Are we there yet?
Gonna be a long day.
Pacing is the key, no beersies till after 8pm here in NZ. Game isn't on till 9:30 at night, which has absolutely nothing to do with my sudden coming down with Man flu and taking a hit for the team at the office by not bringing my bugs to work.
I think the Roosters are in for a rude awakening. They probably see the Knights as an opportunity too good to miss, they think they are going to be facing their dream opponent (the list of who you want to play in a GF is gonna be someone outside the four, and to drill down into that you could imagine their wish list looking like 1. Cows 2. Knights 3. Rabbitohs in that order).
I ain't gonna pretend to be an expert on the Knights, they are not my club, I have watched more of their games this year than your average neutral though, and I watched all of their games in the last quarter of the season, so I have a feel of what is going on, and I have seen all of the Chooks fourth quarter run.
Newcastle's defence is how this game will be won, it is not reactive, it is the type of defending that gets imposed on you. Watching the second half of last week revealed a lot, especially once the Knights defensive line was shortened. Time and again the Panthers tried to go full Riff ball with their hot potato upper gear second phase killer attack. But they ended up looking clunky, because the Knights were flooding the zone with bodies and forcing errors - which tells you that the defensive leaders like Ponga are directing based off accurate vision, that the communication is on point, it shows accurate positioning of players, but most of all, adaptability (when you have 12 you are going to constantly have to cover short edges, the only way to do that for eighty minutes is if EVERYONE stays live and alert, and in scramble mode, you rely on a mate to turn up for his brother, especially the hard running from the inside out to close holes.
This team behaves defensively like a hive minded single organism, I guess I am talking about effort plays, the ones you aren't coached on, the personal decisions by individuals to sacrifice what little energy they have left for the bloke next to you.
All of that sophisticated and effort driven defence points to great coaching. Hey, if you do it once it could be explained away as effort (apparently the Knights played their GF vs Souths, oh wait...no against the Warriors....hold the phone they definitely played it against the Panthers.)
12 men can beat 13 off effort, but do it twice? that is system stuff (Warriors and Penrith lets not forget were teams one and two - not just ladder, in attack and defence).
Provided the Knights just roll with the plan, everything will be fine, the Roosters will have a very bad evening, that killer attack of theirs won't find easy purchase against the defence the Knights are running because it is smart, fast, adaptive and relentless. Those micro effort plays (like getting a hand under the ball on a try line) are all down to a team understanding the do or die play by play mentality of winning finals.
And as we all know this Knights grouping use the same number counting, the same stacking of edges when it comes to their attack (because they are bloody well coached both sides of the ball) if the Roosters line gets broken, they will see three to four Knights coming through that breached line in support, and the problem for the Roosters is that their fullback and Winger won't be able to just hit the ball carrier and shut it down, since the ball carrier is waiting for them to be drawn in.
Those length of the field Knights breaks are no fluke, nor are they the hail Mary type breaks that look ad hock or ad lib, these are Fullback constructed set play block shape breaks run at you from the 'wrong end' of the field.
For those of us getting sick of system ball, it is a sight to behold, all hail the return football, rather than over constructed athlete stacked suffocating boring cynical grind fests.
Some games you don't even feel like you are watching the same sport anymore.
Anywho I will stop there, like I say, I don't know the minutia of this side like you all, I just know good footy when I see it.
COME ON NEWY, one last time. Do or die who cares. You got here. You earned it. Take your shot.