Joseph Leilua released by the Knights

To be fair Kennedy had the ****s with the place and got offered huge money by manly

No, he wanted to stay here, but we told him we didn't have the money under the cap to make him an offer.

He had been injury affected for a couple of years at the time, admittedly, and only had a couple of years left.

The reason we didn't have the money for him was we were upgrading Tahu's contract, pretty much choosing him over Kennedy.

Unfortunately we didn't actually sign Tahu before telling Kennedy he wasn't wanted, Tahu then signed with Parra and we ended up with nobody ... and decided to throw the chequebook at Kirk Reynoldson ... presumably coz he had a cool beard.

He shaved when he came to the Knights. :(
 
Warren Ryan put together a wonderful squad headed by one Andrew Johns, that hagan inherited. The side got progressively worse with hagan at the helm.
This is exactly what happened. 2001 and 2002 were the best teams we have had at this club in my opinion. But we just started to slump about mid 2002 and got worse and worse under Hagan. I don't think many people that watched every game during this time would disagree Ethan. We under achieved with that team.. it was a world beater.
 
He won a grandfinal and even with a great team its very hard to win more than one G/F in a row and that team could have been better , Rudder was a makeshift 5/8 who was,nt very good (though he did play his best ever game that day) . They were good but they weren't world beaters and without 1 player Andrew Johns they wouldn't have won a thing...... without him they were ordinary.
 
Ordinary? The team was chock full of legit rep players. It would beat our current side by 80.

Buderus
Mad Dog
Matt Gidley
Tahu
Robbie O
Simpson
Kennedy

Any of them would be our best player at the moment.
 
They still should have been about 20 up at halftime against the eventual premiers the Roosters in the finals in 02 (without Joey) but Tahu blew about four tries.

Still would've won if Fitzgibbon hadn't chased down Rudder, I reckon.
 
And if you guys were students of the game would realize the one we missed was 2000 when we threw away a good lead in the Prelim v the chooks. Only time ever saw freddie actually run to get an intercept and sprint 70 metres was in that game. We had thrashed the Broncs at the opening of the new Suncorp and they were in fear of us making the GF.
 
And if you guys were students of the game would realize the one we missed was 2000 when we threw away a good lead in the Prelim v the chooks. Only time ever saw freddie actually run to get an intercept and sprint 70 metres was in that game. We had thrashed the Broncs at the opening of the new Suncorp and they were in fear of us making the GF.

I remember that game, I was at the pub watching and was pumped. At the end, it would have been more comfortable to have had my heart torn out & kicked across the room I imagine
 
Lol remember Joey's hurl of the mouth guard after freddie's try! Proving Wazza's team underachieved and Hages had a walk up start with Joey and Matt Gidley leading the backs, Ben Kennedy, Bedsy and Butts leading from the front.

Often James I think some of our members could not have even been born then reading some of the posts.
 
Heh, young whipper snappers.

Hagan wasn't helped by the club being run on the smell of an oily tag at the time, but I think he's proven it was no fluke in his stints at Parra and back here.

And besides, Mal Reilly and Warren Ryan were able to recruit super-successfully right before his stint.

Imagine the club making a tough call akin to not offering Matthew Johns a new contract these days! Would never happen in a million years. Yet it allowed us to keep Joey and win the comp in 2001.

Even letting Owen Craigie go because he was too out of shape would never happen now.

That rot began with Hagan, simple as that.
 
We let joey go coz he's outta shape lazy and mentally not tough......

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk
 
I play sport. I'd always rather the give it everything mentally tough guy with little talent than the over skilled weak minded guy. I know whom will be there for me

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk
 
I play sport. I'd always rather the give it everything mentally tough guy with little talent than the over skilled weak minded guy. I know whom will be there for me

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Sorry I thought you meant joey as in John's. I was playing around

But I totally agree with your comment
 
Back
Top