2020 Pre Season and Trial Games

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

They aren’t in order. The lists are just compiled from people at Knights HQ, not the coaching staff. Don’t take them so literally.

But, it’s nice to have options for once.

2. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

I don't think the depth charts are rating the players in order. I think they are just lists.

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

They all seem to have the most likely at the top and least likely at the bottom.
    Most of them seem about in the right order.

4. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Like having 2 players who haven't played first grade in Fermor and Jones above Guerra who has played for his state and country?

5. Billy

Most of the lists are close - second row one seems random in the middle.

6. knightime

knightime John Morris

The new BTP episode is a good watch. Not sure how his recovery is going specifically, but Scott Dureau looks a lot healthier and lively in the video which is fantastic to see.

Lefty likes this.
  7. Billy

Dureau was supposed to be working mostly with the juniors and Kostjasyn with the seniors, but every bit of footage I've seen hasn't really had Kostjasyn and Dureau seems to be O'Brien's shadow.

8. Billy

9. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Sean Rudder

Surely if he played 1st grade most of season with little or no injuries and played well and strong a contract would be deserved but not long term due to past record, 1 + 1 maybe.

10. luke46

luke46 Scott Carter

What was his contract.... 330k? Maybe a 1 year 250k extension if he goes alright this year.

11. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Think we should be aiming higher than Moga tbh.

12. Billy

The best outcome would be Moga playing the house down to bump up his value, and us letting him go to another club. Win/win/win.

13. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

I believe it was $380k, although he copped a big fine last year and a lot depends on his health this season.

Was thinking the same thing re: Wes

14. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

If Moga can stay injury free and plays his best footy , we don't have a centre as good as him BUT he has to stay injury free .
    If he does I don't think Obrien will be able to not pick him , At his best he is a beast on the field .

member 2299, Lefty and alexwilliams like this.
  15. Billy

Ethan and alexwilliams like this.
  16. Wobbles

Wobbles Evan Cochrane

The only way I can see Watson slotting in at lock is to play as a 2nd hooker to tandem with Brailey in situations where we have the other team on the back foot or at the back end of the match.

I'm a bit surprised that's where he's looking, perhaps it's an indication he's accepting he's best coming off the bench as a super-sub.

17. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

I think the idea is for him to come on a lock when the opposition is tired. It sounds like he will defend a lock but play like a second fullback in attack and just follow the ball carrier waiting for an offload and some space.

Simon Templar and Owey like this.
  18. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Dean Carney

Project Manager
    All indications are we are going to move towards a more mobile lock ( Ala CMurray/Victor), which is fine for attacking phases but really where defense is concerned and you have options like Barnett, Glasby, Guerra, even Esse who have shown they are battle hardened and defensively competent you need to think twice. I am not casting aspersions on Connors ability it just the intensity and frequency of the contest will bear a toll.

In saying that it will put an even bigger emphasis on whomever is selected in the 2nd row position/rotation to be a proven , consistent , solid toiler with great communication Skills, anticipation and choice selection to hold the edge together and there by release some of traffic which turned a few into turnstyles in seasons past.

19. Billy

In the photos of today's training, the unmistakable man bun of Baydon Searle in one of the backgrounds.
    I didn't think he'd survive the cut after Christmas.
    He would have arrived at the club about this time last year from Dubbo.
    It's been a big year for the 19 year old.

Lefty likes this.
  20. Billy

Couple of interviews with the development players.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2020/01/21/jirah-my-story-pearce-influence-and-2020-goals/
    Jirah talks about his limited League experience and how O'Brien has decided to move him from prop to second row.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2020/01/21/croker-mentors-trials-and-junior-rep-experience/
    Matt Croker talks about trying to keep up with the older guys. He comes across as a smart and well spoken guy and very humble. I'm not surprized - he is a very smart player and a real team player as well.