Joseph Leilua released by the Knights

I agree having someone within the group with a terrible attitude would be ordinary BUT am I the only that thinks it's just as ordinary Stone kept selecting him at the expense of a more willing participant ? What message does that send ? I've defended Leilua many times but as far as I'm concerned the only negative aspect of him leaving is that there's not a couple more in the cab with him.
 
Stone on Leilua's departure

Mon 15th June, 12:41PM

Newcastle Knights Coach Rick Stone addressed the media following the Club’s announcement centre Joey Leilua had departed the Club.

After requesting a release from his contract midway through last month, both parties agreed to an immediate release on Monday.

“We haven’t had a lot of trouble with Joey, but he’s obviously been a little bit unsettled since he got here at the start of January,”
Stone said on Monday morning.

“The bottom line I suppose is he doesn’t want to play for us anymore.

“I don’t want anyone who doesn’t want to play for us, so we’ve released him and we’ve moved on.

“Joey is going to go play where has to play and we have to get on with our work.

"I suppose culturally we’ve made a decision and we’ve made a bit of a stand for what we think is expectable at our place.

“I know it’s hard one to pull the trigger on as possibly it mightn’t make our team any better.

“It’s one we think for the long run will be better for our Club.”

Stone explained discussions with Leilua had been ongoing since the agreement was made on an early contract release.

“I have an open relationship with Joey and we’ve been talking since the whole event,” he said.

“It’s disappointing because I know everyone at this particular Club has worked with Joey since his return from the Four Nations in January.

“At the end of the day there have been plenty of people who have gone out of their way to try to help him and make his job at the Knights a little bit easier.

“He’s decided his footy is elsewhere…and has decided that’s best for him and we think it’s best for everyone to part ways and move on."

Leilua spoke to the playing group on Monday morning before he parted ways with the Club.

“It’s decent of Joey to lob up in person…to his credit he’s showed up today and spoke to the boys in person,” Stone said.

Meanwhile, Stone and the Knights' football department are exploring recruitment options before the June 30 mid-season player transfer deadline.

“We will have a look at our options of where we are going to go there…and are working through a number of possibilities,” he said.

“There are some pros and cons with all those particular deals mid-year.

“Myself, Matt Gidley and Michael Hagan have been working through some scenarios there.

“Some with Canberra and some with other Clubs, trying to come up with the right scenario to fit the Club.

“The one thing we’ve all agreed on is not to panic and buy someone that we don’t think will make our team any better right now and will end up with for a longer term.

“That’s a hard one for everyone to understand.

“There are still some possibilities, today onwards."

Stone also believes the return of players from injury will add additional depth in the short-term.

“Hopefully we can get Tyrone (Roberts) back and Gidley can go back and play fullback and Gags (Gagai) can go back in the centres,” he said.

The Knights returned to the training track on Monday following the bye weekend and will take on the Cronulla Sharks this Sunday at Hunter Stadium.


http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2015/06/15/stone_on_leilua_s_de.html




 
Yayyy just what everyone wanted to hear Gidley to Fullback and Tyrone back into Half. Gonna be a strong end to the season now
 
Ahahahahah. Stone is a joke. He really thinks Tyrone is the answer. Oh well, so much for 2016. Nathan Brown will have more of a clue you would think.
 
I just can't even...

Gagai has been tremendous at fullback...

Gidley hasn't been half as bad as I expected at halfback...

Roberts isn't up to NRL standard and never will be...

I hate this club so much right now.
 
Canberra forwards David Shillington and Mark Nicholls are reportedly involved in the discussions on a swap deal.

"Nothing's been finalised as yet, but we've spoken about a couple of options," Stone said.

"Both clubs have struggled to agree with at this point in time.

"I would suggest if we can't do it within the next week or so, then it's not going to happen."
http://www.nrl.com/knights-take-stand-release-leilua/tabid/10874/newsid/87056/default.aspx

It seems like it's only Canberra we're talking to for a swap and if we can't make a deal within a week then we get no one.

I guarantee we'll sign Nicholls on a 5 year 450k contract though with an option in his favour for a 6th year.
 
Hate to say told you so but I was so against stone getting the job and others on here laughed and said we need to go with a local.
 
It's seems that neither Stone, Gidley or Hagan have the necessary skills to get the job done, whatever that job is. Skill in negotiating and a savvy business sense is something that should be second hand to a CEO. They're supposed to be someone that has seen it all in business and can adapt from portfolio to portfolio. Gidley is a proper chump who's probably never worked behind a desk let alone ever had any experience in high end business. If I were a competing Club or player manager I would be licking my lips at the prospect of dealing with him

Then there's Stone and Hagan, frankly, both are benefactors of circumstance but failures as coaches in the NRL nonetheless

Not only does our footy team suck, our administration team is even worse!
 
It's seems that neither Stone, Gidley or Hagan have the necessary skills to get the job done, whatever that job is. Skill in negotiating and a savvy business sense is something that should be second hand to a CEO. They're supposed to be someone that has seen it all in business and can adapt from portfolio to portfolio. Gidley is a proper chump who's probably never worked behind a desk let alone ever had any experience in high end business. If I were a competing Club or player manager I would be licking my lips at the prospect of dealing with him

Then there's Stone and Hagan, frankly, both are benefactors of circumstance but failures as coaches in the NRL nonetheless

Not only does our footy team suck, our administration team is even worse!

Maybe you should be our ceo
 
Bro

- - - Updated - - -

My first signing would be a new coach

- - - Updated - - -

Then I'd sign Hodkinson on peanuts to direct the team. He's a man without a club if I've ever seen one. And there doesn't seem to be many clubs in need of a half, except for us and the titans of course
 
Bro

- - - Updated - - -

My first signing would be a new coach

- - - Updated - - -

Then I'd sign Hodkinson on peanuts to direct the team. He's a man without a club if I've ever seen one. And there doesn't seem to be many clubs in need of a half, except for us and the titans of course
The Titans and a couple of Super league clubs have already offered him big money. So what's plan B?
 
Lol anyone who pays 800 per year for Hodkinson is purchasing their own demise

Gentleman. Neither Maloney or Hodkinson want to relocate their family overseas, especially when there's a coastal city an couple hours from Sydney who requires their services

We are in competition with the Titans, and we have two options. If we don't get Hodkinson, then we throw the other 500k at Maloney - 2 year deal

Maloney particularly is a journeyman, I like our odds
 
Hodkinson is average at best and no way would be worth the money he'll be demanding. I personally think his form this year is related to a knee problem he's had, so I'd stay well clear of him.

You'd get just as much out of an organizing half plucked from NSW Cup at the moment.

I'd prefer Maloney.
 
Bro

- - - Updated - - -

My first signing would be a new coach

- - - Updated - - -

Then I'd sign Hodkinson on peanuts to direct the team. He's a man without a club if I've ever seen one. And there doesn't seem to be many clubs in need of a half, except for us and the titans of course

Peanuts? Dude his gonna get $700k plus.
 
Back
Top