Pearce Replacement

I thought Lamb was potentially the best half back locally produced in a good few years, used to early with a broken veteran then when big purchases brought in was virtually let go. What should have happened was sign him to a contract for a few years, develop his skills further and see what we might have ended up with. We have to spend the time recognising and developing our best local juniors, Lamb should have been hitting his peak now and whether that was good enough or not we will never know.
Where is he now and how old is he?

I also thought lamb was our best halfback produced for years with the best shot at making it.

We chewed him up and shat him out.

But with his time in first grade, I saw plenty of playmaking and vision from him to know he had something. Just no dominant half to come through with and a horrible team to play with. I can imagine if he came through grades with a Melbourne or Roosters he likely would have turned out much better than he did here.

Have to agree, sadly he never went close to living up to the hype from what I saw. His most memorable moment was that terrible kick which cost us a win over the Bulldogs.

Lamby had some talent and vision, and was one of our best in 2017, probably the main guy producing actual points. But you could argue a lot of that was in the opening 20 minutes against teams taking us very lightly, before they’d wake up and crush us. Possibly the halfback version of what was going on with Lachlan Fitzgibbon, who’s come back to the pack a lot in a better team which is being taken more seriously.

Everyone who makes first grade is talented, but I’m not convinced he’s this potentially great player that we totally ruined psychologically etc. You can say he would have had a better time of it at a better club, but the Roosters chewed up and spat out both him and Flanagan, not everyone who’ve been through Melbourne’s system has become a Pappy or a Hughes… those clubs don’t make everyone a star, they take on a combination of guys they’ve poached from other systems + cast-offs who they think have something to offer, put them through the ringer in a really intensely competitive environment, and the ones who make it are better for the experience. If the Knights were more like the better clubs, does that necessarily mean we make Lamby a great player? Or does it mean he never plays first grade for us in the first place because that jersey gets taken by some other kid we’ve brought through the system who was willing to fight harder for it.

Is it not just possible that the sacrifices you have to make to really make it in the pros just weren’t for him, he’s happier as a part timer in the real NRL playing at a less intense level & having more fun, and that’s fine? I’m sure if he really, really wanted it badly enough, he’d be in the Super League or QCup or something, or pushing for a reserve grade spot with us. But that life isn’t for everyone.

Last edited:
I was talking to Lamb about 12 months ago and he is a lot bigger than i thought , nice bloke too and didn't mind stopping for a chat .

The Roosters moved Lamb on after we had finished with him.

The same hypothetical could be posed that if the roosters had lamb from the outset, would he have turned out better?

Who knows.

But im saying for me, I saw some potential there that was poorly developed and ultimately squandered.

Many of his games, if not practically all of them we were dominated in field position and spent most of the game running the ball from our own line, or getting hammered in penalties. Our forward pack was dominated every game.

That first 20 was the only look in we got in a heap of games. I saw more potential from Lamb than I have seen from Crossland thats for sure.

I had my reservations about the system set up by Bennett and Graham Murray with Tinkler money to bring on our juniors, but only mentioned them a few times, because, who am I to question 2 guys who have coached at the highest possible level and worked in the game since I was in short pants.

They basically threw a lot of resources at a small group of talented kids from a very early age.

Lamb is an example of why that was a bad idea. I remember watching him at 15 years old when he had already got top level coaching from Murray and Pezet and his level of skills for Under 16s was off the charts. His playmaking looked as good as most firstgraders. The problem was, he wasn't fast, he wasn't strong, he wasn't robust - and over the years he never developed those qualities to a firstgrade level.

I still think Lamb could spend a pre season in the gym and be good enough to play firstgrade as he gets a bit older and more physically mature - but he's not ever going to be an amazing athlete like most NRL players are now, and it's impossible to pick which kid will develop like that when they are 15.

Lamb is an absolute standout at reserve grade, Presidents cup and real NRL level because he has the footy smarts equal to most NRL halves - just not the strength, speed, fitness or durability.

Actually exited to see what Clune/Clifford or any new young halves can bring to our side.
Just along as we mix things up for attack next season.

Back