2020 Pre Season and Trial Games

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Lefty

Lefty Neil Sweeney

Retired
    The website says the “depth charts are the opinion of newcastle knights.com.au and have no input from the coaching staff”.

knightime likes this.
  2. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Timana Tahu

Levi's only attitude problem was with Brown and how he managed the team.

I think we can settle on the fact Brown isnt a good man manager, nor very good at coaching.

He sure can "excuse" his way through a presser though. It's where we were at that minute after all.

Beaumont likes this.
  3. knightime

knightime John Morris

I always found Brown to be fairly accurate in his assessment of what needed to improve in his pressers. Problem was he and the coaching staff couldn't/wouldn't do anything to fix whatever the issues were, week after week.

4. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Dean Carney

Project Manager

Yeah Wobbles I aggree he doesn't need to side step , I should have been clearer when I said lateral movement and referred to his defensive role , it appears as though there is a swing towards more mobility in the forwards out wide and there will need to be a fair amount of "Shape Shifting " to realign.

I have no doubt about him being a handful in attack , he doesn't need to use a side steep , the good old fashioned "Kiwi side Step" ( steam roll forward) would suit him better engage a few defenders with sheer size and bulk then soft hand offloads to the gaps should pay dividends.

Wobbles likes this.
  5. Simon Templar

Project Manager

Where ever he learnt it , it is an admirable trait, a contract in Rugby League is becoming a joke and I don't just lay the blame at Players , many Clubs are shopping players well before their contracts expire.

Footballers are just that, not business men.

If their futures are secured and they made accountable to their team mates there should be nowhere to hide, as they expose their sole on the field and team mates.

Only good results will come , when they think their position is being undermined by "Back room Chess" they sense the lost belief and the results reflect that.

Beaumont likes this.
  6. Simon Templar

Project Manager

Billy, if this list is comprehensive, you would conclude that Sione wouldn't be playing in the 2nd row ?

7. knightime

knightime John Morris

Don't think that can be said. They haven't done second row yet, and some players might fall in more than one category (Watson and Mann do, for example). Sione might be in both centre and second row categories.

8. Owey

Owey Rodney Howe

And if it becomes known amongst players that the club stands for something like that, it might be a reason players will actually want to come here in the future.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Beaumont likes this.
  9. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

They haven't done second row, hooker or bench yet.
    I've said before that, in my eyes, O'Brien will fail coaching 101 if he can't find a role for Sione and get some very good football out of him.

10. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Players like Sione, Watson & Mann could all benefit greatly from some good coaching and consistent positions.
    Hopefully Obi is the coach for the job.
    We will see.

11. Billy

I think Brodie Jones is the guy who has most to gain from good coaching.
    I've seen that guy go through the juniors showing amazing skills, vision, try scoring ability, leadership skills - basically the full package, and all I saw from him under Brown in the training sessions was making up the numbers as a tackling dummy.
    He is the first guy O'Brien offered a new contract to I think (was off contract after 2019). The report implied that O'Brien knew about him and wanted him to stay, which isn't surprizing because every scout in the NRL would have had a Brodie Jones file when he was just about the best of his agegroup in the comp from 15 to 18 years old.
    I want to see what happens with a lot of the young guys under the new coaching regime, but Jones is the one I think could jump out of the pack.

12. Owey

Owey Rodney Howe

Hey Billy, does Enari Tuala have bleached blonde hair on top atm? My daughter and I had a close encounter with KP, Connor and someone else this arvo. I thought it was Enari but didn't want to say that and get it wrong.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

13. Billy

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...bsite&utm_medium=home&utm_campaign=latestnews

Article on Sione.
    says he is training for second row and lock.
    Also quotes him as saying he'll play anywhere if asked.
    I think that is something the coach should ignore, and just work out his best role and keep him working at doing one thing as well as he can.
    If Brown had asked Sione to have a go at being club doctor, Sione would have hung a stethoscope around his neck and given it his best shot.
    His willingness to do whatever the coach wants has not worked well for either Sione or the team.

14. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

So it looks like Sione will be in the 17 come Round 1. Funny that.
    Judging by the comments on here you’d think he’s the worst player of all time and would struggle to make NSW Cup but the people at the club seem to have a vastly different opinion of him.

Frank McWilliams and krustykraz like this.
  15. Edogmilly

Edogmilly Danny Wicks

That would be Heath Gibbs

16. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

plenty of good opportunities to play football in reserve grade

Lefty likes this.
  17. KnightsUnite

KnightsUnite Cameron Ciraldo

Interesting you now have Watson, Sione and Barnett all training in Glasbys position of lock..

Does that mean Tim will be a bench forward to come on and tackle when everyone is a bit tired?

Use players like, Watson, Sione and Mitch with footwork and attack at lock for more minutes??

Herman also played 13 under brown

18. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Might start at prop, he did for the storm a fair bit.

19. Billy

second row depth list

Fitz
    Barnett
    Fermor
    Jones
    Mata'utia
    Guerra
    Momoisea
    Hymel Hunt

I don't agree with that order at all. I'd have;

Barnett
    Fitz
    Guerra
    Mata'utia
    Jones
    Fermor
    Momoisea
    Not Hunt - if we are that low on second rowers I'd use Jake Saifiti or Matt Croker.

20. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

For a guy that has won the prize for best player twice in three years Barnett doesn't get much love.