2020 Top 30 Squad

If Brailey's out I guess Randall steps up to start and Mann goes to 14 as a utility , Watson stays at 6 .
Can Randall play more than just hooker Billy if he is the 14 ( legit question as I have no idea ).

Mann may yet step up and claim the 6 if so does Watson start at 9 and Randall at 14 or the other way around .
Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Lino starts earlier than expected he's a tough little guy and he is talented he's tough strong and a good D coach could make anything out of him . He may not even be a bad 9 one day .

Lino 6, Brailey 9 , Watson 14 , although I have to say that I don't like not having Watson on the field for the full 80 and especially at the start of the game .
1Ponga 6 Watson 7 Pearce 9 Brailey 14 Mann
1Ponga 6 Watson 7 Pearce 9 Brailey 14 Randall
1Ponga 6 Crossland 7 Pearce 9 Brailey 14 Watson
1Ponga 6 Watson 7 Pearce 9 Brailey 14 Crossland
1Ponga 6 Crossland 7 Pearce 9 Watson 14 Brailey/Lino
1Ponga 6 Lino 7 Pearce 9 Brailey 14 Watson
1Ponga 6 Watson 7 Pearce 9 Brailey 14 Lino
1Ponga 6 Mann /Lino 7 Pearce 9 Brailey 14 Watson
If the new coach can get them playing to there abillites then they all look like a spine that will win games so there's a bit of work to be done right there, to see who starts where round 1.
With the little information I have right now my starting spine would be ...1Ponga 6 Watson 7 Pearce 9 Brailey 14 Mann or Randall..
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...nally-at-peace-with-super-sub-status/?cs=2503
Judging from this article it sounds like Watson will start at 14, not 6.
But who knows.

Brailey may be getting called a 80min hooker but no guarantees on that, HIA and or injury could put him out like every other player so our bench requires cover for that. If playing Watson at 14 it might require playing Brailey less than 80 even if he is uninsured. Watson’s 20mins fresh might be better than Bradley’s tired 20.
I don’t follow every team but has Brailey regularly played 80 a game, not many do.

This article says that there is 3 spots left and only around $400,000 left in the cap.
Looking at getting atleast 1 more outside back.
It mentions Randall, Soper-lawler and Robberts-Davis could be rewarded with a contract with an impressive pre-season.

If Levi leaves that's $750,000 and 4 spots to fill.
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...g-any-new-big-name-recruits-for-2020/?cs=2503
Heard Obi interviewed on the BSB this morning and he clearly flagged an outside back (besides Tuala and the trial and train guys) but stated that he is not looking to fill the other 2 spots at present and will see what unfolds as the year progresses....

I think that is for 2 reasons:

• He is giving the existing players the opportunity to step up and show their wares - again that messaging that we have a squad he is comfortable with making good inroads into next season and giving them the opportunity to prove it, and
  • with the limited cap space this year meaning we can't chase big name players, he is not raising expectations about any new buys...that also gives him some flexibility and time to see what happens into next season without being tied to any particular strategy around recruitment.
He seems to be pretty clear on where he wants to go in 2020 but he is not talking anything up - his approach is clearly about establishing his cultural expectations as his primary goal, give everybody the opportunity to buy in and build on that base for the next 12 months.

I like his intent and I am intrigued to see his approach on driving this cultural change - I get the impression he will be very strong, effective and consistent in his messaging and if he can get them all buying in, we should have a good platform for establishing a base line of consistency in competing and a capacity to be improving as the year progresses...whether that equates to wins will also rely on his ability to develop and implement tactical game plans and adapt in the heat of battle - something that was probably one of Brown's biggest flaws

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...nally-at-peace-with-super-sub-status/?cs=2503
Judging from this article it sounds like Watson will start at 14, not 6.
But who knows.

During the interview he also clearly reflected his interest in Crossland as a talent at 5/8 (and re-affirmed the capacity of Best and Toa to be well in the mix for back positions)….maybe the use of Watson as the guaranteed 14 means Crossland can be eased a bit more into the 6 role with spells during the game if needed, until he gets comfortable in first grade?

Last edited:
Tex Hoy is the one who I am surprized hasn’t been getting much attention.
I’d have thought O’Brien would have seen as much potential in him as Crossland, and he was player of the year in reserve grade.
Hoy staying as a development player and 5 or 6 guys the same age or younger getting a top 30 contact can only be explained by hom many potential fullback we have.

