The Run Home

5 games to go

Sharks (A)
Storm (H)
Cowboys (A)
Broncos (A)
Eels (H)

Some tricky games in there that could go either way. How does everybody see us going?

I reckon W-L-W-W-W, and we finish on 31 points. Hopefully get a spot in the top 6 and a home final.

Yeah I thought that we'd only drop the game against Melbourne too, but the Brisbane draw has severely dented my confidence! Plus we've got a few injury concerns ... I'm now looking at that draw and thinking it looks really tough. Doesn't help that Brisbane and North Queensland both played well last round and might suddenly be back in form.

I thought the storm was the only difficult game, but Cronulla can beat any team on any day, and the storm well 68 points they have hit form at the right time again been cruising all year... the other games you would think would be easy but damn Brisbane made us look like an September holiday team so who knows...

L-L-W-W-W

I think we're good chances against all of them if we're being fair dinkum. Broncos at Suncorp is hardly a threatening or intimidating place. We've done well in Townsville & beat Cronulla there last year.

Storm game at least is at home.

We have a good rivalry with Cronulla so that match could go either way. Melbourne match will be difficult but hopefully we can pull of an upset. I reckon we can beat the cowgirls, beat Brisbane and defiantly beat the hapless Eels.

We might scrape out 3 wins if Gower plays halfback for the rest of the year.

Hopefully 29 points is enough to sneak into 7th or 8th.

Is it just me or do we ever get to play a team out of form? You can guarantee sandow will find form and hayne will be back for our game. I just feel we deserve to be higher on the ladder. Especially above a team with - 104

Very nervous, at this time of the year we always look back & think we should of won that game & this game & if only we did, we wouldn't have to be worrying about the run home all the time.

I think the Eels game is the only certainty!

Going on our from from the whole season so far it wouldn't surprise me if we went LLLLW

Every team we play bar Parra are desperate to get a roll on so if we can match their desperation we'll be in with a chance but I have a bad feeling atm!

I'm usually quite optimistic too...

Last edited:
Yeah I see Eels, one of Broncs/Cows and (maybe) Sharks as the three wins.

No chance we go 4 from 5, 2 from 5 much more likely.

Well, I'm not feeling confident about this weekend. If I was forced to make a prediction, it would be: L-L-W-W-W.

WLWWW for me, There is no reason we can't beat the Broncos, Eels, Cowboys and Sharks...

They are winnable games !!

We're $2.60 outsiders against the Sharks.
I think it will be closer than that, but Knights definitely underdogs.

I see Brisbane in Brisbane as our hardest remaining game

Really do not wanna lose another home game this season, 3 is really more then enough aswell as a draw. I think we can beat Melbourne remember we only lost to them by 2 points in Melbourne.

The thought of no wins in 3 home games in a row at this time of the year is not good.

Knights look to three wins for play-offs

435692-bennett.jpg

Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett leads training at Balance in Mayfield. Source: News Limited

THREE lousy wins.

When you have prevailed in 422 first grade games as Wayne Bennett has, building a win pile so high he can look down on all the detractors who reckon he could, if anything, have won more than seven premierships, three more should not be so hard for his Knights to find and qualify for the finals.

In Bennett's first season after accepting Knights owner Nathan Tinkler's top-dollar bid, he did not coach in the finals for the first time in 20 years.A second failure as the game's best-paid coach would not look too smart on the game's best coaching résumé.

Especially as Rick Stone smuggled the 2011 Knights into eighth place, and a 10-point loss to Melbourne in the first week of the finals, despite Stone's five long months as a lame duck filling Bennett's seat at Newcastle.

It helps the eighth-placed Knights over the next five weeks that they have an odd number of points from last Friday's draw with Brisbane.Also the two sides above them on the table as well as all those beneath them have a negative points differential, while Newcastle are plus-79, which is important should there be a tie on competition points.

"At the position we are in, the one point is really valuable to us. It will make a difference at the end of the season," Bennett predicted last Friday as he set sail for the 29 competition points which will ensure a finals place.

"Kade (Snowden) is back (against Cronulla) and James McManus will be back. Kurt (Gidley) is getting close (after 11 weeks out with a torn ligament in his foot). It's looking up for us."

Newcastle's away clash with the hardy Cronulla on Saturday is followed by a home match against the even more hard-nosed Melbourne.From there, the draw becomes kinder, with away games against North Queensland and Brisbane.

One or both may have the disincentive by then of having been killed off as finals contenders.Lastly, comes a home game against Parramatta, but Bennett's former Broncos lieutenant Darren Lockyer is not convinced his old coach will see the promised land of September again.

Read More: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ns-for-play-offs/story-fni3gf5j-1226694433981

Last edited:
They will all be hard games with all except the Eels competing for a spot and the Storm looking for a one/two finish.

Cowboys were always going to win some games. Happens to every team once the coach gets the tap on the shoulder. I just wish they done that to him a couple months ago.

If we beat Melbourne, we'll go undefeated for the rest of the year, if not, we'll win our last 2 and scrape in.

Back