out of there, but he'll play with a leg amputated in a big game.

Couldn't agree more, his mind is on origin and moving on healthy to eels,
 
While disappointed with the result thought the boys showed a bit of heart tonight and have reason to be positive looking into the next few years the edge with tapine,gagai uate looks really good was really impressed with levi aswell although he did make a few silly mistakes we really seemed to go up a gear when he was on. korbin and vaivai were both really good. Sione should be dropped until he sorts his defence out.
 
yes defense can be taught, you said yourself he seems like he has a lack of confidence and is hesitating, that's not stone's fault at all, it's completely down to Sione to mature.

Absolutely. I also believe a coach can have an impact in that however.
 
Considering we were missing a few of our senior players and then lost Rochow & Scott early we did pretty well to put on as many points as we did. Tapine had easily his best game so far. It was one of Korbin's better games too, playing big minutes. Mataora & Vaivai were very good. Levi & Mamo both made a few simple errors but can't fault them for enthusiasm. When Levi gets put on the team instantly looks more upbeat and positive, can't wait to see him mature over the next few years. Gagai was his usual brilliant self in attack. Tuimavave just keeps getting better and better as well.

All in all we played good for a young, inexperienced side versing the team coming 1st.
 
Two problems at this club. Obviously the side is unfit and sadly we have a soft coach who doesn't want to push his players too hard but there's clearly an attitude problem among the players. How a side can play so well in patches and so poorly in others, I just don't understand.
 
I don't think it's a coincidence that Tapine's best game in first-grade coincided with him getting good minutes in his preferred position. All he needs is a chance, none of this 30 minutes at lock bullsh*t. Even Vaivai looked better with some gametime.
 
Last edited:
I don't think it's a coincidence that Tapine's best game in first-grade coincided with him getting good minutes in his preferred position. All he needs is a chance, none of this 30 minutes at lock bullsh*t. Even Vaivai looked better with some gametime.
Tapine went off the boil last year pretty much as soon as he was charged with assault, and he came good as soon as the weight was off his shoulders.
 
First game I have ever turned off before half time. I'm going to bed, sleep is a better option than this

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk
 
Well I actually enjoyed the game. I don't think the final score truly represented our effort. Yes we were outplayed by a better opposition but we had better energy and commitment mostly. Tapine was a standout as was Vai Vai and Gagai. I didn't think we missed Slowden Falongo, or Houston at all. Few mistakes from Mamo and Levi but it's early days and they add so much enthusiasm.

Sione, however, is going backwards at a rapid rate, and McManus is passed it I think.

And my hubby uttered something I never thought I would hear "thank god for clint Newton".....what the? .
 
McManus and sione are not playing well... James needs to be replaced... Sione I have no idea... Tapine was awesome... Gagai will be a massive loss when he goes back to qld...
 
Back
Top