Put your coach's hat on

Beaumont

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Wayne Bennett has copped criticism for his efforts some deserved a lot undeserved. Quite a bit of the criticism is directed at our attack which seemingly struggles to score points despite having attacking weapons throughout the back line. What would you do with regards to team selection and tactics if it were you on the big bucks ?

They obviously have a strict gameplan, which isn't a bad thing. But in times you need to go away from the gameplan & it looks as if they just stick to it no matter what the situation, i'm sure Wayne tells them to always stick to the gameplan. The only time they ever go away from it is when they need to score a try such as in the last minute of a game.

However, that isn't a criticism for last night as we were winning the game on the gameplan until the last few minutes.

Another thing is they need to back themselves more with offloads, they're probably too scared that they'll drop it all the time. Stop backing away from the player who is running at them with the ball & have players run to the line with the dummy-half.

Last night when we were running straight and hard we were chewing up metres up the middle. The problem is when we start to go sideways we get jammed up into a corner.

We have the forwards to make the metres and they went toe to toe with the bulldogs pack last night.

Something is missing with our backline this year, they look like they are second guessing each other.

Last year I remember on few occasions when we were trailing Mullen did the chip for Boyd and it worked. Last night they didnt even attemp it with a few minutes to go.

We need more straight running which will straighten up our attack and more second phase play from offloads.

We need to put doubt in the defence's mind. Either by our halves taking the line on more or by not attempting the same play ad nauseum.We're easily contained due to the predictability. At the moment the only time our wingers see the ball is to ruck it out of our 20m or they get the ball jammed up against the sideline.Can somebody not straighten the attack ? I know there's a lot of pressure on the field but we're a dumb team mostly unable to come up with the right option when we've got the ball. Everything seems premeditated and even if it means running out of field they're not going to deviate from the plan.

These two weeks off will help.

We need a rest. Wish guys didn't play rep stuff either.

Based on our form doesn't look like many of our players will have to play reps. Which is disappointing from an individual players perspective but very positive from a club perspective. Rep duties cost us the minor premiership in 2002 and there have been several other years where rep duties have brought injury to our best players, the time for struggling clubs to strike and progress up the ladder is during and just after origin when some of the higher placed sides struggle.

Wayne needs to let the players do their own thing like he said with Tyrone I think. We're going nowhere with this gameplan we have. Don't get me wrong our defence has been great and I'm proud of that, but the defence isn't making up for our attack because we aren't scoring the points we want and need in our case this year.

Why aren't we doing the chip and chase between Mullen and Boyd or even for our centres and wingers? Worked against the Bulldogs and Sharks last year and we beat them both early and late in the season. Why aren't we doing the outside-inside play between Tyrone, Robbie and Darius? Scored off it 2 or 3 times if I can remember correctly. Why don't we pop the ball out for an offload or throw the ball around instead of Bennett's boring unoriginal gameplan? There's so many questions we can ask but we probably won't get any answers. What we were doing last night was rattling the Bulldogs and we were easily the better team last night except not on the scoreboard.

I think we should ask some of these questions on Bennett's next Knights Insider...

I think Wayne needs to toughen up and start dropping top players. Drop Houston and Roberts and I would hope he would drop Boyd but there is no way in the world that's happening.

I was listening to Tallis today talk about Origin. He said he always made the game "personal". He had no problem smashing De Vere who was his best man. Reminded me when the U/20 side I coached played Lakes United. Lakes on paper were a far superior side but in the lead up to the game I did everything even tell lies to turn it into an "us V them" thing. It was a very tough game but we got over the top of them. The game was won between the ears before a ball was kicked. I watch the Knights warm up and the players are smiling, having a giggle and more often than not start the game with a distinct lack of "mongrel". Take a leaf out of Tallis and Queensland's book and turn each game into a dog fight. Take the field prepared to fight for every bone and for 80 minutes treat every opposition player like he stole something from you. Fire up.

Give Roberts a spell in nsw cup, find a way out of red zone without allowing gagai, he gets absolutely belted leaving nothing for attack in good ball zone, find a set play to get Joey 1 on 1 with his opponent, have Gidley and boys follow ruck for offloads especially off cuthbertson and Scott.

Give Roberts a spell in nsw cup, find a way out of red zone without allowing gagai, he gets absolutely belted leaving nothing for attack in good ball zone, find a set play to get Joey 1 on 1 with his opponent, have Gidley and boys follow ruck for offloads especially off cuthbertson and Scott.
Every time a forward takes a hit up Boyd needs to b off their hip instead of standing behind the play with his hands in the air.

As we know Beaumont the game ain't played on paper.

Saturday night's game plan was fine. Only bad scene was Clydesdale's overhead pass to Beau Scott which was dropped and the Dogs were sure to run T Rex and Kasiano at our little guys. Our centres have not been playing up the last year's standard but it will come. Maybe they were more used to Mullo's style of play. Also the winning try for the Dogs was a knock forward on to Mamo in my book but alas I was not pressing the red/green buttons.

A much improved game in both attack and defense. The Dogs are not the easiest team to score against or keep out. They will have a great year damn it!

member 2299 - no one can disagree with the game's not played on paper but it is to a large degree played between the ears and that's where I question our team's ability to win regularly. Take Paul Harragon for example. I never once thought to myself Chief's not out there to win at all costs. What about James Graham from the Bulldogs ? He just seems hell bent on doing as much damage as he can every time he gets the ball. Sam Burgess is another. I'm not suggesting our players aren't having a dig (they had a red hot go on Sat night) but I just wonder how many of them need to adopt the "winning isn't everything it's the only thing" attitude.

member 2299 - no one can disagree with the game's not played on paper but it is to a large degree played between the ears and that's where I question our team's ability to win regularly. Take Paul Harragon for example. I never once thought to myself Chief's not out there to win at all costs. What about James Graham from the Bulldogs ? He just seems hell bent on doing as much damage as he can every time he gets the ball. Sam Burgess is another. I'm not suggesting our players aren't having a dig (they had a red hot go on Sat night) but I just wonder how many of them need to adopt the "winning isn't everything it's the only thing" attitude.

Felt that person on our side was Snowden. Looked like he had his nose in front everytime he carried the ball and was carrying defenders a few extra metres with most runs.

Our attack is so flat, that's is my only real concern.

Boyd is getting under my skin.

Every time we have an option to swing it out the back, Mullen hits the short runner, which 99 times out of hundred is the wrong runner.

Our attack is so flat, that's is my only real concern.

Boyd is getting under my skin.

Every time we have an option to swing it out the back, Mullen hits the short runner, which 99 times out of hundred is the wrong runner.
I think giving it to the front man a few times is our way of pulling the outside man in, after a few times of hitting the lead runner it should open up the out the back play

I think giving it to the front man a few times is our way of pulling the outside man in, after a few times of hitting the lead runner it should open up the out the back play

That's the idea, but after the 5th or 6th time, it's probably about time.

I wouldn't mind at 25 minutes into a game when Clydesdale comes on, take Tyrone off, Boyd to halfback, Gidley to fullback. We need points.

Back