Idris leaves Bulldogs for Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likiliki was signed cheap for 2 years but is an amazing prospect and should be given a chance, he has alot of raw potential and can only get better, being named in the 2009 & 2010 Toyota Cup Team of the Year, played 1 NRL game for the Warriors, played in the winning 2010 Warriors Toyota Cup Premiership team, represented Tonga in 2009 Pacific Cup and also played for the 2010 Junior Kiwis. He has played against some big names and does have some defensive issues but with ball in hand hes a wrecking ball.

Similar to Idris but cheaper, ok I'm sold lets buy him...............oh no wait we already have, well lets give the kid a chance before we waste money on Idris.

I remmeber another young raw talented kid who plays for us and they are now talking Origin for him, maybe if we show a little faith like we did with that one Liliki may also become similarly talented.
 
you guys realise we could be losing 2 centres this year, leaving the door open for both Idris and LikiLiki? :lol:

Maddog is almost certain to hang them up, and havent heard much on the Sau front.
 
you guys realise we could be losing 2 centres this year, leaving the door open for both Idris and LikiLiki? :lol:

Maddog is almost certain to hang them up, and havent heard much on the Sau front.

Move McManus to the centres and sign a winger, or use a toyota cup kid, but 350K or whatever they are offering for Idris is ridiculous. Then potentially loose DeGois aswell, no point in having a centre if your ruck cannot get the ball out there.
 
I think we're reading too much into the 'local talent' comment from Tinkler.

The players he referred to are arguably the top tier local Newie players going around like Bird, Ennis and Snowden.

This won't prevent Tinkler going for other big name stars.

In regards to De Gois, I always had the impression he was going to end up back at the Sharks because of the manner he left them. In saying that, it might just be the usual player manager talking him up. In any case, I would rather Ennis then a rookie dummy half.
 
Similar to Idris but cheaper, ok I'm sold lets buy him...............oh no wait we already have, well lets give the kid a chance before we waste money on Idris.

I remmeber another young raw talented kid who plays for us and they are now talking Origin for him, maybe if we show a little faith like we did with that one Liliki may also become similarly talented.

Comparing Likiliki to Idris is laughable. Yeah, in a way, they may be similar style players as they're both big physical centres, but I wouldn't necessarily say Likiliki was that much more impressive then Idris. I think that speaks volumes about who the better player is when you take into account Idris was playing FG and Likiliki was playing NYC. Big difference in competition right there, obviously.

For the record I'm a big Likiliki fan too. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him. Was a great signing IMO.
 
He hasn't touched FG yet in a real match. Relax.

Yeah I realise that. When we signed him I got curious to see him play, I watched 2 20s games, have seen him play one FG game for the Warriors and watched that trial against the Warriors.
 
I saw a bunch of Warriors 20's games and definately saw the potential in Likiliki. I have no idea how high some peoples expectations are of him, so some people may be let down, but my expectations are reasonable and I expect him to develop into a capable FG player in due time. I'm hopeful for that anyway, and I can definately see that on the cards for him. I'm also hopeful that he can develop into a strike center and be one of the more highly rated centers in the game, but I understand that's very much up in the air atm and it's unreasonable to expect that given his inexperience, but I am hopeful that this will indeed be the case in a few years time, key word being hopeful.

I just think people need to have reasonable expectations. Yes he's a young talented player with potential, but it's not a given that he's going to make it and take that next step, even though all signs point to yes and most would assume that's a given, but there's been plenty of young players who had a great deal of talent and potential and came through the grades only to fall short of FG or to make it and be an after thought.
 
Yeah I realise that. When we signed him I got curious to see him play, I watched 2 20s games, have seen him play one FG game for the Warriors and watched that trial against the Warriors.


I watched him play in last year's Toyota Cup grand final. I have to say he has all the skills and a killer flick pass. He makes it look very easy. He can be lazy in defence though. In that particular game, he could have easily been the man of the match. Give him time, Toyota Cup and FG is a big step up.
 
Well its a shame he didn't get signed with canberra. Then one day, against the Cowboys it could have been: "Likiliki with tongue on Johnson" in a two man tackle.
 
Newcastle want Idris as the new Joey

By Nathan Ryan
1 March 2011 05:26PM EST

NEWCASTLE are planning for Jamal Idris to become the new face of the Knights - with officials hopeful an Aboriginal ambassador role will secure his services.

Sportsnewsfirst.com.au understands the Knights have enlisted the help of a former Newcastle indigenous player to broker an aboriginal representative role for the 20-year-old, similar to the deal South Sydney negotiated for Test centre Greg Inglis.

This funding proposal has been in the works since Friday, with the former Dally M rookie-of-the-year set to earn over $1 million should he leave the kennel.

The role would make a perfect fit the son of an African father and Aboriginal mother who has publicly said he is already planning to work with the indigenous community as a welfare officer when he retires.

Idris’ Canterbury club, who he debuted for in 2008, are refusing to give up without a fight having brought him up through the ranks of the Toyota Cup all the way to his Origin debut with NSW last year.

Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg met with Idris’ manager Sam Ayoub yesterday, and is looking to catch up again later in the week.

“There’s no doubt he has a significant off field presence,” said Greenberg.

“He’s got a great following... there’s a brand of Jamal that needs to be managed going forward.

“Being based in Sydney based particularly through his media profile is an important part of this discussion in his decision.”

The three-year deal - understood to be worth over $350,000 a season did not come from mining magnate Nathan Tinkler - but directly from the Knights.

Sportsnewsfirst.com.au can now reveal that Knights officials have grand plans for the superstar with one inside revealing the Idris brand “will be bigger than Andrew Johns.”

Despite the Knights plans, the Bulldogs CEO has gone on the record in saying they are not chasing off-contract centres Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Chris Lawrence.

“I can tell you no we’re not (chasing Kenny-Dowall or Lawrence) and our priority at this stage is to retain Jamal,” Greenberg said.

“Were very hopeful Jamal will stay.

“We need to sit down with Sam (Ayoub) to discuss what the deal will look like and the terms but he’s certainly the priority for us."

Greenberg has warned the young star that financial gain is not the only factor needed to be considered in what will be the biggest decision in his career to date.

“There are a number of key issues for Jamal to consider, we’ve developed and worked hard with him,” Greenberg said.

“The type of roster we’ve got... there all the parts of how we retain him.

“We’ll be very commercial with our offer but we certainly won’t get into a bidding war.”

The Aboriginal Nigerian’s move to the Knights would make for a shorter drive to his close family and friends in Forster, with the Canterbury CEO telling Sportsnewsfirst.com.au that there would be no hard feelings should he decide to leave the club.

“Players need to maximise their commercial value, I completely understand that but they also need to have a longer term picture," Greenburg said.

“Players like Jamal potentially have ten years in the game so they need to keep in mind what they want to achieve long term as part of their discussion.”

http://bit.ly/igHCh1
 
Last edited:
With Ennis, locked away now, it is looking more likely we will have this guy for 2012. I cant see any team coming close with this over the top offer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top