Clint Newton a Knight again in 2014?

Well fact is he is replacing guys who need to be given a chance but can't when has beens like he are bought. If you haven't noticed we've got a few as it is. He's got nothing more to offer.

Bottom line you don't win titles with Clint Newton in your team, IMO. We have better back row& options.

And I don't want to hear the 2007 GF.

Because if the Storm had a salary cap that year he wouldn't have been there to begin with.

One thing I will say re Clint is he's a great club man off the field and good for the juniors but we've got plenty of them who don't walk out mid season after waiting to play 100th Knights game.

He's just a pointless buy.

How many of you would stick around if you and your boss just didnt get along.

For most people who live in the real world, I'd say a lot of people would. I have done ... and I certainly didn't leave by walking out and leaving the place in a mess for others to clean up.

For most people who live in the real world, I'd say a lot of people would. I have done ... and I certainly didn't leave by walking out and leaving the place in a mess for others to clean up.

So if your boss said, look I think you should leave cause I dont want you working here, youd still stay? Thats ridiculous. And youve said he was an average player anyway so him leaving should have hardly made a difference should it not? Just playing devils advocate here thats all cause the thread seemed very one sided.

Of course it is one sided unless you are a Storm or Panthers supporter. He made his decision to leave and was under an enforceable contract at the time but it was his choice.

So if your boss said, look I think you should leave cause I dont want you working here, youd still stay? Thats ridiculous. And youve said he was an average player anyway so him leaving should have hardly made a difference should it not? Just playing devils advocate here thats all cause the thread seemed very one sided.

Most people don't have that option, there are things like mortgages and children to support on a much lower wage than Newton was on. So yes, I would stay.

Other players were told the same thing, like Adam Woolnough that year, or even Fa'aoso last year who ended up leaving mid-season like Newton, but they did not carry on the way Newton did once they'd gone. Fa'aoso said from memory he was grateful for the opportunity, would always love the club, but understood Bennett's decision because he wasn't playing well.

Newton is rubbish, but we needed all the help we could get in 2007, we were hardly playing like world beaters. If he had more seasons like he did in 2005, or ended up having at the end of 07 with Melbourne, then I'd have a different opinion of his playing ability.

That's just my take on it.

Might I add moving mid season in 2007 was not as common as today, right? Could be wrong but that was unheard of especially at the Knights let alone walking out on bad terms.

Then there was all that drama about his dad coming out slamming the club etc etc

Might I add moving mid season in 2007 was not as common as today, right? Could be wrong but that was unheard of especially at the Knights let alone walking out on bad terms.

Then there was all that drama about his dad coming out slamming the club etc etc

I would say that's right, it certainly didn't happen as often as it does now. I'd say it still doesn't happen very often at all in the same way it did back then, either.

LOL what world are you living in truth? If you go through life without difficult bosses or awkward situations you've obviously never had kids and a mortgage!

LOL what world are you living in truth? If you go through life without difficult bosses or awkward situations you've obviously never had kids and a mortgage!
you dont think ive got a mortgage or kids?? Your having a laugh arent you.... yeah ive had a few bosses I didnt along with and unlike Newton I stay and my whole family life suffered because I honestly hated going to work and probably wasnt giving the company my best work because id lost motivation. Life is way to short to spend moments of it let alone years of it unhappy, why bother? If your boss says leave now and you can get another job where you become happy then why wouldnt you leave.? And to the comments above I dont think Newton ever bagged the club, the fans or the players and by all accounts still is very passionate about the club just didnt like the regime during 07 which mind you was the same group that forced out danny buderus along with a lot of others even kade snowden who is now back and playing well.

you dont think ive got a mortgage or kids?? Your having a laugh arent you.... yeah ive had a few bosses I didnt along with and unlike Newton I stay and my whole family life suffered because I honestly hated going to work and probably wasnt giving the company my best work because id lost motivation. Life is way to short to spend moments of it let alone years of it unhappy, why bother? If your boss says leave now and you can get another job where you become happy then why wouldnt you leave.? And to the comments above I dont think Newton ever bagged the club, the fans or the players and by all accounts still is very passionate about the club just didnt like the regime during 07 which mind you was the same group that forced out danny buderus along with a lot of others even kade snowden who is now back and playing well.

Hello Mrs Newton instead???

I never said you didn't mate and its always refreshing to have a different perspective around here so welcome I haven't come across you before.

