NRL Round 3 - Knights V Storm - Sunday 24th March 6:15pm - McDonald Jones Stadium

What will be the result again the Sorm?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lefty

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Last year we beat the Storm 26 -18 in Round 21 during our 11 game winning streak. Now we need to beat them again.

We will be home and even though it is a 6:15pm Sunday night game, we will should have a big crowd.

Hopefully we will be strengthened by the return of Jayden Brailey and we will preform better than we did against the Cowboys.

I'd still give Gamble and Hastings a couple more games, but Hastings kicking game has been pretty bad this season and he has given alot of the kicking duties to Gamble. He clearly is still hampered by his injury and don't think that injury will ever improve. He literally got hurt going for that long range field goal. The biggest reason to bring Cogger in is because he has a good kicking game.

We have to be able to attack properly if we are any chance of winning against the Storm.

Gagai is hogging the ball more than ever and KPP, Best and Marzhew need to work on their combo in the backline.

I like a Thursday or Friday, get the pain out the way early. Sundays I spent all weekend nervous about the game and then finish the weekend on a downer before going back to work.

Potential return of Brails is important, though will be setting expectations low for his actual performance - we've understandably seen quite significant drops in performance after each major injury but having 2 actual hookers now allows us to more gently reintegrate him into the side, 25 solid minutes on the weekend would be a big win and progressively eases the load of Phoenix.

Importantly it would allow Cogger and Pryce to combine in Cup and put genuine pressure on Hastings and Cogger.

Hastings' front about being as fit as ever is complete BS, he is playing exactly like a player who has sustained successive career-threatening leg injuries, has zero mobility and running threat, no kicking game, and is repeatedly failing hit his defensive marks and placing pressure on our whole left edge. No doubt he is perhaps the sole organising voice in the side, and those leadership qualities he brings are invaluable, but it will unfold over the next few months how far those qualities can extend his career without the physical ability to back them up.

Hastings and Gamble will probably get another 3 or so matches to prove their worth. They have not earned any more goodwill than that - we were never competing for the league last year despite the admirable run. While Hastings has more career achievements in SL he is now unfortunately a physical shell of that former self and should be taken as such. Gamble has the square root of nothing to his name despite bringing an admirable tenacity to the side last season, and should be assessed on the same level as Cogger and Pryce.

For the first time in a long time, we'll get to see the implications of a squad with genuine spine depth.

An interesting conundrum is when do you pull the trigger.
Assuming we lose the next two and Hastings is still looking like a crippled old man do you give someone else a chance for the Dragons/Chooks/Dogs/Phins run (all very winnable), or Hastings gets more time to improve against some bad teams.

Better having a fully fit player than one carrying a restricting injury, doesn’t matter who we are playing selection should be based on fitness to perform, if he is hurt now make the change, it’s the reason we signed Cogger, backup.
Fit I prefer Hastings with Gamble but I prefer winning even better

Hughes won't be playing this week, he took the early guilty plea for Referee contact. To be fair, unless we improve then they won't really need him anyway.

Back