The pre-season thread - 2022

Harsh to say he has hands like feet at this stage. Though didnt some source from UK say something along those lines. Fans on a UK forum?

Anyway, I thought he showed a lot of promise last year in his NRL stints, and no doubt was struggling for fitness.

Another NRL pre season should set him for this season and he has learned a bit more on what it takes to compete at NRL level.

Im looking forward to seeing what he can deliver in 2022.
 
I can't remember what injury Young had, but I think it was a leg injury that restricted his training.
He debuted in round 3 and had a pretty good game after setting reserve grade on fire in the first few rounds.

After that he didn't play again till round 12 in reserves and round 14 in firsts.
His fitness was down and he struggled to go the full 80.
I think we have to wait to see him fully fit to see if he still gets tired and makes unforced errors. I don't think he will - but even if he does - I remember Timana Tahu did that for about 2 years when he made firstgrade as a kid, and we put up with a few errors because of all the speed and class he had.
 
I've been told he did his knee in the round 4 game in reserve grade.
He was out for 8 weeks and when he came back he was tracked as 4th fastest in the NRL for the season -
Addo-Carr 38'1 km/h,
Saab 38 km/h,
Coates 37.6 km/h,
Young 37.4 km/h.
 
I can't remember what injury Young had, but I think it was a leg injury that restricted his training.
He debuted in round 3 and had a pretty good game after setting reserve grade on fire in the first few rounds.

After that he didn't play again till round 12 in reserves and round 14 in firsts.
His fitness was down and he struggled to go the full 80.
I think we have to wait to see him fully fit to see if he still gets tired and makes unforced errors. I don't think he will - but even if he does - I remember Timana Tahu did that for about 2 years when he made firstgrade as a kid, and we put up with a few errors because of all the speed and class he had.
Timana went from the kid you described to a very fit flyer that worked so hard that he had to have his calves downsized lol ( dont remember what its called ) as they were too big for the skin to contain . I always wondered how they did that ...Anybody know .
As far as Young is concerned i still think he should play centre , he may be fast but imo his stop,turn and chase is too slow for a winger.
I didnt think he did too bad with errors except a couple of defensive errors and he has a good pass and fend .
 
Timana went from the kid you described to a very fit flyer that worked so hard that he had to have his calves downsized lol ( dont remember what its called ) as they were too big for the skin to contain . I always wondered how they did that ...Anybody know .
As far as Young is concerned i still think he should play centre , he may be fast but imo his stop,turn and chase is too slow for a winger.
I didnt think he did too bad with errors except a couple of defensive errors and he has a good pass and fend .
They make a deep cut all the way down the side of your calves to relieve the pressure within the fascia compartment. It’s called a fasciotomy. Not really to do with his muscle size
 
Timana went from the kid you described to a very fit flyer that worked so hard that he had to have his calves downsized lol ( dont remember what its called ) as they were too big for the skin to contain . I always wondered how they did that ...Anybody know .
As far as Young is concerned i still think he should play centre , he may be fast but imo his stop,turn and chase is too slow for a winger.
I didnt think he did too bad with errors except a couple of defensive errors and he has a good pass and fend .
I agree he is a centre with a massive left arm fend and good Gidleyesque flick offload with his right. I think he may start making fg as a winger, but will.end up as a right centre.
 
He's got a lot of growth to still have too. He's only 20 which is one thing, but coming from his background too, coming up through the England system. I'm not over there, so I don't really know, but I can't imagine the pathways are as rigorous with as high level training & knowledge as we have over here. League isn't huge over there, whereas here it's a premier sport. So he's already coming from a handicap.

If he's mentally prepared to lift to NRL standards, with training, preparation, off field etc. then yeah, can't wait to see him after 30-40-50 games as he builds his in game experience.
 
That make a great trivia question one day, "Which knights premiership winning centre partnership were born on the same day?"

Oh sh!t have the storm put in an offer for both of them?

Bah, you put Knights premiership winning centre partnership and ruined it...

So, you were day dreaming then.
 
I've been told he did his knee in the round 4 game in reserve grade.
He was out for 8 weeks and when he came back he was tracked as 4th fastest in the NRL for the season -
Addo-Carr 38'1 km/h,
Saab 38 km/h,
Coates 37.6 km/h,
Young 37.4 km/h.
Young was in Coles Kotara recently... I hope he finds new friends as they were trying to leave the establishment without paying for goods...

Last thing we need is more bad press in a pre season...
 
Young was in Coles Kotara recently... I hope he finds new friends as they were trying to leave the establishment without paying for goods...

Last thing we need is more bad press in a pre season...

Let’s hope we don’t have Owen Cragie #2 disgrace the way Rugby League doesn’t look after country kids.
 
What’s the thoughts on the fullback position now having enough depth to be able to move ponga to 5/8? Strengthens the halves for sure.

Best at fullback would be interesting. Would run riot up the middle around tired forwards and is strong enough to bust the line even when the forwards are fresh. As well as demolish smaller halves once singled out. Defence and positioning would be the question mark.

Gaga has played with some of the best fullbacks of the past ten years and no doubt would be safe as houses, still dangerous and would keep the defensive line in position. He’d be grateful for the opportunity and most likely make the most of it.

Then there’s to’a, hodgson and hoy as depth.

1. Best/Gagai/To’a/Hodgson/Hoy
2. Hunt/Young/Musgrove
3. Young/Hunt
4. Gagai/Best
5. Tuala/To’a
6. Ponga
7. Clifford

The first line would be my pick but a combination of this would be a much more balanced team with plenty of depth for each position having Crossland, Clune etc.
 
Back
Top