Let's be honest its time for our team for 2021!

member 2299

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
After three weeks laid up in hospital with nothing to do but watch and listen to footie calls and discussions came up with following.

Ponga is trying much too hard think as highest paid player he must do everything. This is a 17 man team game.
Our outside backs apart from Best, Hunt and Edrich Lee, whose future must be in doubt after two serious arm fractures, is very shallow and we need at least three centres and a couple of wingers.

Kurt Mann was considered below par by me and others, but you have to give the guy credit he is playing his heart out for the team. He has improved the last few games and only Obi knows how much more improvement is in the guy.
Barnett must play lock and Frizell will improve things greatly but Lachie is not firing and his handling has been poor. Sione has done well, Guerra still has a year in him as a bench player.
Front row stocks are good but we have to keep a hooker on the paddock somehow.

The biggest disappointments to me have been our Broncos recruits. Ese'ese has failed to fire now under Bennett, Brown and Obi and a move to the Titans may be the solution to his game. The last three weeks he had dropped the ball within five metres of the line on no less than four occasions, and last weekends drop after the tackle restart was unforgivable. At times the guy seems a little slow in defence and is his reads of play. Moga I think after all his knee problems is well down on confidence and probably due for retirement.

Last edited:

Still_Nutty

Max Chapman
After three weeks laid up in hospital with nothing to do but watch and listen to footie calls and discussions came up with following.

Ponga is trying much too hard think as highest paid player he must do everything. This is a 17 man team game.
Our outside backs apart from Best, Hunt and Edrich Lee, whose future must be in doubt after two serious arm fractures, is very shallow and we need at least three centres and a couple of wingers.

Kurt Mann was considered below par by me and others, but you have to give the guy credit he is playing his heart out for the team. He has improved the last few games and only Obi knows how much more improvement is in the guy.
Barnett must play lock and Frizell will improve things greatly but Lachie is not firing and his handling has been poor. Sione has done well, Guerra still has a year in him as a bench player.
Front row stocks are good but we have to keep a hooker on the paddock somehow.

The biggest disappointments to me have been our Broncos recruits. Ese'ese has failed to fire now under Bennett, Brown and Obi and a move to the Titans may be the solution to his game. The last three weeks he had dropped the ball within five metres of the line on no less than four occasions, and last weekends drop after the tackle restart was unforgivable. At times the guy seems a little slow in defence and is his reads of play. Moga I think after all his knee problems is well down on confidence and probably due for retirement.
First of all, hope you're on the improve Harry and not spending too much time chasing the nurses around the ward mate :p

On the backs:

• I get what you are saying re Ponga and I think he needs a more defined role by Obi to get him to focus on not trying to do everything....one of the big problems for mine is that he needs to straighten up more in attack - he has a habit of crabbing across field and trying to beat players with his step(a bit like Gagai used to do) which also puts his supports a bit on their heals and makes him easier pickings for decent defensive structures to nullify his impact. I always see him being more effective when he is running more direct (even on angled runs) where he is in motion and sets the defence on their heals which is where his step, speed and deceptive strengthen see him bursting through defensive lines and picking up hole runners
  • I am actually quite happy with Tuala's contribution to the team and at the price we are paying for him, I think he is a solid bargain that holds his spot
  • I'm trying to give Moga the benefit of the doubt because he is coming back from such a long lay off but I don't think his defensive reads, lateral mobility and drive to put in effort on effort are there. I think much of it comes down to inherent traits in Moga, regardless of how long he has spent on the sideline
Forwards:

• Although he's been a better contributor this year in some games, Herman going to the Titans and freeing up his spot is a good thing for us on balance - although a different role and at a different stage of his career he's got the same issues in his game that Moga has and I think will always have those flaws in his game
  • Fitz doesn't seem to have enough diversity or flair in his game (speed, step, offload) to deliver as an edge forward - ….gotta go but might come back and finish a bit more later today

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Fitz played most of his juniors as a prop.
His defence and fitness wasn't good enough for him to be a firstgrade prop with long minutes in him, but I think it is now.
With Frizzel coming, we have too many second rows and not enough props for next year.
Fitz putting on a few kgs and moving to prop would fix both those problems.

krustykraz

Adam Woolnough
First of all, hope you're on the improve Harry and not spending too much time chasing the nurses around the ward mate :p

On the backs:

• I get what you are saying re Ponga and I think he needs a more defined role by Obi to get him to focus on not trying to do everything....one of the big problems for mine is that he needs to straighten up more in attack - he has a habit of crabbing across field and trying to beat players with his step(a bit like Gagai used to do) which also puts his supports a bit on their heals and makes him easier pickings for decent defensive structures to nullify his impact. I always see him being more effective when he is running more direct (even on angled runs) where he is in motion and sets the defence on their heals which is where his step, speed and deceptive strengthen see him bursting through defensive lines and picking up hole runners
  • I am actually quite happy with Tuala's contribution to the team and at the price we are paying for him, I think he is a solid bargain that holds his spot
  • I'm trying to give Moga the benefit of the doubt because he is coming back from such a long lay off but I don't think his defensive reads, lateral mobility and drive to put in effort on effort are there. I think much of it comes down to inherent traits in Moga, regardless of how long he has spent on the sideline
Forwards:

