Let's be honest its time for our team for 2021!

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    No way footy comes back this year for mine, be atleast post Winter before they can even consider it.

1. Ponga.
    2. Lee.
    3. Best.
    4. Shiba.
    5. ???? We need a better option then Hunt, looked way off the pace this year.
    6. Hoy.
    7. Pearce.
    8. Klemmer.
    9. Brailey.
    10. Dan.
    11. Fitz. - Looked good this year and hungry again.
    12. Barnett.
    13. Friz.

14. Watson.
    15. Jacob.
    16. Glasby.
    17. Psaulo?

We had the best pre-season ever, our blokes looked fitter and more athletic than I've seen from any newie team so should be a big year.

What's your team?

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It will start again on May 31 with a new 14 game draw.
    They might have the SOO guys go into camp in isolation before that and get 3 games of SOO done.
    Rapid testing will make this possible.

3. Lord of the Skraelings

No way it kicks off in the guts off Winter, that's when its predicted to be at it's peak.

4. Billy

If you can test for it in 45 minutes at the ground, which is now possible if the tests weren't needed for old people like me, there would be no risk to them playing.
    Only thing holding it up is not enough tests yet.

5. Lord of the Skraelings

Hope your right, I'd love to see more footy, but yeah can't see it happening.

6. R_A

R_A Timana Tahu

The person advising the NRL believes no sport will be played for the remainder of 2020 but I guess there are a lot of unknowns.
    Few NBA owners believe their season will resume so who knows right now

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Back to topic so what's peeps teams for next year?

8. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Stop it

9. knightime

knightime Steve Crowe

Mine:

1. Pong
    2. Lee
    3. Best
    4. Shibs
    5. Toa
    6. Hoy
    7. Pearce
    8. Klem
    9. Brailey
    10. DSaf
    11. Fitz
    12. Friz
    13. Barnett
    14. Watson
    15. JSaf
    16. Glasby
    17. Sione/Saulo

Assuming Watson re-signs but Herman leaves.

10. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

1. Ponga. Looked keen in the first 2 games
    2. Lee. O'Brien said we didn't kick to him enough and has already changed that.
    3. Best/Tuala Best may have a hard time displacing Tuala .
    4. Shiba. So far he deserves that centre spot .
    5. Hunt IMO Hunt has been nothing but good for us since we bought him at centre or wing and this season too.
    6. Lino IMO is still the best option we have for 5/8 but Mann played ok .
    7. Pearce. He looked hungry and on song good to see .
    8. Klemmer. He will lead from the front again .
    9. Brailey /Watson if Brailey's not ready .
    10. Dan. Dan needed a bit more aggression and looked to have that this season .
    11. Fitz. I think he is our best back rower and looked good for those 2 games .
    12. Frizell I would have him in the back row running at centre's as much as possible
    13. Barnett Let this hitman play lock and shore up the middle for us .

14. Watson. I wouldn't mind him at hooker , 5/8 or on the bench.
    15. Jacob. I think next year it will be hard to keep him out of the starting side .
    16. Glasby. although nothing flashy I like how dependable he is.
    17. Esse,ese I don't think he will leave and he will be pushing for a starting spot .
    From 8 to 17 that's a hell of a forward pack rotation ...

danknights and Lefty like this.
  11. Lord of the Skraelings

What is it a 6 month lay off minimum for a ACL? No reason if the season kicked off again and went to November why Brailey couldn't play a part.

Your right Ethan, teams will be nervous hoping off the bus to face our forwards!

Reason I'd keep Friz in the middle is just imagine a 3-2-1 punch of Klemmer, Dan and Friz....... We'll be 40 metres + up the middle from them 3 alone.

Ethan likes this.
  12. Rob

Rob Max Chapman

Certainly gives OB some selection headaches. During the trials he seemed to want Barny at 13 but Ese looked good there. Imo though you almost can't leave Barny out for his aggression and knack of finding a try

Ethan likes this.
  13. Billy

A full ACL reconstruction is a year off, and 15 years ago it was 18 months off and maybe never running well again.

