Let's be honest its time for our team for 2021!

With Andrew Ryan likely to coach reserve grade, I'd like to think he will find a spot for Baden Searle.
Searle was recommended to the Knights by Ryan and got a train and trial for under 20s in 2019. He spent half of 2019 in under 20s and half in reserve grade.
In 2020 he got a train and trial with firstgrade and did well enough to keep training right till the end and get a run in the 9s, where he went well. After Covid he went back to Dubbo to play Presidents cup for his junior club.
Ryan and Searle are both Dubbo boys.
I'd give Searle a spot anyway, but his association with Ryan (Searle's junior coach was Ryan's brother) should seal the deal.

There was also an article in yesterday's herald about Matt Kennedy replacing Ryan as South Newcastle coach. In it, Dylan Lucas and Harry Croker were named as players from the South Newcastle grandfinal side that are on train and trial deals at the Knights over summer. Both those guys played in our Jersey Flegg side in round 1, 2020 and went to South Newcastle under Ryan after the Covid break.

Last edited:
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2019/06/25/charlestown-house-developing-the-next-gen/

Interesting to look at this clip from June 2019 in light of our current training group.
10 years ago we got young Kiwis over at 18 or 19 to play under 20s.
Simi Sasagi is the main guy in that clip. Him and Star Toa came over as 16 year olds and started in under 18s, and Christopher Vaile and Christian Ma'amania came over young enough to play under 16s.
Those parents do an outstanding job. All those kids are years ahead or where they should be I think.

Surely there has to be a better option in the club than Mann at 6, didn't work this year, so can't see it working in 2021. Great competitor that Kurt is he is not a gifted ball player.

Surely there has to be a better option in the club than Mann at 6, didn't work this year, so can't see it working in 2021. Great competitor that Kurt is he is not a gifted ball player.
I think he got better and better the more he played 5/8 and his best games were his last few.
Another off season training at 5/8 and he should be adequate at least.

For whatever reason they seem to have put a line through Crossland.
Hopefully it's only for the first month.

I for one really wish Crossland would get a run in his preferred position. I don’t know why we’re trying to turn players like him into hookers and players like Hoy into halves. Not saying it wouldn’t work, but just give them a go where they want to play.

We won quite a few with him at 6, if people are looking to point fingers Pearce should be singled out first. Still don't get why a $800k plus halfback can't own a game on his own.

Mann is a more than solid back up. If Pearce bounces back we’ll be fine until Green gets back. I still think Crossland is a better option in the halves than Mann but Obi obviously isn’t a fan.

Back