Dane Gagai discussion

I think he always wanted to come back here to finish his career off. Always talked highly of the place and his family was living here at least while he was still at Souths. Just happens some of his best years have come towards the end so it'll be interesting to see if the open market tempts him to go for one last big paycheck or if he's content to wind down here.

It will be interesting to see how much Dave would get on the open market. The top tier centres in the games are earning 700k+. Based on just performances I would say he is performing better than quite a few of them. The thing counting against him is his age but he appears to be getting better as he age. I’m sure a lot of teams would take him for $300-400k a year which is very good value if he continues to perform.
 
In one of his interviews he said he came back to Newcastle because his wife so I’m assuming she has family and probably won’t be moving again
 
I'm glad his back but he is on a steady decline. Poor guy is buggered fitness wise, if the plan is to keep him around to mentor then I'm all for it. Ultimate professional in that aspect.
 
One-year deal option year two. Similar to Frizz. Anyway in the 3 - 400K mark. he's playing well now but only takes a couple of injuries. E.g Frizz with hamstring. I know he hasn't missed much but as they age would be more prone to injury you think.
 
In one of his interviews he said he came back to Newcastle because his wife so I’m assuming she has family and probably won’t be moving again
They have 2 children, but I understand she stayed in Newcastle when he played for Souths.
 
Schiller as an athlete is like a quicker Shaun Kenny Dowall but as a player he definitely could use a mentor.
 
I'm glad his back but he is on a steady decline. Poor guy is buggered fitness wise, if the plan is to keep him around to mentor then I'm all for it. Ultimate professional in that aspect.
He still goes as hard as he can for as long as he can and does it well....but he can't maintain it for 80 minutes anymore.

In the last 10-15 yesterday, he was really struggling at stages to manage the defensive effort to keep turning back a Dolphins squad that lifted in intensity - not a criticism, because he was one of the best on field but you can tell that the body just can't keep doing what the mind asks of it anymore when it comes to the effort on effort plays
 
Gags is a pro, sure has had some defensive slips but he will be close to 300 games at season end so another season would suit him I am sure.
Contract $ well if he is on say $600k now and we pay him say $350k then we are $250k better off, same goes with Friz meaning we could have both with $500k for other contract negotiations
 
He still goes as hard as he can for as long as he can and does it well....but he can't maintain it for 80 minutes anymore.

In the last 10-15 yesterday, he was really struggling at stages to manage the defensive effort to keep turning back a Dolphins squad that lifted in intensity - not a criticism, because he was one of the best on field but you can tell that the body just can't keep doing what the mind asks of it anymore when it comes to the effort on effort plays
Yeah great write up on what I was trying to say but couldn't be bothered writing haha. You can't be critical of anything he is currently doing. He is turning up with a great attitude and putting in maximum effort which is all we can ask from him right now.
 
Need some of our other guys to step up a bit. Schiller will help and I think if Gags stays on he goes to the right wing to mentor him. 10 or so fewer tackles to make per game should help him. Gags can bark at the young buck to make him be the guy who leads the kick chase, flies in to shut stuff down, etc.
 
That is part of the secret of the Roosters always having a ridiculous roster. Always a job at the club waiting for guys when they retire (which they will do when convenient for the Roosters & without going to another NRL club even if they still have a bit left in the tank).

I’ve heard enough players rave about what they’ve learned from Dane (at Souths too) that he’s absolutely someone we want to keep around, as some sort of consultant backline coach.
 
Back
Top