ROUND 1: Knights v Warriors @ Hunter Stadium

For mine Stockwell pretty average performance. When he came on the game seemed a little fast for him, especially when the Worriers hit their strap last fifteen minutes of first half and first fifteen of second half.

Wonder how Cowboyman is after watching a spineless performance by his Cowgirls? His word not mine!!!

I wonder why you would care so much when after all this is a Knights forum?

But there were things to take positives out of the game. We matched it in the forwards just lacked the polish against a very well organised side. Take out the nuffies in Lui and Kosjasyn for Coote and King and we will be much more potent. Also take out Hall for Tanginoa and there is more impact from the bench.

Only round 1 no cause for concern plus we are notorious slow starters proven time and time again we come home strong in the 2nd half of the year.
 
a gutsy, yet lucky, win...Gagais' intercept really saved the knights bacon...as did the two dropped-the-ball-with-the-tryline-beckoning moments the warriors had in the second half...
Gagai deserved the man-of-the-match and Rochow worked the house-down and Snowden had some good carries (and some rubbish trundles)...Aku was all power again and Randell continues to impress and showed a hell of a lot more attacking enterprise than Clydsdale...other guys had their moments but most would agree that they can do a lot better and should do so once match-fit...
paltry crowd, thought they would have gotten 20,000+ for the opening game of the year (even though it's at that time no-one really enjoys and also allowing for the fact that the warriors fans were never going to arrive in big numbers), what was half of newcastle all next door at the show or something?
still, a win's a win and it's good to get out of the blocks...
 
I wonder why you would care so much when after all this is a Knights forum?

But there were things to take positives out of the game. We matched it in the forwards just lacked the polish against a very well organised side. Take out the nuffies in Lui and Kosjasyn for Coote and King and we will be much more potent. Also take out Hall for Tanginoa and there is more impact from the bench.

Only round 1 no cause for concern plus we are notorious slow starters proven time and time again we come home strong in the 2nd half of the year.

I'll reserve my judgement on the cowboys until after next weekend. No doubt last nights performance will have your guys fired up and looking for a big game. JT being so average has me worried too lol.
 
Afte reading so many "rocks and diamonds" comments about Leilua, with notepad, remote control and pen in hand I watched the replay. At 19.30 secs Leilua went for an offload on the Warriors line on tackle 2 resulting in a loss of possession. At the 34 min mark he made a run down the touch line, waved Jimmy back inside, changed ball carrying hands to get the ball away and was tackled into touch. Every set of 6 we started from our end it was Leilua doing the hard yards. In the second half at 47 min and 55 min Tyrone threw passes that Inspector Gadget wouldn't have caught so even his harshest critics couldn't blame Leilua for either of those. In fact in the first instance Leilua had positioned himself outside of the Warriors and a decent pass would have been a try no doubt. At the 68 min mark Mullen made a half break, had Leilua and Jimmy in support and found neither of them with the pass. Again I can't blame Leilua for Mullen's ordinary pass. Despite question marks in some areas over his fitness Leilua made a strong hit up at 69 min when players from both teams were struggling for legs. At 74 min he made the charge that resulted in Rochow's try and at 76 min he made a great run earning his team a penalty. Another observation was Tyrone's defence was outstanding.
 
Afte reading so many "rocks and diamonds" comments about Leilua, with notepad, remote control and pen in hand I watched the replay. At 19.30 secs Leilua went for an offload on the Warriors line on tackle 2 resulting in a loss of possession. At the 34 min mark he made a run down the touch line, waved Jimmy back inside, changed ball carrying hands to get the ball away and was tackled into touch. Every set of 6 we started from our end it was Leilua doing the hard yards. In the second half at 47 min and 55 min Tyrone threw passes that Inspector Gadget wouldn't have caught so even his harshest critics couldn't blame Leilua for either of those. In fact in the first instance Leilua had positioned himself outside of the Warriors and a decent pass would have been a try no doubt. At the 68 min mark Mullen made a half break, had Leilua and Jimmy in support and found neither of them with the pass. Again I can't blame Leilua for Mullen's ordinary pass. Despite question marks in some areas over his fitness Leilua made a strong hit up at 69 min when players from both teams were struggling for legs. At 74 min he made the charge that resulted in Rochow's try and at 76 min he made a great run earning his team a penalty. Another observation was Tyrone's defence was outstanding.
I agree I thought bj was good had some really strong carries despite a couple of mistakes and I was very impressed with defence from both Roberts and uate considering they both have a reputation of being bad defenders.
 
