Pre-season 2024

Haha. Votano I’d be fussed on. He really is special. And still only a baby. Gotta be able to keep juniors even if line is blocked a little. Votano could be a 5/8 with his ball skills or a winger with his height and agility.
Depends on what the player wants and what the team needs. Ponga is one of the best FBs in the game currently. Votano won't take his 1 spot. If he wants to play another position of need for us (wing is one I think he'd be perfect for), and if we need him there when he's ready, try and keep him. If another club throws big money at him for a FB role and that's where he sees himself, I can't see us fighting for him.

Most of the best backs play fullback in Matts - Best, Star Toa, Chris Vealia, Mapapalangi.
Votano could finish up anywhere. He has the height, speed and skills to play any number from 1 to 6.

Yea that's why I was asking about Sharpe. Because he doesn't have the weight to play anywhere other than 1. Hard to see how we don't lose him.

But if he's contracted we can at least trade him and get something useful in return

Very true. Hard to watch good juniors leave. On the other hand Johns and buderus were alright. Hahaha. I really rate Hastings and I think Crossland will be a long time player at the club.
It was interesting how some of those guys careers evolved. Kimmorley played some fg and won games for us when Johns was out. Moved on primarily because of Super League but was always going to because he was an out and out half back. Ennis played some 13 for us but was always going move on because of Bedsy. Buderus himself was killing it at 5/8 in reggies but had M Johns in front of him. Lee Jackson was supposed to be our hooker during that time but never really adjusted to the nrl so Bedsy transformed in to a 9. I think Steve Walters influence on him was understated. Matt Gidley looked like a world beating 5/8 just before that but pushed out wider to get a chance in first grade. Tahu came along when our backline looked stacked, but luckily he could play any one of four positions so saw plenty of top grade when he wasn't first choice so could stick around.

Good clubs would use a talent like Votano in exactly the manner Les suggests, he’d take Gagai’s jersey (or maybe Dom’s old one, with Maps replacing Gags), hopefully give us the first 3-5 seasons of his career when his price tag is still manageable, and then when another club comes calling with fullback money, he leaves amicably. Hopefully he can be to us what Latrell was to the Roosters or Crichton and Farnworth have been to the Panthers and Broncos. Although things aren’t so amicable between Latrell and the Roosters nowadays I guess. But you’d have to say they got much better value out of him than the Bunnies have.

Votano could replace Gagai. The timing is perfect. Gagai has this year and next in him at which point he'll be 35. Votano will be 18/19. That lines up.

Sharpe, no matter how good he is, we simply can't keep him because he is a fullback. Exclusively. And he ain't better that the one we've got.
He looks good but still so early I’ve seen so many kids come and go like him and not make it. Look at Cory Waddell and Karl Filga both got huge contracts even Liki Liki when he was here was devastating in juniors never did anything in the nrl.

If Armstrong leaves as is predicted in next month or two. Are we moving Pryce to FB and bring up Herring or Sutton as 5/8? or Bring Sharpe up to NSW Cup level?

Pryce is playing five-eighth off the bench in the trial and Sharpe looks to be KP’s understudy this season.

If Armstrong and Rivett are both gone, Cant and Rahme are the players who should come into the top squad (I’m pretty sure Myles Martin is already in the top 30). We had too much spine depth and not enough forward depth and this change would instantly rebalance that.

Would leave us with this spine depth chart:

FULLBACK
Ponga
Sharpe
(Pryce)

HALVES
Hastings
Gamble
Cogger
Pryce
(Crossland)

HOOKER
Brailey
Crossland
Jones
(Cogger)

Hard to complain too much about that.

From the Telegraph:

HAMSTRING NIGGLE KNOCKS BRAILEY BACK

Newcastle’s Jayden Brailey is racing the clock to be fit for round one after picking a slight hamstring injury. Brailey won’t play for the Knights this weekend and is considered unlikely to play for them in week two of the trials. The form of Phoenix Crossland last year may leave Brailey starting from the interchange bench or in NSW Cup to begin the year as he makes his way back from another knee reconstruction.

From the Telegraph:

HAMSTRING NIGGLE KNOCKS BRAILEY BACK

Newcastle’s Jayden Brailey is racing the clock to be fit for round one after picking a slight hamstring injury. Brailey won’t play for the Knights this weekend and is considered unlikely to play for them in week two of the trials. The form of Phoenix Crossland last year may leave Brailey starting from the interchange bench or in NSW Cup to begin the year as he makes his way back from another knee reconstruction.

The poor bastard, at some point someone Is going to have to take him out back like Old Yella and just f*********** 😂😫😭😭😭😭😭

Tuala is a pretty good finisher, but does not have the impact coming out of yardage IMO. Don’t know if Jenkins will be better. Neither of them the same yardage impact as Dom.
Dom was driven back in metres in almost as many metres gained at times. His height was often his downfall where as Greg for example was the opposite seeing as he’s shaped like a granite boulder.

I just want to see whoever steps in there run straight like his life depends on it and fold the opposition on first contact.

Tuala always been very decent for us on the wing I have to say.
He was a nightmare in the centres which poisons people's memories I think but he even did OK there last year in the four or five games he filled in.
He’s filled out a lot which made him a handful

Didn’t think Gagai had a good game, but that was more down to a lack of connection with players he’d never played with before.

Back