The Newcastle Knights resumed training after the Christmas break on Thursday and were put through a rigorous conditioning session at Newcastle University.
“It is good to be back here after a little break for Christmas and we are just looking forward to games now,” Gidley said.
“It is always tough stuff the weeks before Christmas, but from day one into the new year you know things start to heat up and you are playing games in six to seven weeks, so things are going to start ramping up now.”
Gidley resumed training with the team in November but he has been training for much longer after injury cruelly cut his season short in 2012.
“It has been a long off-season, after hurting my shoulder at the start of last year and then getting the reconstruction,” he added.
“It is great to be back training and training with the group and being apart of it all again."
Gidley said his shoulder is coping well with the rigours of pre-season and he doesn’t expect to be rested for the trial matches, nor does he want to be.
“The shoulder progress is good and I will move into more contact work as we get closer to the trial games to make sure it is 100 per cent by the time I play,” he said.
“I played both trials last year and I imagine I will play two trials this year again.
“I didn’t get a decent crack at cementing myself and working as best as I can in the move to halfback so I think Wayne (Bennett) will play me there in a couple of games.
“I need some time to make sure I can fit into halfback with Jarrod, I have played with him there, but I didn’t just get a decent crack last year and I look forward to it this year.”
The Knights face South Sydney for their first trial at Coffs Harbour on Saturday February 16 and then they will take on Cronulla in Tamworth on Saturday February 23.
Newcastle Knights back rower Chris Houston said after enjoying their time off over Christmas, his teammates have returned to pre-season training willing to work harder than ever before.
“We all know what is around the corner and it is a goal of everyone here to be part of a successful footy Club,” Houston said.
“We want to win more games than last year and play consistent footy and that is what is driving us at training each day.”
The Knights took part in a three-day army style camp before the Christmas break, which Houston said showed some really positive signs.
“There were some really testing moments for a lot of the boys during our time away,” he said.
“The camp really achieved its purpose and we all become closer as a group and found out we are willing to work for each other.”
Houston said he is confident having players like Beau Scott and Jeremy Smith at the Club this season will help bring out the best in his teammates.
“I have played with Beau before and he was actually my flatmate for a couple of years during my time at the Dragons,” he added.
“They are both really good fellows and you know what you are going to get from them when they are out on the field.
“We have at least 22 guys in the squad this year that should be regular first graders so the depth is really good at the moment.
“And there is a healthy competition for spots.”
After what he describes as a chequered year 2012, Newcastle Knights captain Kurt Gidley says he can’t wait to put on the red and blue this year.
“After missing the majority of last season I am just looking forward to being back out on the field with my teammates,” he said.
“The hardest thing for a footy players is injuries because you have to do the work in rehab but are not out there playing on the weekend.
“And when the team are going well you are not part of the celebrations or if they aren’t going well you feel like you should be contributing.”
With the 2013 season fast approaching, Gidley said it is important that he keeps managing his body as best as he can.
“I enjoy training and doing all the hard sessions but I need to make sure I keep getting through the sessions as best as I can,” he explained.
“I am a little bit smarter these days and if I feel something I am happy to put my hand up and let the trainers know.”
Gidley has welcomed the addition of a number of new teammates who will naturally help in a leadership capacity.
"Jeremy Smith is a great leader, a great trainer and a fantastic player," Gidley said.
"I can see his leadership has been really good in the months he has been here.
"Beau Scott isn’t as loud as some of our other leaders, he is a real leader on the field with the way he plays the game.
"We have a good leadership group here a the moment and some experienced players and that helps me out."
The Newcastle Knights will play trial matches against the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Cronulla Sharks next month and second rower Alex McKinnon told newcastleknights.com.au he is counting down the days until he is back out on the field.
“Everyone’s come back from our Christmas break in good shape and ready for the next four weeks,” he said.
“I watched a game last night on Fox Sports and realised how much I have missed being out there playing.
“I can’t wait for the next month to be over and we are back out there ripping in.”
In his first season with the red and blue, McKinnon established himself as a regular first grader, while still being eligible for the Under 20’s.
His efforts were recognised with a Dally M Rookie of the Year nomination and a spot in the under 20’s Blues and Junior Kangaroos, a team he captained to victory over the Junior Kiwis.
“I want to be a bit more consistent this season and have been concentrating on improving my defence,” McKinnon said.
“Having Jeremy (Smith) and Beau (Scott) here has been great for me and I have already learned a lot which is good.
“They are players who play in the positions that I like to play in and their experience has already helped me improve and I can’t wait to play alongside them in February.”
The Knights will take on the Rabbitohs at Coffs Harbour’s BCU International Stadium on Saturday February 16 and the Sharks at Tamworth’s Wests Scully Park on Saturday February 23.
Later this month McKinnon will take part in a three-day Emerging Blues Camp, read more here.
I don't care how long McKinnon is on contract for I'd love to see it extended already, guy has rep footy written all over him and could leave a legacy like Steve Simpson..... - Mancrush