• Although he's been a better contributor this year in some games, Herman going to the Titans and freeing up his spot is a good thing for us on balance - although a different role and at a different stage of his career he's got the same issues in his game that Moga has and I think will always have those flaws in his game
  • Fitz doesn't seem to have enough diversity or flair in his game (speed, step, offload) to deliver as an edge forward - ….gotta go but might come back and finish a bit more later today
Re: Ponga
In the first 2 rounds pre-covid break IMO Ponga was very effective in attack when he stood behind every play the ball and just followed the ball waiting for an offload.
Not sure why we moved away from that post covid break.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Just looked up Sam McIntyre's profile.
He is off contract this year.
Wests are using him as a bench prop this game. I suspect it's the first time the guy who played wing in our under 16s and centre in under 18s has played prop, but he just did a 48 minute spell, scored a try, and is topping the fantasy points for Wests.
He was a team mate of Jones and Saulo in our juniors.
His 6th game of firstgrade tonight and he's going from strength to strength.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
1 Kayln Ponga
2 Hymel Hunt
3 Enari Tuala
4 Bradman Best
5 Edrick Lee
6 Kurt Mann
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 David Klemmer
9 Jayden Brailey
10 Daniel Saifiti
11 Tyson Frizzel
12 Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13 Mitch Barnett

14 Tex Hoy
15 Jacob Saifiti
16 Sione Mata'utia
17 Pasami Saulo

other signed players

18 Starford To'a
19 Jirah Momoisea
20 Pheonix Crossland
21 Shibasaki
22 Christian Ma'anaima

off contract

Aidan Guerra
Brodie Jones
Josh King
Mason Lino
Andrew McCullough (has a year at Broncos if he wants)
Tautau Moga
Connor Watson
Chris Randall
Matt Croker
Luke Huth
Simi Sasagi (has 2 year option)
Tyronne Robert-Davis

Leaving the club

Herman Eseese
Tim Glasby

So we have 8 fulltime spots and 4 development spots to fill for 2021.

Ethan

Adam MacDougall
I just read that Foran might come here for the same money he said no to with the Dogs to play with his good mate Pearce . Also that a multi year deal might get us over the tigers who are interested in a one year deal.
IMO at one time he was the best 5/8 in the world and is still a talent but as we all know injuries have been a problem for him.. A fit Foran next to Pearce With Ponga behind and Brailey in front would be Mouth watering . But would he stay fit ...
1 Kayln Ponga
2 Hymel Hunt
3 Enari Tuala
4 Bradman Best
5 Edrick Lee
6 Kieran Foran
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 David Klemmer
9 Jayden Brailey
10 Daniel Saifiti
11 Tyson Frizzel
12 Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13 Mitch Barnett

14 Watson /Mann / Hoy
15 Jacob Saifiti
16 Jirah Momoisea
17 Pasami Saulo

Lefty

Clint Newton
I just read that Foran might come here for the same money he said no to with the Dogs to play with his good mate Pearce . Also that a multi year deal might get us over the tigers who are interested in a one year deal.
IMO at one time he was the best 5/8 in the world and is still a talent but as we all know injuries have been a problem for him.. A fit Foran next to Pearce With Ponga behind and Brailey in front would be Mouth watering . But would he stay fit ...
1 Kayln Ponga
2 Hymel Hunt
3 Enari Tuala
4 Bradman Best
5 Edrick Lee
6 Kieran Foran
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 David Klemmer
9 Jayden Brailey
10 Daniel Saifiti
11 Tyson Frizzel
12 Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13 Mitch Barnett

14 Watson /Mann / Hoy
15 Jacob Saifiti
16 Jirah Momoisea
17 Pasami Saulo

Alex McKinnon has said that Foran will not be coming to the Knights.

member 2299

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Annoying to see guys we had here, particularly Ramien and Naden, released and firing, whilst we are stuck with TRD and similar.

relicorange94

Josh Perry
Oliver Gildart from Wigan wants a go at the NRL maybe we should sign him up as he and Best would make a great Centre combo unlike the last Centre we signed which was Joe Wardle.

Ethan

Adam MacDougall
Oliver Gildart from Wigan wants a go at the NRL maybe we should sign him up as he and Best would make a great Centre combo unlike the last Centre we signed which was Joe Wardle.
Id be happy with Best and Hunt as our centre's besides would we have the money to buy an international to play centre .

packo

:) (:
So 7 games left and all winnable games. we have majority of them at home too. Fingers crossed we have no more injuries. This is our best chance to make the 8 we’ve had in a while.

Hopefully Dan is back early. Ball is in our court now.