Brailey may be getting called a 80min hooker but no guarantees on that, HIA and or injury could put him out like every other player so our bench requires cover for that. If playing Watson at 14 it might require playing Brailey less than 80 even if he is uninsured. Watson’s 20mins fresh might be better than Bradley’s tired 20.
I don’t follow every team but has Brailey regularly played 80 a game, not many do.
Averaged a tick over 60 minutes this year.

Tex Hoy is the one who I am surprized hasn’t been getting much attention.
I’d have thought O’Brien would have seen as much potential in him as Crossland, and he was player of the year in reserve grade.
Hoy staying as a development player and 5 or 6 guys the same age or younger getting a top 30 contact can only be explained by hom many potential fullback we have.
There are still two places up for grabs, he may still get an upgrade to one of those, especially if Obi thinks he could handle centre or wing as well. How do you think he compares with Meeney? For mine, not as big a motor, nearly as fast, but a lot more football smarts and creativity.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Danny Weidler

"Hearing Manly have signed PNG utility player Edwin Ipape as a hooker option with Manase Fainu facing an uncertain future. He’s the player who scored a cracking try against Great Britain last weekend."

So Levi might be staying then!

No, wasn't mentioned in the interview...read into that what you will

I like lino. My guess is if he wasn't injured he would be starting 5/8 but that he is one of the players who will probably be cleared out (lino, Levi, moga, mann, maybe ese ese) to sign someone better. I.e. instead of having 6 players on 350k having 4 on 150k and 2 frings SOO players on 600k etc. By the time he's recovered maybe not even worth worrying about for next year.

I expect Moga to either have the best season of his life, or die trying.
He has no contract after next year, and no one knocking the door down to sign him.
He was barely trying in reserve grade this year, but even so, you could see he was the most talented guy on the field any time he wanted to be.
Now that he is as injury free as he could ever hope to be, given his history, I expect him to train his heart out and try his best to earn a 500k contract with either us or someone else.
I'll be surprized if he isn't one of our best to start the season if he remains injury free.

He has no contract after next year, and no one knocking the door down to sign him.
He was barely trying in reserve grade this year, but even so, you could see he was the most talented guy on the field any time he wanted to be.
Now that he is as injury free as he could ever hope to be, given his history, I expect him to train his heart out and try his best to earn a 500k contract with either us or someone else.
I'll be surprized if he isn't one of our best to start the season if he remains injury free.
It would be incredibly handy if he was. He would have to be in some sort of form for me to want him to be resigned though. My hope is Tuala reacts to the kick up the bum he just got from the cowboys and realises his potential with us over the next few years.

Yeah I said the same thing a little while back it will really surprise me if he doesn't have a blinder of a season and then probably sign a big contract in England .

If he’s still without a club, then Super League might be the only option.
After hearing that I was thinking the same thing but haven't heard about any other clubs interested even super league sides that are interested .
Who's playing hooker for the Warriors now .

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...making-his-nrl-debut-for-the-knights/?cs=7580

Another article about Brodie Jones, saying he wants to be at Newcastle etc.

Odd quote in it by Glasby saying Jones is a "no frills" backrower with a good work ethic.

I think he must have never seen Jones play.

Jones has always been a big try scorer and has always had a lot of skills for a forward.

In 40 games of reserve grade since he was 18 he has 9 tries, 9 line breaks and 4 try assists, which is a lot for a forward, especially since he played short minutes off the bench for probably 20 of those games.

They have added Huth and Sasagi to the senior squad profiles.
Sasagi is listed as 18, born april 2001, so just before our last premiership.
He is also listed as a 5/8 and 185 cm tall and 94kg.
That makes him our biggest half, and at 18, he has a fair bit of growing to do.

Tall for a half, and probably too tall for a dummy half. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I hope he carves up as a 5/8 myself.

Tall for a half, and probably too tall for a dummy half. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I hope he carves up as a 5/8 myself.

He has the potential to be a big running 5/8 like Wighton, or a Brad Fittler or Lawrie Daley type. His running game is all I've really seen from his time in under 18s. I haven't seen much else from him, but he runs so well he didn't really need to pass or kick.

Back