ROUND 1 - Knights V Warriors - Friday 3 March, 6:00pm - Sky Stadium, Wellington

Harsh😀. Yes very frustrating of late , but I haven't missed too many home games in the last thirty years . Maybe getting old & senile but not going to stop supporting them now . Would love to see another premiership . Maybe I'm delusional too😀

I would tick all 3 boxes 😂

Joking I wish I could enjoy dissapointment as much as everyone on here, but I see that in the eyes of every female I sleep with.
 
Yeah the extra effort in defence was one of Pearce’s best attributes & something we have really missed in his absence. Remains to be seen how well the spine can gel in attack or how much the boys will get behind him, but Hastings is a guy who’ll give everything and live or die with the result, and won’t hide or drift in and out of games like certain other halves I could mention.
In short Pearce was a competitor, whether he played good or bad , didn't leave anything on the field .Hastings strikes me as the same type. If he can just get us looking organised , and playing with some direction it would be a good start!
 
The word woke when used as an insult is fantastic.
The people who use the word think they have delivered a killer insult, and the people who receive the "killer insult" usually feel a bit chuffed that their culturally aware stance is acknowledged.
 
The word woke when used as an insult is fantastic.
The people who use the word think they have delivered a killer insult, and the people who receive the "killer insult" usually feel a bit chuffed that their culturally aware stance is acknowledged.
To us lefties being called woke is a complement. Right wingers are too dopey to realise they are actually complementing us.
 
Last edited:
To us lefties being called woke is a complement. Right wingers are too dopey to realise they are actually complementing is.
I think the problem throwing the word around is that what it's original meaning is and to what people "think" it means now is totally different. You live by its original meaning but a lot of people choose to throw it around recklessly to make themselves feel better.
 
Robson is really good, also maybe the most underrated player in the comp, but trying to slap that name through to the keeper alongside Grant and Api is a little like when legislator tacks a somewhat unpopular rider onto a really popular bill hahaha.

If I was sorting all the #9’s into tiers I’d personally have Harry Grant on the top one, on his own. I recognise Api has been a very important part of that Penrith machine, and that they were mediocre for a few years before he arrived, but the thing about that was that all of the hookers Penny had in the years leading up to that were dog**** - that team was ready to be great, and they were being held back.

We’ll get a pretty good test of my theory that Grant is in a class of his own now that Api is at Wests - albeit with a stronger roster than the absolute dog**** Harry was able to make competitive when he played there for a year (as a rookie!) - because we can make something closer to a direct comparison. I think Harry is a once-in-a-generation player and he’s probably the single player I’d most want the Knights to sign if I had my pick of anyone in the comp, sorry Jayden…

Tier 1: Harry Grant.
Tier 2: Damien Cook, Api Koroisau.
Tier 3: Reed Mahoney, Reece Robson, Jayden Brailey, Blayke Brailey, Brandon Smith (though he needs to get in better shape, he’s a game-breaker), and it’s starting to seem like Jeremy Marshall-King might belong here too now.

No particular order within tiers, before anyone leaps down my throat.

Josh Hodgson used to be one of the better ones going but for me he’s like Robbie Farah, terrific during his peak years, but I have serious doubts about his hero-ball style now he’s so far past his physical prime.

Never really know how to rate guys like Cory Paix and Tom Starling, where you need to have someone play the first 20-30 minutes of the game for them, but I quite like both of them as well.

Good summary Robson/Mahoney Tier 2 for sure for me, and if Hodgeson can continue to improve - hasn't been fit in 2 years he goes up to tier 2.
 
Robson is so far ahead of Mahoney it’s not even funny and he is easily above the Brailey brothers.

Cook can be there with the top 3 on his day but I don’t feel he is as consistent enough compared to 2+ years ago. Can have monster games but then have disappearing acts as well.

Robson is by far the best defender out of the lot as well. While guys like Mahoney and Brailey can defend and make a lot of tackles without many being missed Robson actually punishes forwards with his defence and hits like a Mack truck while also rarely missing any tackles.
 
I think the problem throwing the word around is that what it's original meaning is and to what people "think" it means now is totally different. You live by its original meaning but a lot of people choose to throw it around recklessly to make themselves feel better.
That’s very true, but Lord was putting a whole new meaning on it altogether 😂
 
I think Cook is plenty consistent. It’s just that his “best” games tend to involve some absolute magic, so that when he’s not doing something really really eye-catching people are like “gee Cook’s having a quiet one”. But Souths are consistently one of the best attacking teams in the comp, and it’s pretty much impossible to have a slick attack without good hooker play.

He’s a bit older now so he’s not going to score as many runaway tries as he did in his absolute prime, but his service and deception around the ruck and all that have come a long way to compensate for that.

Also if you’re playing with Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell, are you gonna call your own number all the time, or are you going to focus more on setting things up for them? If Cook was in a worse team I believe he’d carry more of the offensive load, set up more stuff with his own brilliance, etc. Sort of like how Adam Reynolds never recorded particularly good traditional counting stats in attack at Souths, but now things revolve around him more in Brisbane and he’s busting out the flash a lot more.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top