Wing Wants The NSW No.7

Yeah I don't like him either but once again we don't have a standout option. Matt Orford is a choker, he is the last person I would pick, Mullen and Carney are both young and inexperienced, and then there is kimmorley

Orford is just a chocker, he plays good but them as soon as he is expected to perform in a big game, he goes crap. city country, finals games, or just before origin. He can't handle pressure it would be a disarster

What's the score with SOO? Are players who've left Australia no longer eligible to play in SOO and Test matches? If Trent Barrett or anyone else outside the NRL is better than the pick of the players available then they should play.

If Barrett gets an Origin spot then will Matt Sing get the QLD no.2 shirt?!? :lol:

Nah, it's just like the All Blacks. The fear is that if they allow overseas players to represent then all the players will go overseas! Plus how good would they be after spending all that time flying to Aus, and would the UK clubs release them? (They don't for the Kiwis, unless they fly over and have like a two day preparation).

Fair one. The distance and time taken would be an issue. You have to say that it's a pretty sad indictment of some UK clubs that they rely on the overseas so much that they can't do without them for rep. duties.

Yea as James said, if they allowed that all the Uk players will comeover and play. Although we are loosing some quality players to ENG, the current system works wonders, if you ask me.

I think we are still losing to many players to SL under this system, so its not working 100% right but it is definatley helping, especially to keep young players who have dreams to play rep footy. I think its a good idea not to let overseas players play rep footy, not only because it help keeps players here, but like James said, the travel would wear them out so much

Carney studies JT to improve game
February 04, 2008

REFORMING Canberra playmaker Todd Carney is using his coach's inside knowledge of superstar Johnathan Thurston's game as he seeks to make good on talk he could be NSW's next Origin No.7.

The 21-year-old, whose talent has been overshadowed in recent seasons by a spate of driving offences, said he is picking the brain of coach Neil Henry, who was formerly an assistant at Thurston's club North Queensland.

"Neil's been a big help with me with that because obviously he's worked with Thurston when he was at the Cowboys and he tries to give me as much as he can," Carney told AAP.

"In the last 12 months, with Neil down in Canberra, I try to watch (Thurston's) game very closely because he's the benchmark really at the moment in the halves."

With NSW suffering a trough in their halfback stocks, Carney's name was mentioned by no less than the legendary Andrew Johns last year.

But Carney's attention is more focused on a certain Queensland No.7.

"You can always see that when he's going to go to the line he's always got options," Carney said of Test halfback Thurston.

"You see some halves, they go to the line and they're stuck by themselves but when he goes to the line he's got players with him.

"Any time he runs there's a fair chance he's going to go through so I guess you watch how he demands players and how he shuffles around the field."

One thing about the Dally M medallist that Carney will not be trying to emulate is Thurston's recent night in the Townsville lock-up.

Carney was last year sentenced to 200 hours of community service and banned from driving until 2012, as well as suspended by his club, but the Raiders linchpin said he was confident he could put his off-field problems behind him in 2008.

"2007's long gone for me now," he said.

"That's the good thing about football, you can change your name by one game and that's what I'm going to hope to do in 2008, to wipe 2007 from my mind and everyone else's mind really.

"There's a lot of other blokes in the same position as me at a young age and they do it, so why can't I?"

And Carney has a new positive influence in his life, childhood hero and Raiders legend Laurie Daley, who is working with the club as a coaching consultant.

"Just his presence, him being there, is a buzz and just the little things he picks up that some people don't pick up on is enormous," Carney said.

Daley has been concentrating on getting the young Raiders' on-field talk going.

"He'll pull you aside and go, `why didn't you say this and that?'" Carney said.

"That's a good thing because then you're realising that you've got to say it for it to happen and demand it.

"I sort of want to change the role of halfback at Canberra too, back to a more dominant leadership role."

Carney is aware of the "next big thing" talk and is aiming for NSW Country, and hopefully Origin, selection this year before his four-year deal at the Raiders concludes.

"It's all pretty new to me and also pretty exciting," he said of his off-contract status.

"Canberra's been great to me and there's a great bunch of players and coaching staff down there so I guess there's no real reason to leave, but you have to wait and see how things pan out and what happens I guess."

AAP

I think depending on how Bird goes he might already have a spot cemented in for NSW following his form on game #3 and his Aus test debut. Which means the battle for #7 could be a feirce one with Wing, Kimmorely, Carney and even Mullen again to be considered for the spot.

AussieKnight said:
Bird will be there, hes the only Mofo who isnt afraid to kick peoples arses like Thurston.

whats with the excessive use of Mofo? :razz:

It'll be Bird - Kimmorley Game 1 i reckon...As long as both are fit.

Nah, Kimmorley has done his dash I reckon.

Wait, was he our Game 3 Halfback last year? Maybe he hasnt then...

Im loving the word mofo, it runs off my tounge brilliantly and I dont get in trouble :lol:

Yea.. i think the Selecters decision to choose him for G3, means he could well be the front runner this year.

The others, Wing, Carney and even Mullen would miss out, mainly due to inexperience, i reckon.

NSW has to win this year!!!

AussieKnight said:
Im loving the word mofo, it runs off my tounge brilliantly and I dont get in trouble :lol:

It's a great bloody word. I've been using it for ages. Sadly, I get all these weird looks when I use it. :(

Back