Who will Bennett axe, retain & recruit for 2013?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Angelus, May 13, 2012.

1. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

I didnt realise he was 26 but still. If Gids is playing in the halves for the next 3 years whats the likely hood of guys like Roberts staying around knowing he will be in NSW cup till then?

- - - Updated - - -

Gidley has shown he is more then capable playing in the #9 and it would be the short term answer imo on what to do with Roberts and who to play at 9

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We should buy back Liam Higgins or wait for Clydsdale to be ready - or maybe ask Clydsdale's older brother if he wants to make a comeback.

3. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Too bad what Roberts does, apart from his form kicking goals and playing well against Canberra there is no try assists, linebreak assists. He is a stop gap halfback at best and a handy back up. No other club is really struggling for a halfback either.

Accomodating him for Gidley is one of the most bizzare things.

Gidley can play at hooker when he was peaking in his career IMO in 08/09 he was injury free and his motor was insane. Adding to that he has only played a couple of games at hooker, not an all year round thing.

I very much doubt he can take on a full time hooking role in 2014 when Buderus retires, at his age.

4. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Fairy tale stuff isn't it.

He might be off to the ESL anyway by then. Body might have had enough of the NRL.

5. josh2010

True, But i just see Gidley as more as a #9 then Half. Have never really been a fan of him at half tbh. but thats just me.

6. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Remember those games where Gidley would played hooker in attack and fullback in defence :lol:

How things have changed...

7. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Couldn't have summed up my thoughts on the whole Roberts/Gidley debate better myself!

8. josh2010

Well put it this way. I think there are more positions we need to worry about before we look at Hookers.

9. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    Really?

Hooker is the biggest question mark in the short term. We have no experience FT NRL hooker if Bedsy gets injured, or when he retires.

Fullback - Set for now and into the future, great depth.
    Wingers - Set for 2013, unknown for 2014 but whens the last time Newcastle had poor wingers?
    Centres - Set with Tahu, Gagai, some good junior prospects. Is LikiLiki still here next year?
    Halves - 2 experienced halves, with 2 decent rookies (Stig/Roberts)
    Prop - Looking like a good mix of youth and experience. Probably need another old head (like Poore) to make a great rotation. When Mason retires, Sims steps up to partner Snowden.
    Backrow - Always an area of strength. Housten, Scott, McKinnon, Smith. Great balance of youth and experience again.

Hooker - No clear replacement for Buderus if he is injured, or for 2014. Currently playing Costigan as a stop gap hooker for periods of the game instead of blooding a youngster. Bennett chased Cam King pretty hard from reports. That to me says Hooker is massive ??? in Waynes eyes.

Top three priorities should be, sign an experienced prop who is younger than Mason, a hooker to groom to replace Buderus, and maybe a centre to replace Tahu 2-3 yrs down the track (but that should easily found inhouse).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  10. josh2010

I think we are a FRF or 2 short atm. Surely we have a #9 capable of doing the job in 2 years time?

- - - Updated - - -

All depends on what price Baptiste will be.

11. Gilly

Gilly Jake Mamo

Baptise is going to be a star. He's a class above in the QLD Cup and hasn't looked out of place in his time in the NRL. Would be a great signing IMO, could basically slot straight in for Bedsy when he retires with minimum work required.

12. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Baptiste is a really good player from what i hear. C'mon guys, Bedsy will retire next year & Gids has just turned 30, Adams is not a starting NRL hooker either. I'd be very happy with Baptiste, one of the best junior hookers going around, i just hope it wouldn't stop the progression of Clydsdale. Bedsy said in the Knights Insider that the club sees Clydsdale as a potential first-grader so who knows what their plan is.

13. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

He is the perfect fit for the Knights.. Would love to see him here from next yr..

14. josh2010

Wouldn't mind Knights going after Harrison from Raiders though. If its true that he is on the outer he would be a great buy!

15. Mark

Mark Willie Mason

Baptiste > Clydesdale

Also screw the Broncos! How do they manage to hold onto second string talent like they do? We had one bloke (KOD) who came through our system (2yrs). As soon as he showed potential in FG he was snapped up... The Broncos had Gagai just sitting there doing nothing, Baptiste should wake up and leave

16. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

I reckon the Broncos are regretting the way they handled the Gagai fiasco though. That was a huge gaffe.

17. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Getting drilled by Burgess was hardly endorsing, and I think he was a mistake debut as bad as that sounds. Rochow would have played before him if he was fit.

18. Junior11

Dane Gagai, Willie Mason, Beau Scott, Jeremy Smith, Justin Poore, Kurt Baptiste

I like! Pretty good considering all the players that are leaving (apart from Taia) I wont miss. I see nothing but upgrades here.

Gagai better than Sau and Wes
    Mason better than Faaoso
    Scott better than Edwards and O'Donnell
    Poore better than Tui
    Smith better than Taia
    Baptiste better than our other backup hookers

19. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    Taia leaving still cuts deep, he must have been gettin paid overs cause how could you not want to keep him, he's a legend

20. Junior11

Yeah Taia is our biggest loss for sure imo. But with Houston, Smith, Scott, Costigan, McKinnon all demanding spots in the 17 and young guys like Tetevano, Anderson, Sims, Rochow pushing, it's not hard to argue with the decision. Would've preferred Costigan to go instead though.