Mathews and Ball 2023

18-16 win
That was harder than it should have been.
We dominated them, but they didn't know when they were beat and kept plugging away and nearly stole it.

Looks like Eels are beating Canberra, so we will be the top ranked side in both grades, but of course, the Sydney sides will get the home game, as they always do.
We should at least put in a bid to hold the games at Cessnock or Kurri or Maitland

Looks like Eels are beating Canberra, so we will be the top ranked side in both grades, but of course, the Sydney sides will get the home game, as they always do.
We should at least put in a bid to hold the games at Cessnock or Kurri or Maitland
They're at Leichhardt I believe?

Mathews GF - 12.45 Sat 29th, Leichardt Oval

Ball GF - 2.30 Sat 29th, Leichardt Oval

Both games will be on facebook nswrltv page

Article about us making 2 grandfinals.
Says we have never spent more on juniors.
Quotes Gardener as saying we aim to have 70% of the top squad home grown in the future.
Says the last time we won 2 junior titles was in 1992 when Andrew Johns led us to a Flegg title.
Gardener says Wests have upgraded the junior facilities and is spending money on the right coaches and trainers for the juniors.
Lists our 5 Mathews titles, 4 Ball titles and 2 Flegg titles.

It doesn't mention that this is our 6th grandfinal in Mathews since 2012 and we have 3 wins and 2 loses so far - so going for 4 wins and 2 loses in 11 years in Mathews.
Our best Mathews grandfinalists in that time IMO

1 Bradman Best (2017)
2 Tex Hoy (2014)
3 Sione Mata'utia (2012)
4 Fletcher Myers (2019)
5 Chris Vea'ila (2019)
6 Jock Madden (2016)
7 Jonah Pezet (2019)
8 Max Bradbury (2019)
9 Tom Starling (2014)
10 Brodie Jones (2014)
11 Tevita Pangai (2012)
12 Hudson Young (2014)
13 Jaron Purcell (2017)

14 Oryn Keeley (2019)
15 Pasami Saulo (2014)
16 Noah Nailagoliva (2019)
17 Kurtis Dark (2014)

Last edited:
It's interesting that we have been the most successful team at Mathews level for the last 10 years or so, since we started spending money on juniors again. Before that I wouldn't watch Mathews because we were so far behind the Sydney clubs that it was painful to watch.
Mathews is the level where very few players are brought in from other areas, so we get weaker in Ball, Flegg and reserves as it all becomes about how well teams recruit from outside areas.
From our last Mathews win in 2019;
Jonah Pezet - now firstgrade for storm.
Max Bradbury - now development deal at Cronulla
Fletcher Meyers - now development deal at Manly
Jake Crouch - Flegg at Cronulla
Charlie Thompson - Flegg at Manly
But we have kept a few good ones in Keeley, Nailagoliva and Vea'ila.

I expect Votano and Hilliar will have some good offers on the table next week.

Last edited:
Surely the money that Gardiner spoke about investing into juniors is also part of better $$ contracts for the likes of Hilliar and Votano. Young Mozier (sp)? the number 7 has played well these past few weeks too.

Better facilities, better coaches, must include better and more secure futures for players to want to stay and not be glitzed by big spending clubs.

Cant keep them all, but need to keep the right ones.

Surely the money that Gardiner spoke about investing into juniors is also part of better $$ contracts for the likes of Hilliar and Votano. Young Mozier (sp)? the number 7 has played well these past few weeks too.

Better facilities, better coaches, must include better and more secure futures for players to want to stay and not be glitzed by big spending clubs.

Cant keep them all, but need to keep the right ones.
The problem is that some teams don't develop many of their own.
The extreme example is Melbourne. They have developed 1 or 2 local kids to NRL level in 25 years.
They don't even have a Mathews side.
They probably spend as much money on "development" as we do, but what that means to them is buying all the best 18 year olds to play Ball or Flegg from other systems, and maybe use a few locals to make up the numbers.
If there's any place where the NRL should find a way to develop locals, it's Melbourne, but the system now means they spend minimum on locals and maximum on mostly kids from Queensland.

Jarome Falemoe had a bad head knock and hasn't been named for the grand final, Logan Aoake moves to centre with Kyle Colburn returning on the wing. We had at least 3 or 4 put on report as well so wouldn't be surprised if there's more changes on game day.

No changes for Harold Matts so far.

It's interesting that we have been the most successful team at Mathews level for the last 10 years or so, since we started spending money on juniors again. Before that I wouldn't watch Mathews because we were so far behind the Sydney clubs that it was painful to watch.
Mathews is the level where very few players are brought in from other areas, so we get weaker in Ball, Flegg and reserves as it all becomes about how well teams recruit from outside areas.
From our last Mathews win in 2019;
Jonah Pezet - now firstgrade for storm.
Max Bradbury - now development deal at Cronulla
Fletcher Meyers - now development deal at Manly
Jake Crouch - Flegg at Cronulla
Charlie Thompson - Flegg at Manly
But we have kept a few good ones in Keeley, Nailagoliva and Vea'ila.

I expect Votano and Hilliar will have some good offers on the table next week.
Jacob Davis and Noah Reed both playing Flegg for Parramatta this week also. Both from 2019 Matt’s winning side. Both promising players succeeding elsewhere also.

A podcast I listen to mentioned that they heard Miles Martin is expected to leave the Knights. Didn't give much else away. Said something along the lines of "A player agent told me that he was a good player but he won't be at Newcastle"

A podcast I listen to mentioned that they heard Miles Martin is expected to leave the Knights. Didn't give much else away. Said something along the lines of "A player agent told me that he was a good player but he won't be at Newcastle"
He's not having the same impact this year as last year, but I don't know why he is training with firstgrade and has been made captain of Ball if we are losing him.

What podcast?

I’m with Billy would be odd to showing him pre seasons and weekly apart of the 1st grade squad if the club hasn’t got a plan laid out for him.
Sure. A club can throw a bigger deal at him but would think he’d be finding a good opportunity here

Wouldn't surprise me. If you believe Toohey the Sharks asked for him during the Miller negotiations and Knights said go ahead, Martin was the one who turned it down.

I think he's a decent prospect with his size and athleticism but outside of a few games earlier last year he never really stands out in the games I watch.

Saw the start of an article in a Bathurst newspaper online today that I couldn't read in full. The bit that I could read was about Martin being captain in the grandfinal and being very upbeat about our chances.

I think the reason Martin isn't as impressive this year is because last year he was in an incredible S G Ball forward pack. It's probably a bit easier to run at forwards who have already been "tenderised" by Bradbury, Bryan and Keeley.

Back