Seibold to the Knights rumour

Seibs never had the full, trust/ support of the board/owners similar to what happens at the bulldogs 2/3 times every 10 yrs

Not sure how you can possibly say that. They headhunted him and threw out their all time greatest coach to get him. If that’s not trust and support of the board I don’t know what is.

Make take on it was Seibs tried to do too much too soon. A major overhaul of a pretty good roster, cut ties with the past to reinvent a modern culture. He had five years but managed to rip the heart out of the joint in 12 months. His ideas might be right, his implementation got a lot of people off side.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Seibold is supposed to be working with the young coaches and not the players apparently.
That makes sense when you look at our long list of rookie coaches - O'Brien, Kostjaysyn, O'Meley, Ryan, Dureau. It won't hurt any of those guys to have an older, more experienced coach to discuss "issues" with.

"Hey Seibs, how'd ya do this at the Broncs? I don't wanna make the same mistake!!".

Make take on it was Seibs tried to do too much too soon. A major overhaul of a pretty good roster, cut ties with the past to reinvent a modern culture. He had five years but managed to rip the heart out of the joint in 12 months. His ideas might be right, his implementation got a lot of people off side.

See, I don’t think he had a great roster to work with. Not saying he’s a great coach at all, but look at the stupid deals that had been done before he got there. Milford, Boyd, Bird all useless and on ridiculous money. Isaako and Lodge overrated and on long term deals. An ageing Macca on huge money. No experience in outside backs. Young forward pack with only Glenn as an experienced head. I honestly don’t see Walters doing much better until he’s had a chance to re-balance the roster.

Seibold cant blame the lack of experience. He is the one that got rid of most of their experience.

That’s true, but their most experienced were (and some still are) on stupid deals. Bird and Boyd now gone, but they’ve still got Macca and Milford on ridiculous money. If Ofahengaue goes to Tigers and Broncs subsidise that deal for the next 2 years as reported, there’s another stupid cap move also. Broncos administration is totally inept. Again, not saying Siebold is a good coach. But just wondering if any coach could make a real go of it with the clowns in the front office running the show currently.

I couldn't fathom letting McGuire go, no matter what the salary cap space. He was unlucky with Gillett. I do believe Bennett though when he said he was preparing to be around the next season and was happy with the roster. Also, Milford has massive talent if a coach could use him well. Bird was unlucky I suppose, Boyd I see as a going away gift from Wayne, both to Darius and the Broncos management.

Seibs was too big for his boots and thought he’d come in a fix everything, reinvent the wheel. E like walking into the Roosters and telling them they are doing everything wrong and changing everything.

It reminded me of Brian Clough's time at Leeds United for 44 days. He took over the best club in England at the time and his first day on the job told the players all the trophies they'd won weren't worth scrap because they weren't won his way. Never regained the players trust. Retold in the movie "The Damned United".

I couldn't fathom letting McGuire go, no matter what the salary cap space. He was unlucky with Gillett. I do believe Bennett though when he said he was preparing to be around the next season and was happy with the roster. Also, Milford has massive talent if a coach could use him well. Bird was unlucky I suppose, Boyd I see as a going away gift from Wayne, both to Darius and the Broncos management.

Easy to say after the fact, Bennett also wanted things done his way when transitioning between coaches and the reigns which as a coach is not apart of his job title. Similar to his first stint at the broncos. It’s also easy to dictate your own terms in transitioning when the blame doesn’t fall on you when you’re gone, so I don’t blame the broncos front office for doing things their way even though they got it wrong. In short he made sure his guys were taken care of.

Seibs was too big for his boots and thought he’d come in a fix everything, reinvent the wheel. E like walking into the Roosters and telling them they are doing everything wrong and changing everything.

That's the job they hired him for I reckon. The Broncos weren't doing anything under Bennett for a while there, I've always thought after seeing the success of young, modern coaches like Robinson, Maguire, Green, Seibold etc. taking over the game they got worried that the club was falling behind & Bennett wasn't good enough anymore. Seibs came in & tried to change the whole culture up which is what they were looking for I think. They even had stories about playing music in training which I guess under Bennett was unheard of. It wasn't exactly changing up a successful organisation, it was about reinventing a dying organisation that hadn't had the success they've expected for a long time now.

I never thought Seibold was going to have much of an impact on the NRL role as from the outset it was described as a consultancy role only, not a hands on coaching role.

I'm sure he has a lot to offer our rookie coaches though.

Adam O'Brien answered a few questions about Seibold in an interview in the Newcastle Herald saying he bought him along because of his experience in the Storm system and the traits he will bring with him from there that can be passed on to the current rookie coaches and assistant coaches. He said it was not a favour for a mate and has high expectations of the plans he has in place for his coaching staff and their development to provide an environment where they can all learn and grow into successful individuals.
He also said that while Seibold's current role is a sounding board for the coaches there isn't a set ceiling to the skillsets and traits he can provide and he left that open to interpretation.

Highly doubt we will be hearing much from him(Seibold) throughout the year.

If O'Brien knocks back the contract extension he is being offered, I will assume he's measuring up a Melbourne Jersey and will then tell us that it's a really happy co-incidence that his mate Seibold is ready and willing to take over, and already knows the boys.

Like Brown moving to Warriors as an assistant I said at the time he would be the next Warriors coach.

Difference is Kearney was already on thin ice. Here OB is pretty safe, though he may be eyeing off a move to Melbourne with Bellamy retiring.

Most people that land at Newcastle love the place and want to stay. Hopefully OB is one of them.

I really think Ryles has been told go and have a look at another system before coming back to the Storm as full time coach. I hope so anyway, I don't want to lose Obi. In all honesty, I believe it would be hard to walk away from the 2 years hard work he has put in here when things are starting to come together, even to take over at the storm.

I doubt Ryles would have not made himself available to other open head coaching roles and offers if he didn't think that one day he would succeed Bellamy as the next coach of the Storm.

Back