Idris leaves Bulldogs for Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right and yes I do realise that. Kinda got off topic there.

The point I was trying to make in the first place was you don't pass up signing Idris just because you have Likiliki. I did use the term top 25 but wasn't necessarily referring to player contracts. Bad choice of wording I guess. I was just meaning Likiliki would be considered a fringe FG player (not because he's not good enough mind you, but because he's a young developing player).

Speaking of contracts though, it would be interesting to see Henry's contract and Likiliki's contract in comparison. Same goes with some of the fringe FG players like Karawana, Ciraldo, Lulia, Edwards, Mika, Southern, etc.
 
I reckon all those 6 guys mentioned would be surprising to be on 6 figures. However maybe Southern is on a bit more. Apparently we got Likiliki cheap (heard on here), but I woudnt be surprised if we paid a bit of overs for Henry because hes a halves person and ODonnell because Stone really wanted him here. Which I dont mind also.
 
I reckon all those 6 guys mentioned would be surprising to be on 6 figures. However maybe Southern is on a bit more. Apparently we got Likiliki cheap (heard on here), but I woudnt be surprised if we paid a bit of overs for Henry because hes a halves person and ODonnell because Stone really wanted him here. Which I dont mind also.

We paid 87,500 for henry for three years
 
Last edited:
Apparently we got Likiliki cheap (heard on here)

Would be great if we did considering he was arguably the best centre in NYC last year. I have no idea how much he's on but someone on here was complaining because we paid overs for him, but I'm guessing said poster had no idea and just wanted to have a whinge.

We paid 87,500 for henry for three years

I'm not sure what the budding superstars of NYC were signing for but that sounds like a good deal for us seeing as though he was the Toyota Cup player of the year two seasons ago and considering he's regarded as one of the top up and coming players to watch out for.
 
he wouldnt sign a 3 year deal worth 87500 :lol:

Look at Hodkinson, 1 breakout year and he is worth 250k+.

Henry has a more wraps on him then Hodkinson (although Hodkinson had the benifit of playing QLD cup for a season, which seems to be the best way at getting players NRL ready).

It may be a 80-100k base salary, but I'm guessing its got heavy incentives in it. And if he reaches those targets the 2nd and 3rd year of his contract will be richer.
 
I guess its better then having no decent halves to fallback to, but even if its around the 100k mark or less give or take with incentives, its still a good investment
Manly were fortunate to have DCE, and the Dogs needed a direct replacement for Noddy so I guess they had to do what they had to do.
 
he wouldnt sign a 3 year deal worth 87500 :lol:

Look at Hodkinson, 1 breakout year and he is worth 250k+.

Henry has a more wraps on him then Hodkinson (although Hodkinson had the benifit of playing QLD cup for a season, which seems to be the best way at getting players NRL ready).

It may be a 80-100k base salary, but I'm guessing its got heavy incentives in it. And if he reaches those targets the 2nd and 3rd year of his contract will be richer.

Just regurgitating info from last weeks Daily Telegraph. It was in one of those "Super coach" captions

The difference between Hodgkinson & Henry is that Hodkinson was 22 when he went to Manly and was a proven performer in higher grades than NYC..

Henry was 19\20 & had only played against other kids

I will find all you sceptics the info
 
Just regurgitating info from last weeks Daily Telegraph. It was in one of those "Super coach" captions

The difference between Hodgkinson & Henry is that Hodkinson was 22 when he went to Manly and was a proven performer in higher grades than NYC..

Henry was 19\20 & had only played against other kids

I will find all you sceptics the info

Those supercoach captions are what they cost in Supercoach :lol:

Just a misunderstanding haha.
 
I took it as a base salary of $87,500 per year for 3 seasons, not a total of $87,500 over 3 seasons, meaning he's earning $29,166 per year which is indeed laughable.

I'm not sure what the market is for budding superstars fresh out of NYC, but $87,500 per season sounds fairly accurate IMO, especially when you consider the fact that the contract would most certainly be incentive ridden meaning he could potentially earn much more then that.
 
Would be great if we did considering he was arguably the best centre in NYC last year. I have no idea how much he's on but someone on here was complaining because we paid overs for him, but I'm guessing said poster had no idea and just wanted to have a whinge.


no not a whinge its been well stated by officials at the knights that we couldnt attract superstars so we did the next best thing and paid overs for argueably the 3 best toyota cup players... the teams they all left wanted to keep them but couldnt match the knights offer.... i was sure this was common knowledge....
 
So because Newcastle generally have trouble attracting big name players, you're assuming we paid overs for Henry, Likiliki, and O'Donnell?
 
We didnt pay overs for Sau, Hilder, Fa'aso, Taia, Housten...

Those guys were players looking for a go. Similar to Likiliki, Henry and KOD. You cant put a price tag on playing the NRL. Something Henry couldnt do at the Dragons, KOD wouldnt be able to do in a fullstrength Sharks pack, and something that Likiliki saw unlikely with the warriors paying massive money for Inu, whilst still having Moon/Ropati.

In saying that though, they'd be on decent contracts for rookies, but its because they earnt it by being stars in the NYC. Not because we are paying overs for them.
 
We didnt pay overs for Sau, Hilder, Fa'aso, Taia, Housten...

Those guys were players looking for a go. Similar to Likiliki, Henry and KOD. You cant put a price tag on playing the NRL. Something Henry couldnt do at the Dragons, KOD wouldnt be able to do in a fullstrength Sharks pack, and something that Likiliki saw unlikely with the warriors paying massive money for Inu, whilst still having Moon/Ropati.

In saying that though, they'd be on decent contracts for rookies, but its because they earnt it by being stars in the NYC. Not because we are paying overs for them.

Pretty much, but IIRC, the season prior to signing Hilder he was the Titans starting five-eight for the majority of the year, and Houston was starting in the second row for the Dragons, but I do agree with your post. As for the other two, Sau wasn't getting a run with the Raiders and Fa'aoso was coming off a stint in the ESL.
 
Pretty much, but IIRC, the season prior to signing Hilder he was the Titans starting five-eight for the majority of the year, and Houston was starting in the second row for the Dragons, but I do agree with your post. As for the other two, Sau wasn't getting a run with the Raiders and Fa'aoso was coming off a stint in the ESL.

Yeh Hilder was starting 5/8 for the majority, but might have rathered a go at hooker/lock. Also, I'd say the Titans werent to interested in resigning him. Either way he has most definately outperformed whatever contract he was given.

Housten played a fair few games, and had some pretty big wraps on him around the league. iirc, after he signed with us he didnt get too much of a run in the NRL, so was expendable. Like hilder, he has outperformed the contract he was given (probably around the 200k mark). Except for the whole drugs scandal. could have done without that.
 
Yeah Smith saw utility value in Hilder in the forwards and it was a good buy, he prob is on less then 200k. Though like with the Titans he could play 5/8 or a pinch at centre, but most of our backrow like Houstin, Taia and Patterson can play centre too even.
Sau I remember we paid some ridiculously cheap amount like $10k-$30k?
 
Read in I think it was yesterdays paper that Juniour Sau wants to resign for us if he can IMO would rather have Juniour resign than pick up Idris
 
Me too.

Sau was exceptional yesterday and will come at about 2/3 of the cost Idris will.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top