Round 1 2023 Side

Agreed but AOB will play Mann for some reason...

Croker is suspended but he goes straight in
Mann can legit play 1 to 6, 9 and 13. He drove his body into the ground playing above his weight at 13. I hope Gamble goes well but not sure why everyone is rating a bloke this much who couldnt get a run at tigers and then released to broncs who then couldnt get a spot over albert kelly at one point and then dropped for a rookie in mamm whilst they where going ok. Mann has played over 150 first grade games and covers so many spots.
 
Yeah I get the concern when Mann is being asked to start at centre or lock, but as a utility he's clearly the best option in the squad.
He's a legitimate NRL-quality 14.

His biggest problem is that we've had injuries force him into the starting side often, which will only ever be disappointing. His body is also a bit fragile - he's tough as nail, but fragile physically. He gets hurt a lot and plays through it - and that makes him look worse to the outside observer.
 
He's a legitimate NRL-quality 14.

His biggest problem is that we've had injuries force him into the starting side often, which will only ever be disappointing. His body is also a bit fragile - he's tough as nail, but fragile physically. He gets hurt a lot and plays through it - and that makes him look worse to the outside observer.
He’s played one game on the bench in AOB’s three years here, so we’ll see if he’s actually used in that role in 2023. If we do then I’m fine with that, but AOB seems to want him to start every single game.
 
Interesting we seem to be be getting a lot of lower leg injuries. Guess the boys are doing a lot of effort work, either shock or fatigue work. Interesting also hearing Brandon Smith saying the roosters are doing a lot of long distance stuff, a little lightbulb moment as they are notoriously bad starters and finish strong. All makes sense.
 
NRL page on Facebook has this as their predicted side, which is the best effort I've seen from the so called experts (most have jack johns in the side for reasons that remain a mystery).

Miller
Young
Gagai
Best
Marzhew
KP
Hastings
Jsaf
Brailey
DSaf
Frizz
Fitz
Elliott

Mann
Hethrington
Thompson
Jones
 
NRL page on Facebook has this as their predicted side, which is the best effort I've seen from the so called experts (most have jack johns in the side for reasons that remain a mystery).

Miller
Young
Gagai
Best
Marzhew
KP
Hastings
Jsaf
Brailey
DSaf
Frizz
Fitz
Elliott

Mann
Hethrington
Thompson
Jones
id say thats how we will lineup with croker in for jones when he returns.
 
NRL page on Facebook has this as their predicted side, which is the best effort I've seen from the so called experts (most have jack johns in the side for reasons that remain a mystery).

Miller
Young
Gagai
Best
Marzhew
KP
Hastings
Jsaf
Brailey
DSaf
Frizz
Fitz
Elliott

Mann
Hethrington
Thompson
Jones
Yep I saw that one and thought it looked pretty accurate too. Very weird how off the mark most of them are.
 
My predicted round one 17. The only one I’m not sure about is one bench spot, Johns or Jones. But other than barring injury this is the team that should run out.

Miller
Dom
Gagai
Best
Marzhew
Ponga (c)
Hastings
D - saf
Brailey
J - Saf
Elliot - lock
Frizell
Fitzgibbon

Mann
Hethington
Leo Thompson
Brodie Jones

Crocker will come into this side replacing Jones after suspension. If Gagai or best are underperforming or injured Mapa comes into Center. I’d almost have him in the best 17 but you have to give Gagai first shot.

I like our depth in the backs (Center/wing) positions.
 
I also wonder if AOB has truly given up on Mann at lock. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him named there.
 
Anyone reckon Gagai will be on the wing?
I think Marzhew gets first crack at a wing spot meaning Gags is basically in the centres by default. I agree with Lefty though, it is only a matter of time before hisndefence calls his centre spot in to question. If it gets to the point where he is left out, and we do have genuine alternatives, then his three year deal really becomes an issue.
 
Back
Top