Seibold to the Knights rumour

Thought Garth Brennan could be a good replacement for Furner if he leaves. Has head coaching experience and is a Newcastle fella.
I'd love to see Garth do the job Troy Pezet used to do in recruiting and coaching lower grade talent. Garth has a record that is second to none when coaching at under 18, under 20 and reserve grade level at both Newcastle and Penrith. He has literally found about 50 stars of the game over the last 10 years or so.
I don't know if we could find enough money for him, but he'd be perfect for that role.

There hasn't really been anything substantial that implies Furner is even being considered or contacted about an assistant coaches role elsewhere. Or a head coach for that matter too. I still believe there is unfinished business for him here but since the Knights do most things behind closed doors if it does happen we probably won't hear about any big details.

If a team did consider Seibold as an assistant I wonder who the team would contact within the Broncos to do their due diligence on him?
He seems to have an okay relationship with Paul White and he would probably be the one who does it...

There hasn't really been anything substantial that implies Furner is even being considered or contacted about an assistant coaches role elsewhere. Or a head coach for that matter too. I still believe there is unfinished business for him here but since the Knights do most things behind closed doors if it does happen we probably won't hear about any big details.

If a team did consider Seibold as an assistant I wonder who the team would contact within the Broncos to do their due diligence on him?
He seems to have an okay relationship with Paul White and he would probably be the one who does it...

Surely they would contact the Broncs, but wouldn’t give much weight to what they say. Their recruitment, retention and general decision making has been poor the last few years. Suspect they’d contact Bellamy and the Rabbitohs for their input (which you’d think would be kinder to Siebold anyway). Obi and Cronk seem to rate him.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...gBh4_Lf995Bda9Lp_gmdUXnH6EVzO_7i4q-pMSW-wIqbM

Toohey mentioned Seibold has a close association with O'Brien in his "Toohey's News" yesterday, and in this article the telegraph has got some quotes from Cooper Cronk about Seibold as a coach in Melbourne with O'Brien.

If Furner gets a head coaching role and leaves, we could do a lot worse than an NRL coach of the year who seems young, keen and hardworking.

Sure ask Madge about what a trustworthy fella he is or the Bunnies after he gave them his word that he wasn't talking to the Broncos.

Sure ask Madge about what a trustworthy fella he is or the Bunnies after he gave them his word that he wasn't talking to the Broncos.
As reported by those trying to blacken his character.
As I said in another thread - you can't take anything said about him in the last few months as anything other than attempts to justify knifing him at the Broncos.

Surely they would contact the Broncs, but wouldn’t give much weight to what they say. Their recruitment, retention and general decision making has been poor the last few years. Suspect they’d contact Bellamy and the Rabbitohs for their input (which you’d think would be kinder to Siebold anyway). Obi and Cronk seem to rate him.

Yeah I guess. It's for a different type of role too so the players would still be playing under O'Brien. He did actually change the structure of the Souths attack when he first came there and it took a few weeks for it to show but they looked good for a while there. Perhaps he has some pointers on that if he did come here. Would be dealing with experienced heads at least.

https://www.zerotackle.com/seibold-...qv_IJE2SY-t-OYmVfwVetFoOOEgZnPSDk4h-eyZzpWVNE

Another article.
Says Furner might go to Bulldogs.
Quotes O'Brien saying good things about Seibold and not denying it.

Quotes from O'Brien;
“He‘s a good coach,” O’Brien said.

“The thing with me is, I always have people around me who have been through experiences and this has certainly been an experience for him.

“But I just want to make sure he‘s all right.”

This basically all stemmed from Tooheys news when he said don’t be surprised if Seibold is considered if Furner goes to Sydney for family reasons and to take up a head coaching role.

Pretty much everyone else has rolled with it and misinterpreted it in their own way to get a story.

Because Seibold is the headline coach of 2020 for click bait if this was any other coach no one would give a crap.

Looks like Young at the Dragons, Brownie at the Wortiers, Green at the Sharkies, Barrett at the Doggies, Payton at the Cowboys and Kevvy at the Doncs does not leave any spare head coach possies for Furner.

It would be a bold move by O'Brien.
It was pretty clear under Brown that he didn't want an assistant coach who could replace him or be a threat to him.
O'Brien would have to be pretty confident to hire an assistant with a much stronger resume than he has, although you could argue that he has already done that when he hired Furner.

David Furner had a pretty average first grade coaching resume, smaller sample size then other coaches but his win record was overall less then 50%.

He then served his time as an assistant at the Cowboys (during their premiereship run) and the Souths for a bit before coming to Newcastle.

Nathan Brown's resume for first grade coaching was also pretty solid before he came to Newcastle with a win percentage average in the high 50s. But even with coaching the Knights his win/loss record is 50% so Furner wouldn't have been much of a threat anyway if he was still here.

I personally think even if he does want to be a head coach again one day Seibold wouldn't mind being an assistant somewhere first, where the limelight is off you and you don't have to deal with the media nearly every day or every week. Could do his job without the distractions. I think he does genuinely enjoy coaching.

Plus he isn't coaching a Sydney team or the high profile Broncos at the Knights so anyone talking smack about him here would be baseless without a clue what they were talking about.

The favourite way seems to be with Griffin and Young as Assistant to take over in a few years (or the next emergency maybe)?

Was told today that Siebold and Roger Best (Bradman's father) shared a house when they both played for London Broncos and are good friends - for what that's worth.

Im bit worried about the effect on the squad Seibold could have.

If reports around the Broncs are true, Seibold caused player unrest, his complicated systems caused players to not know what they were supposed to be doing.

The current Broncs coach said the changes made were to simplify things.

Our squad isnt known for handling complex game scenarios and systems in defence or attack.

Ponga is an adlib weapon and forcing too much structure could stifle him.

Back