Just finished watching the game again , gutsy win some of our forwards looked tired early but it was a hot day. Mullen played ok but a few kicks could have been better, Tyrone a few scrappy passes but over all he played good , BJ and Gagai played really good, Clydesdale impressed me topping the tackle count and playing long minutes in the heat , randell also played really good off the bench, I think Uate was back to his old self he played with confidence and was my MOM


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Gagai was probably our best yesterday but there were a few times where he should of passed to Aku but held onto it. How good was it seeing Aku looking like himself again? I've been talking him up to my mates all off season and he's definitely started off on the right foot.
 
I thought BJ played good, but still seemed 1/2 step behind the pace of the game, looked good hitting the ball up on the outside edges could easily be a backrower.
 
I thought BJ played good, but still seemed 1/2 step behind the pace of the game, looked good hitting the ball up on the outside edges could easily be a backrower.

He had his moments where he was good. But majority of the game he just didnt look up to it imo
 
Round 1 recovery at Merewether Baths

Sun 8th March, 12:42PM

The Newcastle Knights converged on Newcastle’s iconic Merewether Baths on Sunday morning for a recovery session after beating the New Zealand Warriors the night before.

Newcastle Knight Korbin Sims took time out to speak to his teammates about the exciting season opening win.

“It was a good feeling and unbelievable playing. I was feeling every bit of tired out on the field, but once you get the first week out of the way, it will be good next week,” Robbie Rochow said.

Adam Clydsdale, who was named as starting hooker, said the main challenge of the game was re-discovering match fatigue.

“The first 25 minutes were tough, but once I found my second wind in the second half, it wasn’t too bad.

“It was pretty tough and a lot of big boys and I got bumped a few times.

"There’s a lot to improve on but good to get a win."

Jack Stockwell made his debut in the red and blue and was impressed by the reception from his new home crowd.

“It was really good and I enjoyed it,” Stockwell said.

“It was good just being out with the boys and the fans were outstanding last night.

“They are a big side and we knew that coming into the game and thought we handled them well up the middle.”

Dane Gagai stole the show scoring two tries and making a number of crucial breaks during the match.

“It was good getting the win yesterday and always nice to get down the beach, it’s a bit of a win-win,” Gagai said.

“The plan is to back it up now.

“Hopefully we can now improve on our performance from last night and get out there and improve this week.”

The Knights will now launch into preparation for the Round 2 clash against the North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville.


http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2015/03/08/round_1_recovery_at_.html




 
Oh and how could I forget Robbie Rochow, he was fabulous.

I also want to mention Sione. Besides that amazing tackle, he was involved in everything, I noticed on the replay so he deserves a pat on the back too. I guess we are used to him on the wing scoring miraculous tries, but he had lots of good involvement yesterday.

And I shall say again....how good was Tyrone's defence!
 
would be interesting if Rochow keeps playing like that! Where would they play T.Sims?

Been thinking the same thing. I'd nearly throw Tariq on the bench for his first couple of weeks back. Then maybe at lock with Smith on to the bench. Tariq could also handle a bit of front row I think.
 
Smiths days are numbered. Don't think he''s an impact player off the bench either.

Yeah I agree. I always thought Rochow would move on to the bench to make way for Tariq, but there's no way you could leave him out on yesterday's form. It's a good problem to have.
 
Back
Top