I don't think Brailey had a full reconstruction. They are saying he played most of the game with a partial tear and are saying 9 months return, so I'd say they just repaired it.

14. Lord of the Skraelings

Ah okay, well lets hope his right for the preseason than.

15. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Brailey is out for a year, so this situation doesn't matter too much for him, I'm more bummed for all our other players. The way we get better as a team is to play games upon games. This could be a whole year of development stolen from the likes of Ponga, Saifitis, Barnett & all the young fellas. You'd be confident they'd all be better players by the end of the year. And then on the other side of the spectrum, all the old fellas are coming back a year older, Pearce for example, every year we have of him is precious, it's not fun seeing a year of that get wasted. Maybe a positive out of that is a good rest for their bodies.

16. Billy

Now that the lower grades are cancelled, a lot of guys will have no chance to claim a spot in next year's pre season training squad.

Simi Sasagi should be in, but what that guy really needs is to play some football. He might be the best athlete we've had since Uate, but if he never gets to learn how to play football, it's a bit of a waste.

Mitch Black plays hooker and we desperately need some depth at hooker, so he should be in.

Toby Marks got most of this pre season and is still 19 so the winger, centre, fullback should be in.

Dylan Lucas got some time at the end of the pre season, so he must have trained really well, and he is a big centre with good skills, and we need a few of those.

Jaron Purcell is a lock who is like a young Glasby and has been a standout for us and NSW through the grades. A very steady, hardworking and low mistake rate middle forward.

Bayden Searle is there or thereabouts.

Those are the obvious ones, but guys like Christian Ma'amaia, Daniel Ticehurst, Malie-J Townsend, Harry Croker, Cooper Jenkins and probably a few we have not even heard of yet, could have had a breakout year in Flegg and reserve grade to claim a pre season chance, and now they can't.

17. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

Ah well it is what it is , nothing anyone can do about it . We all just have to ride it out , if we don't get any footy till next season so be it.
    At least the older players will get an extra year in there footy career and get over any niggles they might have.
    I was really looking forward to how our forwards would go especially Jacob, i've seen a couple of games where he was better than Daniel but something or other always held him back.
    This season so far he looked fit and playing good footy and to hear the coach say that after the off season he had , he picked himself. Imo as far as Jacob's concerned (watch this space).
    Also Watson , I personally would not have picked him to play anywhere in the forwards other than hooker but I have to admit its not a bad idea.
    I kinda like it Brailey , Watson , Pearce, Mann Lino or whoever at 5/8 Maybe Sasagi , and Ponga all on the field at the same time.
    That's a pretty potent attacking side right there and our forwards are a match for most forward packs in the comp if not all of them , when they are playing well .
    Im almost salivating waiting for it all to start back up again but as I have diminished lung capacity this bloody virus will probably kill me before it starts lol.

member 2299 likes this.
  18. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Good post Ethan.

We seem to be moving away from the incredible hulks at lock to a more mobile player as in past years able to cover on cover defence. That is why for mine Ese'ese will see more time up front as he lumbers a little in defence, particularly on the line.

Ethan likes this.
  19. Billy

Starting side next year

1 Ponga
    2 Toa
    3 Shibasaki
    4 Best
    5 Lee
    6 Crossland
    7 Pearce
    8 Klemmer
    9 Brailey
    10 DSaf
    11 Frizzel
    12 Fitzgibbon
    13 Barnett

14 Tex Hoy
    15 JSaf
    16 Eseese
    17 Sione

Let go of Guerra, Moga, Glasby, Watson, Lino, Mann and King.
    Keep Saulo, Jones, Momoisea, Croker, Randall, Searle, Tuala, but all for around 150k average.

Use the extra money to buy a cheapish hooker, outside back and prop, or 1 real quality outside back.

20. Lord of the Skraelings

Billy did Watson steal your cat or something lol?