Your team Vs the Dolphins

Im pretty sure AOB will have mentioned to them a few times they need to win the forwards battle.

They just don't, cant or wont and rarely have.

On the notion that you cant drop a player if the replacement is worse, firstly I cant see how the replacement could be worse than dsaf, and secondly not doing so just sends the message that mediocre performances are ok, in fact here is a starting Jersey.

ID happily take a loss to send a message.
Agree. Send a message.

I'm excited to see how we attack without Ponga, I'd imagine relatively toothlessly.

If I was AOB I'd be drilling into the middles that they must win the battle, and THEN shift wide and give early ball to our centers, Bradman is a unit when given space to wind up and yet we use him as a battering ram in attack.

Without Ponga, our most likely attacking outlets are our centers and our edge back row on both sides. If he's fit I'd be putting Frizell at 13 and ditching this notion of a ballplayer at lock. It doesn't work for us and it never has

My team (pending fitness)

Armstrong
Tuala
Gagai
Best
Marzhew
Gamble
Hastings
Saifiti
Brailey
Thompson
Pearce-Paul
Lucas
Frizell

Crossland
Saifiti D
Jones
Croker

18 Cogger
19 Sua
20 Pryce
21 Cant
22 Jenkins
Agree with this team. If Armstrong is picked it will be good to see a FB following the play and backing up for offloads and quick play the balls.

Armstrong to fullback, gags in the centres and tuala back on his normal wing spot.

I reckon drop Hastings and give Crossland a go at 7, at least he has a massive boot and can kick smart. Lets face it, to win any games we need to go old school up through the middle and just bash opposition teams and pin them down their own area.

Last edited:
Agreed Crosslands has a bigger kick but no matter what position he plays, 6, 7, 9, 13, no reason why he can’t be in place to receive the ball when kick required, even if playing 9 no reason 7 & 9 can’t swap positions for the kick and he also has the pace, faster than Hastings, to chase the ball.

I think we could name 4 forwards on the bench now.
Lucas can fill in for any backline injuries - better than a few of our backline starters in fact - and Brailey is doing 80 minutes now.

I think we could name 4 forwards on the bench now.
Lucas can fill in for any backline injuries - better than a few of our backline starters in fact - and Brailey is doing 80 minutes now.
and drop crossland?? I don't think carrying 4 forwards is a solution to our issues

Hastings isn't going to be dropped when we've just lost our captain, he'll be in the side for his "leadership"

He SHOULD be dropped, but AOB will trot out the same side as the last 7 weeks minus Ponga

Could pick 4 fwds on bench including Lucas and Elliott with Crossland at 13 giving you enthusiasm as well as cover for 6, 7 & 9 and Lucas covering backline injury

Hastings isn't going to be dropped when we've just lost our captain, he'll be in the side for his "leadership"

He SHOULD be dropped, but AOB will trot out the same side as the last 7 weeks minus Ponga
I wouldn't be dropping him ... he's worth sticking with and hoping he can regain his form of last season, and there's no quality alternatives.

I wouldn't be dropping him ... he's worth sticking with and hoping he can regain his form of last season, and there's no quality alternatives.
Agree. But I also don't think he's our long term solution, unfortunately we don't have a future 7 lined up as it stands, at least not for another few years if we were hoping to hedge our bets on the juniors in Matts and Ball.

I don't agree with calls for Crossland at 7, maybe 6 at a push as his energy seems to be beneficial to the team but in the limited time he's had playing in the halves for us he's seemed to try a little too hard and overplay his hand.

The thing about Armstrong at fullback is that he doesn't and couldn't play like Ponga.
Tex Hoy used to do his best Ponga impersonation and we didn't have to change much.
Armstrong means we have to change a lot - he doesn't kick - he doesn't have many try assists, and when he does it just means passing after he has made a line break - not putting guys through gaps etc.

We basically have to have a new gameplan.

The thing about Armstrong at fullback is that he doesn't and couldn't play like Ponga.
Tex Hoy used to do his best Ponga impersonation and we didn't have to change much.
Armstrong means we have to change a lot - he doesn't kick - he doesn't have many try assists, and when he does it just means passing after he has made a line break - not putting guys through gaps etc.

I don't see an issue with this, we need a new game plan anyway as the one we're currently using isn't working.

Is he good at support play?
That would be a nice change.
Need someone following breaks

Back