ROUND 1: Knights v Warriors @ Hunter Stadium

The good this is it's round one and our execution should be 10 times better next week. It's easier to fix that than it is to fix the heart and attitude of a side and their determination and heart today was as good as I've seen it. So I hope they keep playing like that and just work on being more crisp and we should be okay.

Heart is exactly how I would describe it mate, at 14-6 down at halftime if the warriors score 1st in the 2nd half 20-6 is almost insurmountable but the lads defended their asses off and waited for their chances, you've always got to expect rusty and embarrassing errors in round 1 so if they get those out of their system we will definitely be a finals chance this year.
 
I missed the game due to work and as worried when I checked the halftime score but geez I was so happy when I checked the fulltime score !!! :D

I will watch the replay but atm I'm just happy to start our season with a win so well done boys !!!
 
Was a good tough win made easy with the late exclusion of Tomkins. Warriors still made metres at will up the guts but couldn't polish it off in the halves, something JT won't have a problem doing.

Won't be no sledging from me during the week, all things going ok tonight with no injuries im 100% confident we will knock you guys off at home next week. :)

I'm quietly putting big money on the Cowboys next week - they were made to look pathetic by a decent team and will put everything into winning and winning well next week

"Warriors still made metres at will up the guts"

What a pretend reality that is! They didn't have anymore impact through the middle than is expected from week to week. Though, it's understandable that cowboyman says this; it serves to justify his original comment which was proven to be complete rubbish

What I am looking forward to is a JT injury. If it is even a medium term lay off the Cowboys can kiss the top eight good bye haha. One man team of absolute nuffies
 
Fantastic, really felt like a "Newcastle" Knights game again. We were rusty & got heaps tired at the end but that's expected this early on in the heat. For the most part attack was energetic, defence was good, need to fix the middle up & Mullo needs to work on his last tackle options again. Rochow & Gagai have found their form again, Tyrone was trying things which is a good thing, Leilua was rocks & diamonds again but jeez he was fun to watch, Stockwell was pretty solid to be honest & Randell showed his value to the team filling in multiple positions. And lastly, how good was it seeing Uate running infield looking for the ball again, he's not quite in his 2010 form again but he's in for a big year if he keeps improving on that.
 
Last edited:
Hi Guys, well done, haven't seen the game yet but from what I have heard and read our guys did OK with all the disruptions before and during the game. Apparently all our young guys on debut and limited experience really stood up. Good to get your opinion on that. Experienced guys, especially the halves didn't do the job.
 
I think I was just expecting to see a big improvement from last year. Too soon to judge I guess. Also may be a bit bias and filthy with him due to the lower Supercoach score!!

I sat up and watched the replay last night... You were right, other than a couple of solid runs, he was pretty quiet. Still don't know the stats on how many minutes he played, but, he didn't appear to play as many as I thought he would. He was probably our least noticeable forward to be honest.
 
Clydsdale needs a bit more love.
Topped the tackle count with 41 and played longer minutes than was planned because others were injured, but managed the long minutes just fine.

It could be said that all he did was his job in an adequate way, but we needed that, and there was probably a bit of doubt about it before the game.
 
One thing from yesterday's game that I'm sure disappoints a lot of older rugby league fans was the penalty against Sione for what was an absolute copybook head on tackle. Instead of penalizing him the video should be added to training sessions as should Jimmy's "tackle" on Hurrell which of course would be shown when teaching how not to tackle. Surely He's been in the game long enough to know you don't stick your head on the tracks when there's a train coming.

- - - Updated - - -

How was stockwell? Didn't watch unfortunately.

Interesting you ask. 1 comment on twitter said he was outstanding. I suggest they give Greg Bird his crack pipe back. Gave away a pot plant penalty for a flop that led to a try and was solid at best. No better or worse than Houston.
 
For mine Stockwell pretty average performance. When he came on the game seemed a little fast for him, especially when the Worriers hit their strap last fifteen minutes of first half and first fifteen of second half.

Wonder how Cowboyman is after watching a spineless performance by his Cowgirls? His word not mine!!!
 
Really good first up win. The online defence was immense. Obviously the attack was abit disjointed but there was plenty of enterprise and it bodes well for the future when the combinations start to gel.

Gagai, Rochow and Uate were excellent after average 2014 seasons, Randell and Clydesdale were terrific in the hooker roles which was abit of a concern for me pre game. The fact that Mullen was average and Roberts made a few errors yet we still managed to beat a good team is another good sign.

Anyone know who got the Dally M points?
 
Was a good tough win I thought the 8 point try, the penalty for the one on one tackle by sione and even the sin binning were a bit of a joke but still managed to guts out a win which was good. Think uate is going to have a massive year this year was super impressed with his defence and made some good breaks, I thought our halfs execution and decisions were not up to scratch today but again was impressed with tyrones defence. Gags was easy the best on park for me, great footwork and also aimed up in defence, thought bj was a beast as usual made a couple of mistakes but was hard to contain. Sione was solid and seemed a safe option at fullback and can only improve. Our forwards were solid best for me were rochow and snowden. Was impressed with randell playing only his second nrl game and seems like a great utility to have on the bench. We were far from perfect but very impressed with the determination and will to win still slightly worried about our forward back being able to match it with some of the better packs.
 
I just skimmed through the game then. BJ was disapointing in what I saw. Looked he tried but he isn't the smartest. Uate was impressive and good game for Gagai's confidence.
 
Well we had a great afternoon yesterday. Amazing atmosphere from a medium size crowd. Gosh we made some noise. And the Warriors fans next to me were lovely so that's always a bonus.

We started off strong and to be honest I thought we were fairly soiid throughout the majority of the game, besides the obvious rust. Standouts were Dane (manager will be unbearable this week lol, and so he should), Tyler Randell (love him already), Aku, (he turned back the clock he did), and Kade Snowden. Also Joey did some dumb stuff but he is still a powerful runner and we need him at his best. It will happen I know.

The only disappointment was Mullen, especially after all the talk about how good his pre season was, and the evil thought of 'is he a bit sulky that Beau got the captaincy ' popped into my head, but then I quickly shook that off and scolded myself. My thoughts on Tyrone are in the tyrone watch thread.

I fear the Cowboys loss last night will work against us big time. They will be revved for the win against us, but I have a bit more faith now. They were all dedicated to their task and each other, and was a joy to see.
 
I've been talking Tyler Randell up all off season and yesterday he was one of the best on the field. So glad to see him do well while having played a number of positions and get his first NRL try. Aku was great and looked like he was enjoying his football, it'll be a big year for the thriller. Rochow was good too and Stockwell was solid. It'll be interesting to see what our backline will be next week. This game really felt like Newcastle of old and no more boring "Supercoach" Benny to whinge and restrict us to play crap footy.
 
I'd we are playing well I'd say sims might have to work off the bench. Which is a really good thing as he will definitely add some punch.
 
Anything but easy. Did you watch the game?

I did, perhaps i should of said made easier with the late exclusion of Tomkins. You guys made it hard for yourself by being unable to control the middle, something I feel you will struggle with all season.
 
I did, perhaps i should of said made easier with the late exclusion of Tomkins. You guys made it hard for yourself by being unable to control the middle, something I feel you will struggle with all season.

Refs tried their hardest to help both teams too! But i do agree, The first half our forwards where poor! but second half players like Snowden stepped up and help set the win up! All Knights need to do is work on Consistency
 
Back
Top