And Clint wasn't told to leave he was told he was playing for a new contract, what most of us don't like is that instead of knuckling down and showing why he should be kept he took the easy option and went to another club.

2 reasons I am against the signing of Clint Newton. 1) he's been with Jen Hawkins and I haven't and if 1 alone isn't enough 2) I don't like him. That's it in a nutshell.

I never said you didn't mate and its always refreshing to have a different perspective around here so welcome I haven't come across you before.

And Clint wasn't told to leave he was told he was playing for a new contract, what most of us don't like is that instead of knuckling down and showing why he should be kept he took the easy option and went to another club.

Oh no its ok I didnt take offense to what you said so thats all ok. I suppose I just thought the thread was a little one sided so why not have harmless healthy debate. And just to correct you on one point, newton was told to leave asap not waiting till the end of the year and was being shopped around to english clubs from what he has said in the press so I dont think he was in the same boat as woolnough.

Oh no its ok I didnt take offense to what you said so thats all ok. I suppose I just thought the thread was a little one sided so why not have harmless healthy debate. And just to correct you on one point, newton was told to leave asap not waiting till the end of the year and was being shopped around to english clubs from what he has said in the press so I dont think he was in the same boat as woolnough.

Source for that? I've never read anything like that in the press.

Newton was told to explore options for the following year as he was a 'floater' in Smiths' plans moving forward. Nothing about him being told to move on.

I only have to look at the Kirk Reynoldson situation to admire how well he dealt with things publicly.

And every other player back then.

Newton the first to quit Knights
Brad Walter and Brett Keeble
May 29, 2007

MELBOURNE officials are considering making a formal approach to representative forward Clint Newton after he left the Knights yesterday in a dramatic move predicted to be the start of an exodus from the club.

Newton, who played his 100th first-grade match for Newcastle in Sunday's record 71-6 loss to Brisbane, said his heart was no longer with the club and hinted at a falling-out with new coach Brian Smith after being granted a release from the rest of his contract.

Despite having played for the Prime Minister's XIII in 2005 and being selected for Country Origin the past two seasons, Newton was unhappy to have been dropped from the Knights leadership group and felt he did not fit into Smith's long-term plans.

The departure of the 25-year-old son of golfing great Jack Newton coincided with the retirement yesterday of veteran prop Luke Davico, who has not played first grade this season, and several other players are also set to leave.

Among them are starting front-rowers Josh Perry and Adam Woolnough, who are both off contract and yet to receive an offer to stay, and centre George Carmont.

The Knights signed Luke MacDougall from St George Illawarra yesterday and have been linked with two more Dragons, prop Jason Ryles and centre Wes Naiqama.

Jack Newton, who is also his son Clint's manager said: "A new coach is going to put his stamp on the joint, there's no doubt about that. One would have expected that from someone like Brian, which is fair enough.

"[But] when you've got local boys and blokes who are passionate about the jumper and the culture of the club, when you start to bring players in from all over the place, is our culture under threat? That's a question I pose but I don't know the answer to that."

Newton revealed that after recently receiving a London Harlequins offer, Smith told him that he was considered a "floater" at the Knights and should strongly consider accepting it.

The Newcastle-born second-rower said he felt he could no longer play for the club after hearing that.

"It's extremely difficult for me to come to this decision but I feel it's in the best interests of myself to do this now," Newton said. "It's too hard a game to play at the best of times, let alone when you're struggling with other influences that make it even harder. Having to leave mid-season, leave all my best mates, and my family and this town behind me, that's the hardest thing for me. But right now I'm not happy, and I play this game because I love it.

"I'm just sorry that I can't help them for the rest of the year. I just can't do it any more, and that's why this decision has come to a head today."

Asked last night about a falling-out with Newton, Smith said: "[There's] no fall-out from my end, mate."

But Newton, who has a British passport, said he was considering offers from clubs in Australia and England, which are believed to include Wigan and St Helens.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said no one from his club had spoken officially to Newton or his father, but a Melbourne official confirmed the Storm's interest - provided he was prepared to play for little money this season.

From: http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/new...s/2007/05/28/1180205160664.html?page=fullpage

Newton dropped the bombshell announcement at a press conference at his home, saying he had been told by Knights coach Brian Smith he was not required at the club next season.

From: http://m.canberratimes.com.au/sport/knights-release-clint-newton-20070528-f9a.html

Expect someone to sign from the knights this week. I don't know if it's a resigning or signing elsewhere yet. But ill try my best to find out.

Back