Dane Gagai Re-Signs with Knights until 2017

He's a decent friendly guy from what I've seen in interviews, so I wouldn't put him in Boyd's boat ... he's free to leave at the end of his contract, I wouldn't hold that against anyone.

Not to mention he no doubt only came here because of Bennett in the first place, so you can't blame him for moving on now he's gone.
 
It was good to have him while here, good luck to him I say. I hope we don't go down the path of dropping him for signing for another club rather than for poor form, it doesn't look very classy IMO
 
Lol at dropping him because there's a possibility he might not be here at the end on his contract.
You may as well drop every player that comes off contract.
 
Gagai has his moments of brilliance and he's a really strong player but he's never really shown consistency and he's struggled at centre at times. I'd prefer to see him at wing or fullback but I don't think that's going to happen. We have Mamo who in my opinion is just as good. And Sione is a better centre prospect so we won't be lost without him but it'd nice for him to stay.

I'd love to see a backline of

1. Mamo
2. Gagai
3. Sione
4. Leilua
5. Uate

Or

1. Sione
2. Mamo
3. Gagai
4. Leilua
5. Uate
 
Lol at dropping him because there's a possibility he might not be here at the end on his contract.
You may as well drop every player that comes off contract.

Kind of agree with you here! No point dropping a player just because he COULD sign with another club. Play your best team possible while they are available imo!
 
Lol at dropping him because there's a possibility he might not be here at the end on his contract.
You may as well drop every player that comes off contract.
I don't neccaserily think he should be dropped right away but I don't think he should be guaranteed a first grade spot like he has been for the past few years. I'd 100% pick him for the first few rounds. If he's playing good; great, keep him there. But if he still plays like he did last year (especially on defence) there should be no hesitation to drop him. We have more than capable replacements who will (most likely) still be here next season.
 
It's not what we think that matters when a player's intentions to move on are raised. He needs to show his team mates that his head and heart are here NOW and not in 2016. I like Gagai he is always very accommodating when interviewed and he can play but if he wants to move on then sobeit.
 
Fair enough if he wants to go home. He hasn't lived up to the promise that he showed in his 1st season here anyway, his defence is terrible.
Also Manager will stop trolling this forum and go back to Broncos forum.
 
To be honest, I'm really not disappointed at all. He's been good for us, but, I'd rather look after our local talent. Use his money to retain the Mata'utia boys and Jake Mamo.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not having a go at him, but, it'll be interesting to hear managers thoughts.

What thoughts would you like to hear?

As I have said all along... Gagai is far from the finish product. We won't see the best of him for a another season or two yet.
Once he does fullfil his potential, there's not an outside back at the club that comes close to him.

I hope he does stay at our club and I hope Stone turns him back into a fullback.
 
What thoughts would you like to hear?

As I have said all along... Gagai is far from the finish product. We won't see the best of him for a another season or two yet.
Once he does fullfil his potential, there's not an outside back at the club that comes close to him.

I hope he does stay at our club and I hope Stone turns him back into a fullback.

Yeah agree with that, I'd like Gagai to stay and be the fullback. His issues at the moment are tackling mainly and the more minor issue of not passing much. At fullback, his tackling load will decrease and his passing game would only have to improve as his role in set plays would increase and better opportunities to pass the ball. If Gagai does stay possibly, fullback is a role, like you, I'd also like to see him take up. Centre in my opinion just isn't his role.
 
I love Dane but the knights have to move fast and offer him a contract if he doesn't accept it then new cup is where he should go and not because he isn't loyal just for the simple fact we have local juniors that are very talented I would be sione in and Dane can try earn it back from now cup. Remember Wayne dropped hodges and it didn't affect his career.
 
I love Dane but the knights have to move fast and offer him a contract if he doesn't accept it then new cup is where he should go and not because he isn't loyal just for the simple fact we have local juniors that are very talented I would be sione in and Dane can try earn it back from now cup. Remember Wayne dropped hodges and it didn't affect his career.

I hope you're not trying compare Gagai's situation to Hodge's.
A big difference.
A better comparison would be should Sione play NSW cup for all of 2015 season if he signs with the Bulldogs.
 
Back
Top