2020 Top 30 Squad

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by slotmachine, Aug 20, 2019.

1. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Signed
    Barnett
    Gavet
    Guerra
    King
    Lino
    Moga
    Dan
    Jacob
    Saulo
    Watson
    Fitz
    Glasby
    Lee
    Mann
    Sione
    Pearce
    Ponga
    Toa
    Klemmer
    Herman*
    Levi*

That's only 19 signed if Herman and Levi leave.

New Signings
    Brailey
    Capewell?
    Outside Back?

That's 22.

Re-Sign
    SKD?
    Hunt?

6-8 spots to fill upgrading players already here. Going to be interesting to see who they go with.

Lefty likes this.
  2. slotmachine

Also, we have only used 25 players this year so probably not an issue we are replacing blokes like Ross, Woolford, Griffin etc with youngsters.

3. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Sam Stewart

Project Manager
    Based on the above list of currently signed and not allowing for release of any on that list , the resigning of SKD and Hunt ( they have done more than enough to prove their value ) and Brailey as he is the only reported new signing.

We can cover the positions with this number of possible candidates ( arguably ), which is fair cover in all but the obvious Halves area which must be a priority for next year, you don't need a Star ( although that would be nice ) but a capable up and comer with potential even from with in our lower grades.

FB - 5
    Wing - 7
    Centre - 6
    6 - 3
    7 - 3
    locks - 5
    2 nd - 9
    Props - 7
    Hookers - 5
    Utility Backs - 5

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

My first thought when I read this thread this morning was that all these vacancies and lack of talk about filling them would make sense if we have a new coach with his own priorities on the way.
    New coach has 5 or 6 positions to fill, and I suspect a lot more money to spend than we have been led to believe.

Lefty likes this.
  5. Billy

It's a very good position for the new coach to inherit.
    It's a good core squad already signed, and space and money to add his own touches.

Lefty likes this.
  6. Billy

So Best and Momoisea are probably top 30 next year, and i'd say Crossland, Fermor and Hoy will be included.

7. Rob

Rob Marty Crequer

Should be having a red hot crack at getting D. Fifita. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Pearce on if they believe Crossland can be a dominant half...which I have my doubts about

8. slotmachine

Good player but not available until 2021.

Rob likes this.
  9. Rob

Rob Marty Crequer

Thought I read otherwise

10. Rob

Rob Marty Crequer

Gives us time to cycle through these other backrowers with potential...see if they cut it

slotmachine likes this.
  11. slotmachine

2020 very much the time for them to step up. New coach will have plenty of cap space to go shopping for 2021.

In any case I would like to see the priority move from guys that try hard, to more dynamic players.

Rob likes this.
  12. Simon Templar

Project Manager
    Slots, for a team to be successful it takes balance, not sure what your inference is with more Dynamic players is about as they are not the be all ( prime example is MILF ) you need to lay a forward platform both in attack and Defense before he is a threat ( short bursts) in a game, 10 secs brilliance in 80mins doesn't cut it, with out stability and control of the opposition.

When we had the success it was off the back of quick play the balls and sort sharp scoots which broke up the opposition defense, but you need forwards with a physical stature to draw players into the tackle then , get up and perform the quick play the ball without being dominated.

The team we have is relatively sound the way it is although the young ones lack resilience and psychological strength which will come with development, the experienced ones need considered direction with stability of positions and defined roles which will come with new coaching direction and attention, what we need as a priority is another half to run foil either side of the ruck so our attack isn't broadcast by where our only play maker/kicker stands.

13. slotmachine

I mean we have plenty of players that try hard but are either one dimensional or just aren't very good.

A ball playing backrower like Wade Graham or Bateman would be nice. Middle forwards that can offload. Outside backs that can beat a man or have some speed etc.

14. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Would'nt Graham or Bateman be nice although id be inclined to give Graham the 5/8 spot .
    Klem can off load and I reckon Daniel could too but doesn't .
    I think playing well our backs are pretty good.. Ponga , Lee , Hunt , Skd even Moga playing well is a tank. That's a big talented backline and if I was the incoming coach and thought I had the skills to get them to play at there best id be pretty happy with that line up .
    Imo we put together a pretty good half a season, then it all fell apart.
    I don't know why and there's no use worrying about it now its history. For a fairly new team 7 debutants and a heap more that came the season before imo up to about rd 13 we were right in the hunt .
    We won rd1 and lost the next 5 by 10 points or so all up then we won 6 or 7 as I said going well for a new team up to then.
    Then something changed I don't know what but I don't think it was SOO or injuries.
    Hopefully this new coach has the skills to get them to play at there best If he does then imo we have the skills the size and the manpower to be top 4 next season but Obrien has to have them playing at there best consistently .

15. Simon Templar

Project Manager
    Slots, fair call although most forwards can offload, it is generally not part of the "Game Plan" because the coach has a preconceived plan on the order of plays in any set and the random off load tends to disrupt set plays and is therefore frowned upon.

Nothing would excite me more than to watch Connor receive a 2nd phase pass off a forward in broken play and streak 25M , but the forwards need to be given the license to off load and only in specific cases.

16. slotmachine

Yeah Glasby, Klem and Barnett have offloads but don't tend to use them much. Maybe the new coach will give them more license.

17. Simon Templar

Project Manager

Ethan, I agree with everything you have written
    1. It would be nice to have alot of player, but why dream? We have to make do with what we have at the time.
    2. Everyone has the skill to off load but what does it achieve without structure ( Warriors tried it for years)
    3. Backs can hold their own, when given the opportunity, stability and the incentive
    4. For most of the year we were a force , 10 weeks ago something happened that is for sure, what is the $10 million dollar question.
    5. Our recruitment and Junior elevation has been phenomenal, till something caused the rift
    6. Whether it was SOO or Injuries we won't know, but you are right something changed
    7. This new coach appears to have the required skill set to make each and every player better and he appears to lead the way with dedication and inclusiveness.
    8. We do in our current rotation have the size and manpower with some key positional inclusions to be somewhere near the top without wholesale changes.
    9. All we can hope is that all players play at their best consistently.

Wobbles and Ethan like this.
  18. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Thanks mate

19. Owey

Owey Darren Forward

With a new coach comes a clean slate. Obviously he will have his own ideas on who we should now retain. What is everyone's idea on SKD and Hunt, who are off contract now? What about those who have been rumoured to leave but under contract? Namely, Levi, Ese, Gavet and Guerra? I'd probably keep the outside backs and make Guerra first choice on the right edge to firm up the defence on that side at this point. The others I'm ok if they go. I'm sure he'll have ideas on who he'd like to bring in too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

20. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    I really want esse to stay and hopefully he does with the new coach.

SKD needs to be moved on and I’d keep Hunt at centre.

The roster we have is fine, we are not playing finals because of issues deeper than ability.