Toohey's News

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by slotmachine, Apr 7, 2018.

1. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Are you suggesting that they get Ponga to sign multiple contracts and have a surprise gift pop up on his doorstep every other week?

Wobbles, Jaybro, Battler and 5 others like this.
  2. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Do they ever take into account what a player brings to the Club off the field ?How do you put a value on every second kid wanting to be K Ponga and every second teenage girl wanting to be with him ?

3. Damo Levy

Damo Levy Marc Glanville

No. My suggestion was...

4. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Let’s not put labels on these things. I’m not a teenager or a girl but I very much want to be with Ponga.

5. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

They had you at Ponga pogo stick

6. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

#PlentyOfHomo

7. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

I think we should at least speak to KP about the possibility of signing a 10 year deal, he might not be interested but if he is that would secure our future for a long time.

Some will argue against it, but I’d be comfortable with him singing a 10 year deal for 1.something Mil

8. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The next team to sign Ponga will be the team that offers him stupid amounts of money.
    He came to the Knights because we offered him stupid money, and his father, who is used to travelling around for the best money in the mining industry, knew that you take the money while you can get it.
    Just because everything is coming up roses for Ponga at the Knights doesn't mean he will give us a reduced price to stay here.
    We should enjoy him while he is here, because one of the other 15 clubs or Rugby Union will offer him a ridiculous amount of money, and he'll take it.
    Our best bet would be to get a year or two more by upgrading the money we are giving him now if he signs for a bit longer, but long term, we'll have to sell half our forward pack to keep him.

9. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Plenty thought the taumalolo deal would bite the cows on the arse but they're looking pretty clever right now.

Wobbles, Battler and Jaybro like this.
  10. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

It’s his father who is apparently pushing the upgrade & extension talks, moving around to work in mines is a lot different to moving clubs.

I’m sure if we offer him a good deal he’ll stay

11. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

Your selling this club short I believe. Players tend to come here and love the area, the relaxed away from the city lifestyle, the footy mad town and fantastic support they get no matter the result on field.

Players talk of wanting to retire in the area!

That may not be enough for a player to stay if another team is going to pay them substantially more, but may help overcome a bit of a shortfall.

Wherever he plays, he is going to be very wealthy by the end of his career, already is, and his career after football is already taking shape with his Foxtel deal.

Tasgirl likes this.
  12. knightime

knightime Adrian Brunker

I suspect that it would be unlikely we'll see another deal like that, simply because Taumalolo could otherwise be negotiating better money towards the end of the deal when the cap increases and player salaries generally increase. The Cowboys will be getting great value from him whatever the pay is, but particularly towards the back-end of his contract.

13. MisterLevy

MisterLevy Rod Whitaker

How many years to go. It could still go south.

And that’s not the point. It’s not that long contracts will always go wrong. Just that it is a gamble.

Unless they have multiple clauses to protect both parties to cover injury, off field troubles, form slump, cap increases, etc. Then I would have no problem with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

Signing a long term deal is in the interest of the player, not so much the club.

It's insurance for a player that no matter what happens, they have their contract.

I do love how people are talking about the Tal contract like he is locked in for it's entirety. It's a quaint notion, but not exactly realistic.

MisterLevy likes this.
  15. knightime

knightime Adrian Brunker

It's a mutual benefit for the club and player, if the player is playing well and if the deal is also commercial for the club. Look at Ash Taylor and Milford, for example. Both of those players are (IMO) not living up to their price tags, but it is becoming more common that key players are commanding that sort of money. Towards the end of Taumalolo's contract, he could be earning $1.5mil - $2mil per year (for example) if salaries continue to increase. Completely hypothetical, but if he is playing then to the standard he is now, then the risk for the club is a commercial one because they'll be getting greater value out of him towards the end of the contract still at $1mil per year.

16. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

Yeah if you caught Ponga in bed with your missus you would pull the covers up so he didn’t catch a cold.

Ethan and knightime like this.
  17. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

Except that towards the end of the contract, he will start realising he is worth much more, and either the club upgrades him, or he leaves ala Klemmer.

People actually still believe a contract is binding these days?

18. knightime

knightime Adrian Brunker

Yes. Contract law hasn't changed and from a legal standpoint, both parties must comply with the terms of the contract. As we've seen though, there are extraneous factors which generally come into it. If the player is unhappy, why compel them to stay when they won't be providing value for money? As you mentioned, if Taumalolo realises he's worth much more later on, then it's very likely the contract might be terminated early by agreement for that reason.

Joshhh likes this.
  19. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

There is no guarantee the salary cap will go up by that much at the turn of the next decade with the growth the sport has experienced from online media in the current present.

I think it will be a steady climb but I don’t think it will practically double like it has in the last ten years.
    More money is being invested in player welfare and concussion minimisation amongst other things.

We are already ‘projected’ to be at 10m by 2022 so towards the end of JTs deal with future cap increases it may look like a bit of a undersell from his point of view (excluding injuries and physical decline) but I do think from a players point of view it isn’t the worst idea in the world to take the security in these types of deals.

I would find it hard pressed to see the salary cap being much more then 15m or so by the end of 2030 and of course that depends on if the media keep crapping on our game or not.

If Ponga is fielding 2-3m union offers in a couple of years personally I’d just say thanks for everything but it’d be impossible to compete.

Joshhh likes this.
  20. Lefty

Lefty Lenny Beckett

And Kalyn is a country boy, so living in one of the big cities would be a shock to his system.