Clint Newton a Knight again in 2014?

Smith and Tupou have outplayed contracted players Frei and VaiVai in my opinion, although VaiVai is improving every game.
They are also both about the same age as Rodney Mason and are outplaying 2 runs a game Rodney easily.
Neither of them got the chance to train with the firstgrade squad, so there is every chance they could have a lot of improvement in them.
We don't exactly have a bunch of forwards in NYC demanding spots next year - the only one who seems a real keeper is Tapine, and I learnt yesterday that he has another year of NYC.
Last year we let O"Donnell, Anderson and Cooke go, and Anderson is now a firstgrader and Cooke was not far off it before injury. Even O'Donnell is finally looking good.
I don't know where i'm going with this - oh yeah - they are all better bets than Newton.

To this day I am shocked that Rodney Mason has made it this far. How he even got a NYC contract is astonishing and imo its clearly because of his surname. Played against him in U17's and he was as use full as a 80yr grandma against our pack that included Sam Anderson and also Jay Stevens who got to trail with NYC around the time Anderson was in the side if memory serves me correctly. Was all talk no action. Would go missing big time against our forward pack which imo was the best in the comp. But yes I agree with everything said in this post.

Last edited:
Newton can play hooker as we don't have 1 for next year he has had so much success in finding good hookers like costigan

No, no, no, no, no. I can't believe this. He does not even deserve to be let in our ground again let alone being offered another contact!

I hope the crowd boos him every time get gets the ball.

I have no idea what Bennett is thinking.

It really does look as though Bennett will leave us high and dry to rebuild ourselves when he decides to leave or retire. From the outside looking in, he's going all out and has no patience in blooding guns with the exception of Rochow who has surprised us.

He left St George in tatters really, whilst picking a few of their players... And most of our young guns like Gagai, Sims and Leilua are contracted until the end of his current contract.

meh, I don't really give a ****. Everyone went crazy over Tahu and Mason and he isn't even going to play first grade. His leadership will be a plus and this isn't a signing I will lose sleep over.

But I'd still rather him not come back...

meh, I don't really give a ****. Everyone went crazy over Tahu and Mason and he isn't even going to play first grade. His leadership will be a plus and this isn't a signing I will lose sleep over.

But I'd still rather him not come back...
Newton certainly won't bring leadership. Yeah he's 32, but besides age he's got no qualities of a leader. If anything, he'll teach those around him how to be a lazy tosser when the going gets tough.

Last edited:
It really does look as though Bennett will leave us high and dry to rebuild ourselves when he decides to leave or retire. From the outside looking in, he's going all out and has no patience in blooding guns with the exception of Rochow who has surprised us.

He left St George in tatters really, whilst picking a few of their players... And most of our young guns like Gagai, Sims and Leilua are contracted until the end of his current contract.

Could be worse for you Knights supporters. Just have a look at how my mob are going. Oh the heartbreak :( :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Only a year.

Ok cheers, thought it was a 2 yr deal for some reason. Big risk going interstate on just a 1yr deal. Obviously hasn't come off. Would most likely of gotten a run up at the Broncos this year too if he stayed.

Could be worse for you Knights supporters. Just have a look at how my mob are going. Oh the heartbreak :( :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Ok cheers, thought it was a 2 yr deal for some reason. Big risk going interstate on just a 1yr deal. Obviously hasn't come off. Would most likely of gotten a run up at the Broncos this year too if he stayed.

He just gets no time and when he does he doesn't do much he's just solid. I think I've watched about 8 cup games this year and I've seen him laughing on the bench and running along the sidelined more than he's played.

1 year deal means there's that pressure to play well... But he hasn't taken it.

Smith has played much better but isn't contracted, that's where it's a little unfair.

I agree with what your saying. I have seen a few games as well. It is a disappointment because he was a very solid player up north for the Broncos. Maybe he just hasn't settled in well behind closed doors.

I thought Toka and Frei were a really good starting partnership for a while there. He has been a bit off the last few games televised, though. I think he's worth another year at least from some of the games I've seen of him, IMO.

I would definitely keep Smith, too.

Last edited:
There are so many dramatic people on here!

Yeah he walked out on our club but he wasnt happy and he had his reasons!
So many other people in league either break their contracts or clubs flick players these days!

So were 12 or whatever other players that wouldnt have been too happy. But most of them handled it like professionals. That's the difference.
e.g. Woolnough who was around 2 years later still got along with Knights fans when they played Penrith in the last round as opposed to Reynoldson being booed.

Newton took the easy way out IMO.

Frei is a decent young player who is holding his own against seasoned players in his first year of seniors. It took Kyle O'Donnell two years to get to that level.
In past years we would have been pleased to have him, but this year we have young props like Sims, Rochow, Tetevano, Toka, Smith and Tupou who are all better than him.
If you lined him up against Shaun Boss, Dane Cordner, Kyle O'Donnell and Cruize Wilson two years ago he would look like a champion.

I think the Dragons FO deserves some credit for that heh. They didn't offer Scott a contract and barring his lengthy injury he's been one of our best players and when he left he was playing Origin footy I believe.
They had no replacement for the retiring and who Im sure they knew was retiring Hornby. Or Young even though King was talked about as the successor. Ive lost count of how many halves/hooker combos theyve gone with this year.
Fair enough if they thought Soward wasn't the future but now they have replaced him with Widdop on massive coin who has a serious lengthy injury to come back from, next year might be a write off already.
Although I question the decision the FO made not to re-sign the guy who was one of the big reasons for them winning a premiereship a few years back despite the fact they punched above their weight.

I dont think Bennett had a big say in bringing Gaz back on suspicious terms either or knew much about it heh.

But Im hoping our management dont make the same mistakes. Already locked up guys the year before their deals expire like Aku so Im hoping the same thing happens next year and the year after.

Last edited:
just for you junior ...smith was told they were putting something together for him,so his manager let him know,he has been starting along with toka in most games and last week stoney told him he is 18th man because a direction from upstairs said to play the contracted players as preference,and un contracted only if needed,this week he will also not be playing but due to a little niggle he received playing club footy on tuesday to keep up match fitness,he was told he would be 18th man again in this weeks game unless tahu injured...the offer left after newton deal made it out ..ie renegged by mulholland...ps rick stone told his manager he likes him and hes been great ,just the money is gone for players like him...my problem why string him along and now hard to find a gig at this time of year,wanted to stay at newcastle loves the whole setup...knights even told him to move his wife and daughter down from townsville(she had a very good job gave notice 2 weeks ago)...so not great...dylan will train hard and play out to end of season to best of his ability if given the chance..i just dont see the point in a 32 year old guy being picked up .....jack newton must be happy..

That sounds like an absolute shambles. :(

Poor Smith ... and all for a pension aged hack who also happens to be the most hated Knight of all time amongst supporters.

Please please tell us it is not even a fourth tier signing? He made his decision to cut and run leave him in the cold Wayne.

That's really bad Paddy. Wonder if he works? Maybe he could do the same as some 20s boys?

Find it hard to believe the Knights couldn't keep him on their ranks and he worked.

Back