2022-2023 Summer of Cricket

Because he spins the in the opposite direction to Lyon and he can bat. The selectors are looking towards the Indian tour.

Swepson did not perform as well as the selectors would have liked when he last played for Australia.
I understand the rationale I guess, just seems like big braining it. Especially if you’re gonna give heaps of overs to Head anyway. And yeah Agar can bat a bit, but a genuine strike weapon, an elite wicket taker, is simply more valuable than a bits-and-pieces player.

Personally I think if you’re picking multiple spinners, worrying too much about the direction of the spin is overthinking it. By that logic if we had another bowler like Pat Cummins, we shouldn’t pick him because we already have Pat. On top of that IMO there’s more difference between spinners of the same type than there is between fast bowlers, due to variations in how much flight, how many RPM’s etc different players will put on the ball; whether or not they can bowl certain deliveries, etc.

Just pick the best players you have. Todd Murphy over Agar all day for mine.
 
I understand the rationale I guess, just seems like big braining it. Especially if you’re gonna give heaps of overs to Head anyway. And yeah Agar can bat a bit, but a genuine strike weapon, an elite wicket taker, is simply more valuable than a bits-and-pieces player.

Personally I think if you’re picking multiple spinners, worrying too much about the direction of the spin is overthinking it. By that logic if we had another bowler like Pat Cummins, we shouldn’t pick him because we already have Pat. On top of that IMO there’s more difference between spinners of the same type than there is between fast bowlers, due to variations in how much flight, how many RPM’s etc different players will put on the ball; whether or not they can bowl certain deliveries, etc.

Just pick the best players you have. Todd Murphy over Agar all day for mine.
I think the selectors are trying to develop a second spinner because there is not an outstanding spinner to pick at present. They will need a second spinner for the Indian tour.

Sometimes the selectors have to select a player and give them quite a few test matches for them to establish themselves. Richie Benaud and Steve Waugh are examples of this.
 
Cant help but feel bad for Usman.
Would have loved to have seen him get his first 200. Another half hour and he would have either got it or got out.
Australia unlikely to win anyway.
 
Cricket Australia need to break with tradition a move the Sydney test to a different time of the year. It could be the first test of the season instead of Brisbane. We consistently get rain in Sydney at this time of the year. Rain keeps spoiling the Sydney test match.
 
I think the selectors are trying to develop a second spinner because there is not an outstanding spinner to pick at present. They will need a second spinner for the Indian tour.

Sometimes the selectors have to select a player and give them quite a few test matches for them to establish themselves. Richie Benaud and Steve Waugh are examples of this.
I know it’s a small sample size, but Todd Murphy has 29 wickets in 7 first class matches at an average of 25.
 
I'm pretty sure Todd Murphy is in the selectors minds for India.

I do think though that they overthinked selections for this test and got it wrong.

Carey could easily move up to 6, they didn't need Renshaw and should have picked a fifth bowling option.
 
I know it’s a small sample size, but Todd Murphy has 29 wickets in 7 first class matches at an average of 25.
Todd Murphy is regarded as a very good prospect but he is an off spinner and would not add much in the way of variety to the attack.

He may end up being a good successor to Lyon.
 
I'm pretty sure Todd Murphy is in the selectors minds for India.

I do think though that they overthinked selections for this test and got it wrong.

Carey could easily move up to 6, they didn't need Renshaw and should have picked a fifth bowling option.
I think the selectors got it wrong by not picking a fifth bowler. The side they selected lacks balance. Boland or another fast bowler would have been very useful today.
 
I'll also say that if they picked Agar because it goes the other way, I would have rather them have a throw at the stumps and give Zampa a go with the red ball.
 
I would like to see Zampa given an opportunity at test level.

I think Agar will not be picked for India after his performance in this game.
 
I would like to see Zampa given an opportunity at test level.

I think Agar will not be picked for India after his performance in this game.
They can't pick Agar after that. Head and Labuschange looked more likely to get blokes out.
 
Australia has selected 4 spinners to tour India, Lyon, Agar, Swepson and Todd Murphy. Lance Morris, Matt Renshaw and Peter Handscomb have also been selected.

It will be excellent experience for Murphy and Morris to tour India. Murphy would have to be a good chance to make his test debut.

 
That would be really cool, but you'd think maybe 20-25k might be a better capacity, to allow the odd Big Bash or even international vs lesser nations games to be played there, or World Cup games between non-Australian nations.
 
The photo doesn't show any extra carpark space.
I'd have thought some of that trotting track ground could have been used for extra parking - not that the cricket needs it, but the Knights could use a few hundred more.
It also shows lawn where the big stables are now. That stables is an impressively large shed that could be converted into all sorts of things - worlds biggest gym - indoor training facility - even half a dozen indoor cricket courts. Knocking it down seems a waste.
 
Back
Top