The Worst Thing About Our Kicking Game Is….

Just like you mentioned. Meaningless mid-field bombs with no urgency in kick chase, an inability to kick early in the tackle count and try to sustain defensive pressure in the oppositions half, no creativity.

It’s like we want the other team to have the ball because we have no idea ourselves.

Listening to a Newcastle Knights Podcast heard there was infighting with the team as some didn't agree Marzhew shouldn't have been left out for missing the bus
And that showed during the game because no one knew what they were doing last game
Have a listen to that podcast

this must be the ability to turn 4 points into 6. After almost 4 years AOB has failed to coach a single player to convert tries. 1/3 of available points on offer laid to waste.

this must be the ability to turn 4 points into 6. After almost 4 years AOB has failed to coach a single player to convert tries. 1/3 of available points on offer laid to waste.
Yep agreed. You take the 13 players who mostly play every week and you have a shootout of 5 kicks each from parts all over the field. You'll soon learn who's got it and who doesn't. I'm sure some left of field guys will surprise us.

Tom Cant was an 80%+ kicker in Jersey Flegg and even managed to kick us home in one game where we scored 1 less try.
He doesn't even get a kick now.
If he becomes a regular firstgrader next year, I wonder if they'll suddenly remember he used to kick.

Tom Cant was an 80%+ kicker in Jersey Flegg and even managed to kick us home in one game where we scored 1 less try.
If he becomes a regular firstgrader next year, I wonder if they'll suddenly remember he used to kick.
He was in a kicking challenge video at the start of the year with Jackson Hastings, Lachie Miller, Tyson Gamble, Kalyn Ponga and Berrick Barnes.

He’s not a goalkicking coach …

The kids always down at largs oval kicking for hours. He clearly enjoys it. Hopefully when he becomes a mainstay he will kick.

Tyson gamble has a 100% strike rate in the NRL although only kicked 3 from 3. But has kicked 153 goals in nsw/qld cup not sure of strike rate cant be any worse than miller or hastings.

Tyson gamble has a 100% strike rate in the NRL although only kicked 3 from 3. But has kicked 153 goals in nsw/qld cup not sure of strike rate cant be any worse than miller or hastings.
Not sure either of his kick percentage in qld/nsw cup games but have watched quite a few of those and my recollection was he was quite a good kicker then.

Haha good question. He should definitely have got a Daryl Halligan goalkicking coach in if he hasn't.
that was my point really, a goal kicking coach working with all kickers through the grades , 4 years on and we'd have some pretty handy kickers in FG and coming up through the grades by now.

This is AOB responsibility no?

I wouldn't think a modern day head coach does much traditional "coaching" at all these days. He's more a man manager, the person steering the course, setting the standards, the mission statement, the brand and style of the footy played, game plan etc etc. Surrounding himself with the right people to do the actual coaching, teaching players.

Last edited:
Back