Mathews and Ball 2023

Flegg are in front 22 - 4 near halftime
  • Freeman Forsythe 3'
  • Tyreece WOODS 21'
  • Mitch Henderson 32'
  • Aiden Shepherd 37'

That’s disappointing for both grades. The season just seems like such a waste, especially for SG Ball.

That’s disappointing for both grades. The season just seems like such a waste, especially for SG Ball.
Development is the most important thing and I think a heap of guys took big steps forward this year. A win in both grades would be nice, but from the clubs point of view, it's more important that we found 4 or 5 really promising players in both grades.

So with the end of the Matts and Ball seasons the players I have been impressed with are.
Matts
Connor Votano - fullback - He looks like he has everything you'd want in a young fullback - tall, fast, smart, low mistake rate, kicks really well, both goals and in general play, and if it doesn't work out for him at fullback, because he is tall, solid and is good under a high ball, he could easily switch to wing, and also has the attributes of a 5/8.

Will Rosenbaum - winger - he joined the team in round 6 and looked a bit raw. By the GF I thought he was one of our 3 or 4 best. He went in looking for work and all his hitups were classy, with him usually beating the first tackle and making very good post contact metres. He is a tall and athletic winger who looks like he could even be a very solid second row when he fills out a bit.

Lozi - Halfback - cheeky, scheming halfback who loves his work.

Most of the forwards also did a great job and should keep getting better as they grow.

Ball - I won't talk about Sharpe, Ferguson and Martin - they have already excelled at Flegg level and rep level last year.

McKewn - second row - big and powerful guy who plays full minutes and is always a massive handful to tackle. He should get games in Flegg soon.

Jye Linnane - 6 or 7 - he is a year young for Ball, so they might not use him in Flegg, but my opinion is that he has shown he is tough, clever, has a big motor, a good long and short kicking game, and pushed ahead of Blackman as our best half at this level.

Malachi Smith - hooker - He is a solid dummy half with all the skills you need. I wouldn't mind seeing him share the dummy half role with Nailagoliva in Flegg, with Nagsy playing an impact role off the bench maybe.

Article where the Matts coach Alex Moore urges his players to stick with it and without naming anyone, says some of them could go on to NRL careers.
He also says 3 players have been picked for City under 16s, Kyran Blair winger, Diesel Hagan hooker and Ethan Jarmain lock forward (so guys who are a year young for Matts) and 1 player, Fletcher O'Doherty, has been picked for Country under 16s (because he played several games of Andrew Johns cup before joining Matts).

This guy got the leadership award for Ball - took me ages to work out who he is
347133628_1902307993479233_1861674859745108941_n.jpg

2023 NSW Women's Premiership Award Winners:​

Coaches award - Tayla Predebon

Players' Player award - Yasmin Clydsdale

Player of the Year award - Tylah Vallance

2022 SG Ball Cup Award Winners:​

Coaches award - Kyle McCarthy

Players' Player award - Fletcher Sharpe

Player of the Year - Jermaine McEwen

2022 Tarsha Gale Cup Award Winners:​

Coaches award - Tiarna West

Players' Player award - Evie Jones

Player of the Year - Lilly-Ann White

2022 Harold Matthews Cup Award Winners:​

Coaches award - Diesel Hagan

Players' Player award - Connor Votano

Player of the Year award - Connor Votano

Elijah James To'o To'o A'ava Faalua Award for Leadership:​

Myles Martin - SG Ball

Mcewen getting player of the year in SG Ball and getting picked for city in under 18s and getting named in Flegg for the last 2 weeks makes me think we'd have won that Ball GF for sure if he hadn't been suspended.

You could see him improving every game in Ball.

Long way between Mathews and firstgrade and many guys who look great at 16 don't develop, but Votano already looks tall enough and fast enough and has a strong build as well. Hard to imagine he won't make it all the way, and the only thing better than one Votano would be two.

Back